2013-14 NFL Season Thread

laughedatbytime

Aldon Smith. Sackmaster. Rocket scientist.

Los Angeles police arrested San Francisco 49ers linebacker-defensive end Aldon Smith at Los Angeles International Airport on Sunday afternoon after he indicated he was in possession of a bomb.

Smith was booked Sunday afternoon, according to LAPD Sgt. Michael Fox.

49ers general manager Trent Baalke issued a statement saying: "We are disappointed to learn of the incident today involving Aldon Smith. As this is a pending legal matter and we are still gathering the pertinent facts, we will have no further comment."

According to Los Angeles police public information officer Karla Ortiz, the incident happened as the man later identified as Smith was going through Terminal 1 screening and was randomly selected for secondary screening.

Smith then became belligerent and uncooperative with the process and with the TSA agent, making a comment indicating that he was in possession of a bomb before proceeding toward the gate area, according to Ortiz.

Los Angeles Airport Police made contact with him at the gate and he then became uncooperative again and was detained and taken into custody by Airport Police.

Many people on the scene, including former Marine veteran Clayton Mullaly, captured the incident on video.

This incident is Smith's latest run-in with the law.

In November, Smith pleaded not guilty to three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon, stemming from an incident at a party at his home in 2012.

Smith also missed five games this past season while spending time in an alcohol treatment center. He entered treatment voluntarily three days after he was arrested for drunk driving for the second time since early 2012.

Despite the five-game absence, Smith finished with 12 sacks and 34 tackles over the course of the Niners' season, which ended in a NFC Championship Game loss to division rival Seattle.

Smith, 24, is facing charges for both the arrest for the incident at his home and the September arrest for drunk driving. This latest incident could trigger league discipline. The NFL did not suspended Smith after the September arrest. In October, commissioner Roger Goodell said the fact that Smith voluntarily sought treatment could play a role in him not getting a suspension.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10777877/aldon-smith-detained-los-angeles-airport

The King of Bullsh!t strikes again. Anyone who believes anything Satan says is a fool. The funniest part is in bold.

Nick Saban visited with Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning at the Alabama football offices early last week. Saban also spent time with Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase -- on the same day and in the same location.

But don't connect the dots any further than that, Saban insists.

"I never said we sat down together," Saban said in an interview with The Denver Post on Friday night.

The Alabama coach made headlines Thursday when he told reporters of the visit with Manning and Gase.

The meeting, as Saban described it, was a mutually beneficial experience in which Manning sought out ways to improve his game, Gase was able to talk shop, and Saban and his staff were able to learn a thing or two about the no-huddle offense.

But had the visit of Manning and Gase occurred simultaneously, it might constitute a violation of the NFL collective-bargaining agreement that forbids players from having meetings with coaches before teams begin their offseason workout programs.

Saban's vague language Thursday -- "The two of them were just making some visits" -- seemed to indicate it was a collaborative effort, prompting an NFL review of the matter. Saban's collective use of the word "them" seemed to tie the coach and coordinator together.

Whether it is a punishable violation by the NFL is still to be determined, the league has said.

As Saban told reporters Thursday night: "Since they're a no-huddle team, we had a lot of questions for them, in terms of what gives them problems and what defensive teams do that gives them problems. That was kind of a mutual, hopefully beneficial.

"I know it was a benefit to us. I hope it was a benefit to them as well."

But after a day of the get-together running through the news cycle, Saban spoke with The Denver Post to clarify his comments.

On the eve of Alabama's final spring scrimmage, he told the newspaper that he was "shocked that anybody would think someone did anything wrong" and that this is "what happens when people assume."

"I never met with Adam," he said. "When I talked with him I talked about his family. Peyton, we talked an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. Adam had been talking to our assistant coaches. I never talked with Adam about football."

Saban said Manning and Gase didn't arrive together. If they left together, you'd have to ask them.

"Peyton had called and said he wanted to drop by," Saban said. "Adam had already been around for a couple days when Peyton showed up. It was kind of a coincidence that they were around at the same time. I don't know if they left together but I know they didn't arrive here together.

"I was asked about their visit at my coach's clinic press conference but I never said we sat down together. Because we didn't."

Saban's ties to Manning and Gase are well documented. Saban coached against Manning while at Miami and has been friends with father Archie Manning for some time. Gase, meanwhile, got his start coaching under Saban, first at Michigan State and then at LSU.

It was clear in Saban's tone Thursday that he didn't perceive anything untoward about Manning's and Gase's visits to Tuscaloosa. In fact, Saban used Manning as an example for other athletes to follow.

