The VIKINGS thread

H. P. L.

Vikings update: Bjorn went into the wilderness solo to "find himself", and found a complete badass inside. Princess Gisla has gone from being a prude to being a sex crazed vixen, thanks to Rollo finally learning the Frankish language. Ragnar is tripping on hallucinogens given to him by his oriental slave, now ex-slave, and eating snakes. Judith tells her father the King of Northumbria to f**k off, only more politely than that. Floki is once again imagining himself as being a mouthpiece for the pagan gods, apparently this time with the blessing of the Seer. Aethelwulf and Kwenthrifth are developing their own romance, which is convenient for Judith and King Ecbert. Emperor Charles seems as much of a puss as ever. This newcomer Harold Finehair who wants to be king of all Norway dares to sit in Ragnar's chair, not making Ragnar happy . . .

All in all, quite entertaining, imo.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert
  • Like 2

Best episode of the season so far. More stuff with the Vikings and less of everything is what's best for this show. I don't mind the things going on in England and France being part of the show. But it shouldn't over take what's going on with the Vikings like it did a few times this season.

I'm interested in this newcomer but something tells me Ragnar will kill him pretty quickly and he may not be around too long.

Oh dear sweet Odin, I love Lagertha so much.

LOL, yeah, that was rather wicked, but well deserved. Don't ever try to screw over Lagertha.

I admit, I didn't see that coming at all.

And that slimy son of so and so is obviously going to get killed when Bjorn gets back to town, no question about it now.

This season has been REALLY good so far. And to think we have like 16 more to go.. damn that's awesome!

It is sorta' sad to see Ragnar getting old and hobbling around though I suppose it was inevitable.

• Like 1

Great one last night.

Episodes like that are the reason I watch this show. It's always exciting when the Vikings sail out on one their adventures. I couldn't imagine how brutal it must of been in those days to have to sail the unforgiving waters like that. Before they mentioned about getting blown off course, I was wondering to myself how often that happened? How many Viking boats may have gotten lost at sea when they did this ages ago?

Those guys getting burned alive was pretty damn nasty. And the Vikings do it because they can and nothing more.

Ecbert, are you f'ing stupid? You can't have a little kid walk that many damn miles.

Lagertha, I still love you.

Floki becoming friends with the new guys may spell trouble for Ragnar.

They know of Rollo's betrayal now, what will Ragnar do about this? Or will someone else take matters into their own hands?

Things are picking up now. Really looking forward to what's next.

Show has been renewed for a 20 episode fifth season. It looks like this show's got some legs now :LOL:

• Like 2

Damn, last night's episode was awesome!!

The French kicked the ever living shit out of the Vikings, man is Ragnar pissed!!

Rollo is public enemy #1 for sure now.

But what the hell was that weird Floki screwing scene at the end about? Like him, I too had no idea what the hell just happened.

• Like 2

Oh wow, I forgot to talk about last week's episode.

That first fifteen minutes or so was fantastic. The French were prepared this time and destroyed the Vikings. No doubt Rollo being on their side helped since he has intimate knowledge of how Ragnar and company work and was no doubt able to come up with a strategy to turn them back. Didn't expect them to get their asses decimated like that though. Not sure what else they can do? They may have to turn back and forget about another raid if they can't find a hole in the defense of the French.

It will be interesting to see the progression of Ragnar's insanity. He will no doubt lead his people into more deadly situations if he's no thinking clearly.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I'm referring to the two assassinations - Didn't see that coming

Eh, two minor support characters went down, no big deal.

List of characters whose deaths would really shake up the show:

Ragnar (I suspect this is coming soon)

Lagertha

Bjorn Ironside

Rollo

Floki

King Ecbert

That's about it. Maybe Aslaug too but I get the impression nobody really likes her and wouldn't care if she was killed off.

• Like 1

Which two do you mean, specifically, since there were actually 3 characters killed off in that one show. Odo, Kwenthrith, and Yidu.

I was most suprised at Yidu's death. Not really by the two others being killed off, though I was indeed surprised at the manner in which Odo was killed off. Fitting end for him though, with his fetish for whips.

• Like 1

Eh, two minor support characters went down, no big deal.

List of characters whose deaths would really shake up the show:

Ragnar (I suspect this is coming soon)

Lagertha

Bjorn Ironside

Rollo

Floki

King Ecbert

That's about it. Maybe Aslaug too but I get the impression nobody really likes her and wouldn't care if she was killed off.

I would not like it if Judith died. I like her character quite a bit.

I am still wondering, like I was by the end of last season, when the show will suddenly advance several years like it did before when Bjorn went from being a boy to a grown young man. I think that is the writer's intent eventually. Little Alfred on his pilgrammage to Rome just has to be the historic Alfred the Great. And the sons of Ragnar all grew up to make famous names for themselves too, every bit as much as Ragnar if not more so. Only two episodes to go this season, right? Think there is a chance Ragnar might finally bite the bucket by the end of this season?

If he does, that would not dampen my enthusiasm for the show next season. To me, Ragnar is not essential to the show anymore. Even if he were killed off, the show would go on just fine, imo.

Edit: on rereading your post, I see you specifically said: " Ragnar (I suspect this is coming soon)"

Hmmm . . .

It has come to my attention that next episode is merely the "Mid-Season Finale", not the "End of Season Finale". I have been unable to find any schedule for when the second half of this season is supposed to run , except that it is supposed to happen in 2016.

Anybody have any idea?

Im guessing the next ten episodes will air some time in the fall. Usually mid season breaks last a few months. It's become common for some cable shows to do a mid season break. I don't like it but I get that they want to try and build up hype for their shows and try to drive up the viewership.

It worked for Breaking Bad and Walking Dead so now the mid season finale has become a thing.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I was surprised at how the episode developed right from the beginning. I was expecting the showdown between Ragnar and Rollo to happen at the end of the episode, instead of right at the beginning.

I was not expecting the Frankish king to suddenly execute Rolland and Terese, but thought it was kind of cool when he did. He is not the helpless fool I originally had him pegged for.

After that, the fast forwarding in years which I had been expecting for some time did in fact happen. Ragnar's sons seem like a promising lot. Bjorn the oldest and wisest of them, because of his years. Then, Ragnar's dramatic return and in-your-face-challenge to everybody.

Ragnar's wife the queen is not going to be happy. I got the distinct impression that she was quite satisfied with the state of things during Ragnar's long absence.

Hmmm . . . now the Viking world is aware of the betrayal in England, and will want Revenge.

• Like 1

When you look at how much the kids have grown, how long would you say Ragnar had been gone for? Maybe ten years? I don't mind that they did the fast forward but I think that should have been saved for after the mid season break. I would have liked to have seen more of the direct aftermath of the battle and what happened to my dear Lagertha before they went forward. Plus, I think Ragnar coming back that soon really didn't mean too much since in the viewer timeline he never really left. Should have held it off until a few episodes in the second half before he came back. Make it at least seem like he's been gone for a long time.

With that minor gripe, I did enjoy the episode overall and I look forward to what's next. I was surprised nobody major died in the battle but we still don't know about Lagertha. She wasn't shown or mentioned after the fast forward.

I wonder if Bjorn with answer Ragnar's challenge?

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

would have liked to have seen more of the direct aftermath of the battle and what happened to my dear Lagertha before they went forward. . . . . .

we still don't know about Lagertha. She wasn't shown or mentioned after the fast forward.

I feel sure she is still alive. She was just wounded in the battle.