Jann Wenner Reacts To Alex Lifeson RRHOF Speech

rushgoober

Jann Wenner, co-founder of Rolling Stone magazine and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame had some choice words in response to the recent acceptance speech by Alex Lifeson, guitarist of the Canadian band Rush at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony held at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on April 18th, 2013.

"We work really hard each year to nominate acts that have contributed substantially to rock and roll over the years. Sometimes our choices aren't popular, and sometimes the people we omit gets us a backlash from fans. They often aren't easy choices to make, and it's a very rigorous process we employ to decide who we nominate.

Rush wasn't the first choice of the nominating committee, but the fan outcry was such that we thought it was finally time to nominate the band. The voters spoke loudly and clearly and decided to induct the band their first year on the ballot. I thought it was very kind of us to nominate the band, as it's no secret that I'm not a big fan of this band, or of progressive rock in general. That said, I thought Lifeson's speech, or lack thereof, was completely disrespectful.

I was of the understanding that Rush was made up of sincere, decent and respectful individuals, and certainly the speeches by Geddy Lee and Neil Peart were indicative of this, but Alex standing there and going blah, blah, blah for 5 full minutes was not only not funny, disrespectful of the Hall and its pantheon of legendary inductees, but a real waste of everyone's time. I don't have final say over what HBO will air when the show debuts on cable next month, but I would seriously encourage them to not air that part of the broadcast.

I'm not immune to the blogosphere. I understand that Alex was trying to make a statement, and that being rebellious is very rock and roll, etc., but that still doesn't make his brazen performance any more acceptable or appropriate. And honestly, this does not bode well for other progressive rock groups if this is the kind of reaction we're going to receive after finally giving these bands a chance. Even though I can't imagine Jon Anderson, or Ian Anderson for that matter, giving us the slap in the face that we just received, I for one am not about to find out. We'll continue to reserve nominations for worthwhile rock and roll bands like Chic, Randy Newman, Abba, The Beastie Boys, etc. - you know REAL rock and roll!

And finally, it wasn't just Alex Lifeson that was disrespectful, but the fans. I understand being enthusiastic about your favorite band, as hard as it is for me to imagine that Rush could be anyone's favorite band with their shrieking banshee wail vocals and nerdy dungeons and dragons songs, but that doesn't mean they had to scream and scream and ruin the night for the other worthy inductees.

I really took the whole thing as a big f*ck you from Alex and Rush fans in general, and I'd like to tell him that the f*ck you is mutual, bitch!"

• Like 2

It is now official. Beyond all doubt. Wenner is a douchebag. He simply doesn't get it. :facepalm:
  • Like 2

It is now official. Beyond all doubt. Wenner is a douchebag. He simply doesn't get it. :facepalm:

Ummmm... :unsure:

Umm ummmm...... Opinions, remember? They're all valid..... ;) ;)

• Like 1

This is a tongue in cheek funny made on behalf of rushgoober for those who thought Alex's blah blah's was disrespectful..

Well done realistic and uncanny accurate no doubt what Wenner, actually thought!!! :P

Although completely on opposite ends of the spectrum I would think John Lydon aka Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols had a smile on his face if he heard Alex's "statement" acceptance... ;)

• Like 3

f**k rolling stone magazine. It's nothing more than an occasional "feel good" article about the old days, but covering some of the crappiest music ever written, rapped or produced.

I received a letter from them wanting me to renew my subscription. (subscription from my grand daughters school drive)

Well guess what. They will get their form back, but it will be much worse than what Alex did. They will never see one more dime of my money.

Wenner Piece of shit.

And it only took me to the end of the OP to realize it!

I thought surely the last line would get anyone who still thought it was legit, but I guess not everyone caught it... or bothered to read my 2nd post where I linked to the article "source." ;)

Jann Wenner, co-founder of Rolling Stone magazine and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame had some choice words in response to the recent acceptance speech by Alex Lifeson, guitarist of the Canadian band Rush at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony held at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles on April 18th, 2013.

"We work really hard each year to nominate acts that have contributed substantially to rock and roll over the years. Sometimes our choices aren't popular, and sometimes the people we omit gets us a backlash from fans. They often aren't easy choices to make, and it's a very rigorous process we employ to decide who we nominate.

Rush wasn't the first choice of the nominating committee, but the fan outcry was such that we thought it was finally time to nominate the band. The voters spoke loudly and clearly and decided to induct the band their first year on the ballot. I thought it was very kind of us to nominate the band, as it's no secret that I'm not a big fan of this band, or of progressive rock in general. That said, I thought Lifeson's speech, or lack thereof, was completely disrespectful.

I was of the understanding that Rush was made up of sincere, decent and respectful individuals, and certainly the speeches by Geddy Lee and Neil Peart were indicative of this, but Alex standing there and going blah, blah, blah for 5 full minutes was not only not funny, disrespectful of the Hall and its pantheon of legendary inductees, but a real waste of everyone's time. I don't have final say over what HBO will air when the show debuts on cable next month, but I would seriously encourage them to not air that part of the broadcast.

I'm not immune to the blogosphere. I understand that Alex was trying to make a statement, and that being rebellious is very rock and roll, etc., but that still doesn't make his brazen performance any more acceptable or appropriate. And honestly, this does not bode well for other progressive rock groups if this is the kind of reaction we're going to receive after finally giving these bands a chance. Even though I can't imagine Jon Anderson, or Ian Anderson for that matter, giving us the slap in the face that we just received, I for one am not about to find out. We'll continue to reserve nominations for worthwhile rock and roll bands like Chic, Randy Newman, Abba, The Beastie Boys, etc. - you know REAL rock and roll!

And finally, it wasn't just Alex Lifeson that was disrespectful, but the fans. I understand being enthusiastic about your favorite band, as hard as it is for me to imagine that Rush could be anyone's favorite band with their shrieking banshee wail vocals and nerdy dungeons and dragons songs, but that doesn't mean they had to scream and scream and ruin the night for the other worthy inductees.

I really took the whole thing as a big f*ck you from Alex and Rush fans in general, and I'd like to tell him that the f*ck you is mutual, bitch!"

I think that this is the way rushgoober truly feels about it. As far as I am concerned, rushgoober, can go BLAH BLAH! :P

I think that this is the way rushgoober truly feels about it. As far as I am concerned, rushgoober, can go BLAH BLAH! :P

:LOL:

:no:

one thing that sorta gave it away...do you think jann wenner even knows who jon anderson is?

there were supposed to be a LOT of elements that gave it away as the article progressed. ;)

that said, i bet he does know who he is! he probably can't stand the guy, but i bet he at least knows who he is.

one thing that sorta gave it away...do you think jann wenner even knows who jon anderson is?

He might know who Jon Anderson is... or who Ian Anderson is... but he certainly does NOT know who they both are :P

He might know who Jon Anderson is... or who Ian Anderson is... but he certainly does NOT know who they both are :P

:LOL:

He does know who they both are, but he knows them as "that hippie prog midget elf" and "that standing on one foot flute freak."

Edited by rushgoober

Funny stuff Goobs and yeah as I read further in it did become more obvious you were pulling our collective leg. But hey while I'm here and were on the subject of the guy.......FUKK Jann Wenner!