"A lot of people would say, 'Wow, the guy is one of the best, if not the best, from a career standpoint and about as good as anyone has been in the history of the league,'" Saban said of Manning. "After all the experience and knowledge that he has, he's going out to try and seek more knowledge and understudying of the game of football so he can play better.''

Whether attempting to improve himself as a football player will get Manning or Gase in trouble remains to be seen. If the case of Dallas quarterback Tony Romo and coach Jason Garrett in owner Jerry Jones' suite at the NCAA Final Four is any indication, it might be all smoke and no fire, as the NFL has not come down on the Cowboys.

Terrelle Pryor to the Seahawks...does this spell the end of the Russell Wilson era in Seattle?

:LOL:

• Like 1

The Butt Fumble jersey of Mark Sanchez has been purchased by a Jet fan for $820.

Mark Sanchez did a lot during his time with the New York Jets, but he'll forever be remembered for the "Butt Fumble" back in 2012 against the New England Patriots.

Jets fan Jake Hendrickson was looking through NFL auctions when he found the jersey worn by Sanchez on that fateful day. Instead of letting the jersey fall into the wrong hands, Hendrickson made sure he won the auction, spending $820 on the item.

According to Kristen Dyer of Yahoo Sports, Hendrickson has some pretty intriguing plans for what to do with the jersey one day, with the Jets fan saying:

For now I’ll probably just frame it up real nice and put it on my wall. Until we win a Super Bowl or I can get together enough money to put it on a rocket ship and shoot it to outer space because I don’t think it belongs on this planet anymore.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2074512-new-york-jets-fan-buys-butt-fumble-jersey-for-820

Just read this article,

If this piece of sh** owner does this. I will be so pissed off!! :boo hiss: :madra: :rage:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/raiders-owner-confirms-talks-san-161212117--nfl.html

I would be very surprised if Jerruh Jones allowed another franchise so close to the Cowboys' catchment area. He has plenty of clout in the owners' club if gossip is correct.

I hope the Raiders stay put in Oakland. It's a great franchise. Iconic really.

Edited by Turbine Freight
  • Like 1

I missed the NFL HOF inductions this weekend. Wanna give a big shout out to former Raiders Punter Ray Guy. He was one of the best if not the best punter in NFL history. He was such a great strategic punter. No body could pin a team inside there own twenty yard line like he could. They called it "the coffin corner" back then. Pinning a team inside there own five yard line. If it wasn't for him, the Raiders might have never won any of there three Superbowl victories.

Congrats Mr. Guy. :7up: :haz: It was a pleasure watching you growing up. :cheers:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hall-of-fame/0ap1000000373412/Ray-Guy-s-Hall-of-Fame-Speech

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

Just read this article,

If this piece of sh** owner does this. I will be so pissed off!! :boo hiss: :madra: :rage:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/raiders-owner-confirms-talks-san-161212117--nfl.html

I would be very surprised if Jerruh Jones allowed another franchise so close to the Cowboys' catchment area. He has plenty of clout in the owners' club if gossip is correct.

I hope the Raiders stay put in Oakland. It's a great franchise. Iconic really.

This would make Raider fan the fourth group of fans to be glad Jerruh is owner of the Girls. The others are fans of the Gints, Iggles, and Skins.

Though actually the number is closer to 31.

• Like 1

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/08/20/nfl-reportedly-asking-music-acts-to-pay-for-playing-super-bowl-halftime-show/

The Super Bowl is pro football's biggest stage. It's also the most-viewed annual American sporting event. In recognition of this, the NFL has asked some of the musical acts under consideration to play at next year's big game to pay the league to take the stage, according to a published report.

2 words... F*CK YOU!!

Goodhell is a penny pinching douche.

• Like 1

http://www.foxnews.c...-halftime-show/

The Super Bowl is pro football's biggest stage. It's also the most-viewed annual American sporting event. In recognition of this, the NFL has asked some of the musical acts under consideration to play at next year's big game to pay the league to take the stage, according to a published report.

2 words... F*CK YOU!!

I couldn't possibly care less, given the level of "artists" they're considering. No way in hell my TV is going to be turned to that sh!t. I'd rather listen to Phil Simms do analysis of the first half action for 20 more minutes. With special guest Chris Berman. Or watch the Puppy Bowl.

2 words... F*CK YOU!!

I couldn't possibly care less, given the level of "artists" they're considering. No way in hell my TV is going to be turned to that sh!t. I'd rather listen to Phil Simms do analysis of the first half action for 20 more minutes. With special guest Chris Berman. Or watch the Puppy Bowl.

I couldn't care about the artists performing, but to ask them to pay seems obscene to me.

2 words... F*CK YOU!!

He is such an idiot!!

Watching GB @ Seattle. GB corner named Clinton-Dix. Really? Come on he had to make that up. Lol

First name HaHa...