Rush Album Listening Marathon

The Cat 3

Greetings Net Boys and Net Girls...

So, I started a Rush listening marathon today.

My plan is to listen to all of their studio / live / compilation albums in chronological order.

I "borrowed" this idea from the lovely Animate, so I'm dedicating this marathon to her, a great Rush sister.

So. Who is with me?

• Like 2

I'm not doing the same thing as you, but I'd decided recently to put all the Rush on my ipod on random - albums and live albums, about 550 songs. I was missing the smaller amount of Rush I was ending up listening to on my new big ipod. :(

But this is a great idea, and I bet it's going to be fun, especially if there are albums or tracks that you don't listen to often! :) Wonder how long it'll take you?

• Like 2

That is so cool Mika...

...random order is fun, because it like having your own Rush radio station and not knowing what to expect next.

Welcome to the marathon my Rush friend!

RGLT

I do the same thing as Mika. All studio albums, live albums and compilations on my iPod on shuffle. I quite often listen to RUSH for 9+ consecutive hours at work. On tuesday I heard Tom Sawyer 13 times.

I do the same thing as Mika. All studio albums, live albums and compilations on my iPod on shuffle. I quite often listen to RUSH for 9+ consecutive hours at work. On tuesday I heard Tom Sawyer 13 times.

Tom Sawyer 13 times and still loving every second! :)

I'm a big fan of doing this kind of thing, and I would love to. You all certainly have my full support. But a listening marathon, to me, implies the listening at least several consecutive hours of listening (nay, perhaps even more) before any other facet of life interrupts- and that's just not feasible for me. I'm envious! So enjoy.

And what's that, a job during which you get to listen to music all day? Where can I find one of those?? (Hmmm, and as long as I'm starting this little wish list, one that pays about twenty grand more would be nice as well. But we can't have everything).

The closest I've come to this recently was over the weekend, when I listened to all of Snakes and Arrows Live, AFTK, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves while doing yard work. It was nice.

I recently delved into the catalog much like billybobjoe1881 did...I have absoutely everything possible digitally so I simply put it on random and let it go. Like a radio station, I just simply get to listen and let "someone/thing" else do the work. I'm fortunate to work in a job where I can throw on the headphones, put my chin down, and work. I also commute 4 hours per day, so my time on that particular day was filled with Necromancers, Analog Kids, and Wreckers. What a great day and I hope to do it again very soon. That being said, my next marathon adventure is to play my entire collection on vinyl; with the caveat being of course that not everything in their catalog was released on vinyl.
  • Like 1

Well I just did my simplified version of the marathon about a month ago.

All 19 studio albums (Feedback and the "Not Fade Away" single not included) in 2 days!

• Like 1

I cannot make it through the first album...it really is my least fav Rush album by a mile. Since the release of CA I've been going back through all of them. FBN is such a good listen, whimsical almost. Don't get the hate for Rivendell...I love that song. CoS is so ambitious and eerie, dark and compelling.

Skipped 2112, but hit FTK and Hemi . I still enjoy AFTK much more than Hemispheres. Hemispheres is just overdone to me...some great music on it, but the epic just doesn't capture me the way book 1 does.

Since the tour I've been hammering all the synth era music. Geddy's was really growing in that period. RTB's has been one in my rotation for awhile. I just enjoy that album very much.

Skipped Presto, and hit Counterparts like Larry the Cable Guy at a buffet---great record. Lively, fresh, coarse. Then came T4E...I forgot how much I hate most of that album. I was driving and listening and had to turn it off.

Then I went to VP. Dunno why but that album really hits me lyrically and musically. Ged's playing is so experimental. His voice is passionate. Even though the mix is lacking to say the least—still a really good record to me. S & A didn't last long on the stereo because I was salivating to play CA.

Question... what is the best release of the eariler albums ? I bought the Sector 2 releases but wondering if there are any others that are better, in your opinion(s).

thanks

Yesterday's additional spins...

Right, there's my answer, then. OK, carry on...

Rush music over the past few decades has had so many different styles and textures that I don't think I could listen to the whole catalog chronologically. At some random time I could be listening to Permanent Waves and a song from Hold Your Fire might pop in to my head. And I have very little self-control about that kind of thing, so I would inevitably listen to some things 'out of order'. WHat can I say, though? I've gotta be me.

• Like 2

Yesterday's additional spins...

Right, there's my answer, then. OK, carry on...

Rush music over the past few decades has had so many different styles and textures that I don't think I could listen to the whole catalog chronologically. At some random time I could be listening to Permanent Waves and a song from Hold Your Fire might pop in to my head. And I have very little self-control about that kind of thing, so I would inevitably listen to some things 'out of order'. WHat can I say, though? I've gotta be me.

I couldn't agree more...I find myself often listening to an album, and then switching to something from a different era, just to change the "tone" of the music. One isn't necessarily better than the other...just different. That's why I sometimes let "random" run through my playlist...for the whimsical lack of order.

• Like 1

oooooo! What a coincidence- I listened to :rush: two times yesterday! I just love the first album. Not just the "hits" (e.g. Finding My Way, In the Mood, and Working Man) - but the other songs as well. They are heavy and quirky and I love the lyrical innocence.

"Here Again" and "Before and After" are two of my all-time favorite songs. I do realize though that maybe if they had been cut down in length or re-organized a bit- then more people might like them. As it is, they take several minutes to sort of get going and because of that, most people just never give them a real chance. But the solo in "Here Again".. :rose:

• Like 2

I may re-do my marathon and do full reviews of each album, song-by-song in order. Because the internet needs my worthless opinions on Rush albums.

I think that would be great.

You've got a great appreciation for music and I'm certain you'd offer some interesting insights.

I say, go for it!

I have my own Rush playlist on my iPod. I've listened to them, almost exclusively, for the past three years. I'll listen to other stuff here and there for a day or so, but Rush has just spoiled my brain for other music.
  • Like 2

I started a marathon today like the one in the OP. I'm going through all the studio albums and then I'll go back and do the Live ones. I made it from RUSH to Face Up on Roll The Bones today.
  • Like 1

I run this as I can. Rarely do I make it through the entire catalog without an interuption. My iPod is my main music source these days. I have a Rush playlist with all of the studio albums (including Feedback) - I usually start at The Garden and shuffle the studio catalog from there. Then I have to interrupt that for one reason or another (I had to play Tom Sawyer for someone the other day...you know Rush....the band....Tom Sawyer...here, listen...no??? really ... :sigh: ) No song may be skipped.

I've made it end-to-end once in a few days in the last six months. I get a great selection most days.

I'm on your marathon, but my pace is my own. All Rush albums are open for play in this iteration :)

Today

Tom Sawyer

Rivendell

Chemistry

What You're Doing

Madrigal

Xanadu

Animate (R30)

Distant Early Warning

The Larger Bowl

Witch Hunt

Red Barchetta (ESL)

BU2B2

Second Nature

One Little Victory (Retrospective III remix)

The Trees (DS)

Carnies

2112 - Temples (2112 Deluxe Edition, Northlands Coliseum 1981)

A good day.

Rush concert tomorrow. A lot of Rush will be played tomorrow. :D

• Like 1

I completed my studio play through today. I forgot how awesome Test For Echo is and how horrible Vapor Trails is.

I've listened to All The Worlds A Stage, Live at the Hammersmith Odeon 1978(Different Stages) and up to YYZ on Exit Stage Right. I never listen to the old live albums, and damn do the boys sound good.

• Like 1