Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Thread

Slightly off topic, because there isn't any Heartbreakers creditted, but Petty's Highway Companion is a beautiful album. It would probably sit in my top 10 albums.

I quite agree...this is a perfect album start to finish.

The song, "Square One" is one of the best songs ever recorded.

I actually consider that to be the best of his Warner Bros. albums. Very underrated.

• Like 1

Petty in heavy rotation locally. Caught this track on the drive home. I guess I am a fan...when tracks like this come on, I always turn it up.

I think Breakdown is one of the coolest guitar leads ever. I love Tom Petty, solo and with The Heartbreakers.
  • Like 1

I think Breakdown is one of the coolest guitar leads ever. I love Tom Petty, solo and with The Heartbreakers.

The background vocals a killer as well...that "Aahaaaa...". The tremolo in the voices is perfect.

• Like 1

HUGE Petty fan. Ive wanted to see him live for the longest time. I missed him in Raleigh a few years back. Very disappointed. It's a shame about Stan Lynch not being in the band and not having been for almost 20 years. IMHO, Stan was a ginormous part of the Heartbreakers.

I know this isn't "classic" Tom Petty, but it's the first song that came to my mind, and one of my very favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UD0c58nNCQ&feature=player_detailpage

ONE OF MY FAVE SONGS OF THE EIGHTIES

• Like 1

I know this isn't "classic" Tom Petty, but it's the first song that came to my mind, and one of my very favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UD0c58nNCQ&feature=player_detailpage

Got to see them do it live one time. Was a benefit concert for artists rights at the Forum in Feb. of '02. It was in order of appearance: Sheryl Crow, John Fogerty, Stevie Nicks, Billy Joel and The Eagles. Tom Hanks introduced Stevie and Tom Petty came out halfway through her set and they did I believe 3 songs together including Stop Draggin' My Heart Around, Great song and great performance. Helluva night that night was., Show started at like 7:00 and didn't get over til around 1:00 AM.
  • Like 1

I like my Tom Petty just like I enjoy my steak.....

Rare and just slightly funny in the middle...............

How can anyone say Draggin is not classic. Its one of his most well known songs.

I love the Heartbreakers demo version released on the Feedback box.

No Stevie. Her voice grates on me sometimes

Stevie on top form is magic...especially in Mac complemented by the other vocalists. But solo, I have to agree, something about her gets to me in a bad way after several songs.

I love her though! Very, very much!

Just want to say I played Damn The Torpedoes and it was love at first sight!

I already know this is another top ten artist in the making. Sheesh...I did not expect to basically wanna get married after just 40 minutes but, ya know...I DO!

• Like 1

I just bought the Live at Fillmore West. With Howie Epstein on bass. RIP Howie. Very good DVD.

I also read his biography by Warren Zanes. Book was okay, but got a little boring.

He seems like a great guy to work with.

Edited by John V
  • Like 1