RRHOF Article from Hamilton Spectator

Tombstone Mountain

http://www.thespec.com/news/article/920720--stage-set-for-rush-s-induction-into-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame

Toronto prog rockers set for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction on Thursday

http://media.thespec.com/images/13/b0/6659c39041f29b711490125138a7.jpg

Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart of Toronto rock band Rush have produced 20 studio albums over 39 years (and counting). The band is set for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Thursday.

Torstar file photo

It’s the day RUSH fans have waited for, never sure when or even if it would arrive.

The power trio will be inducted into the Cleveland-based Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Thursday.

When the ceremony inside the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles is over, it will bring an official end to the apoplectic scorn fans have unleashed on the rock shrine since 1999, the year RUSH was first eligible for entry 25 years after the release of its first album.

Any objective glance at the numbers — 20 studio albums, 39 years (and counting) of active touring, sold out stadiums across the planet, more consecutive gold or platinum albums by any rock group other than The Beatles and The Rolling Stones — raises only one question.

What took so long? Apparently some people had their heads up their asses.

“There were a group of judges at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame that never liked RUSH from Day 1,” says Donna Halper, a music historian and former music director at WMMS in Cleveland, the first U.S. radio station to play a RUSH song in 1974.

“And they kept RUSH off the ballot every year. I am among the many who called, who begged, who wept, who fasted, who prayed, who did whatever you could possibly do to try to persuade these judges to at least let them on the ballot, let them get an up-or-down vote.”

“I think it’s because Jann Wenner (Hall of Fame co-founder) hates Rush,” jokes Matt Stone, co-creator of South Park and a vocal supporter of the band. “It’s my personal opinion. I have no insider knowledge of that. It just seems like somebody doesn’t like them. I don’t know. Maybe they pissed on his shoe one time or snubbed him at a party. But they’re such nice guys, I don’t think they did anything like that.”

Whatever the reason for this protracted snub, “our long national nightmare,” as Halper calls it, is finally over. And RUSH fans are not holding grudges.

“I think Rush fans, as a generalization, are probably smarter than most people,” says Ed Stenger, a 43-year-old web developer from Cleveland who runs the popular website, Rush Is A Band. “I think most fans now feel this way, which is how I feel: ‘Yeah, I’m frustrated and kind of pissed off at the Rock Hall for ignoring them. But now that they are in, I’m really happy for them and really excited about it.”

Presented by Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters, RUSH will be inducted in the performer category, along with Heart, Randy Newman, Public Enemy, Donna Summer and Albert King. The ceremony will be broadcast on HBO on May 18 at 9 p.m.

Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart have been in Los Angeles this week in advance of the ceremony and before departing for their Clockwork Angels summer tour.

RUSH: An Oral History is available Thursday. Star journalist Vinay Menon sat down with Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart, as well as their family, friends and colleagues to discuss the band’s years together, the trappings of fame, their need to innovate, their near disbandment, and what they consider their secret to success. This is RUSH in their own words. To get your copy, subscribe for only $1 a week at StarDispatches.com or purchase for $2.99 at starstore.ca and iTunes.com/stardispatches.