Rush Vinyl Collection...the Normal and the Abnormal

Kingdirk

Blake sleeves- to protect the album art- got it! Thanks! Great album shots also. They are all in such good shape with no rings on them.

Do you know anything about a special release for NASA? Someone asked me if there was a demo album with songs recorded especially for NASA, with a picture of the space shuttle on the cover. I assumed it must be Signals era, with Countdown. Was there such a thing?

I just found some Roll The Bones CD Singles on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.ca/i...984.m1497.l2649

One of them contains Roll The Bones, Where's My Thing?, Superconductor and It's a Rap Part 3- Neil speaks. The other one contains the tracks Roll The Bones, Anagram and It's A Rap Part 2-Geddy speaks. Now I've gotta find the third or is it first disc with Alex on it.

Edit: I just found http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item5aee2942d0 on Ebay. It's the 7" version.

Looks like you found the "It's a Rap trilogy" as I like to call it. They were released separately at the same time.

I think Roll The Bones (single and album) has the distinction of having the most promotion of any Rush album when you consider the singles, commercial and promotional on various formats.

You're probably going to hate me, but I think I have an extra "Neil speaks" around here if you want it. (For less than the ebay price obviously)

That In Store Sprecial is pretty cool too. I like the bio on the back also. This seems to be the first promotional Rush compilation that has surfaced to date.

Where were you last night? I've already purchased these. :rage:

I just found some Roll The Bones CD Singles on Ebay.

One of them contains Roll The Bones, Where's My Thing?, Superconductor and It's a Rap Part 3- Neil speaks. The other one contains the tracks Roll The Bones, Anagram and It's A Rap Part 2-Geddy speaks. Now I've gotta find the third or is it first disc with Alex on it.

Edit: I just found http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item5aee2942d0 on Ebay. It's the 7" version.

Looks like you found the "It's a Rap trilogy" as I like to call it. They were released separately at the same time.

I think Roll The Bones (single and album) has the distinction of having the most promotion of any Rush album when you consider the singles, commercial and promotional on various formats.

You're probably going to hate me, but I think I have an extra "Neil speaks" around here if you want it. (For less than the ebay price obviously)

That In Store Sprecial is pretty cool too. I like the bio on the back also. This seems to be the first promotional Rush compilation that has surfaced to date.

Where were you last night? I've already purchased these. :rage:

You should consult me before you buy anything from now on!

What's that Geddy Lee great bass features thing? Is it an interview or a bass solo?

It is a radio broadcast recording from Rolling Stone Magazine Productions distributed to radio stations for play during the week of 9/13 - 9/18 1982. It's called "The Continuous History of Rock and Roll - Great Bass". It's an house long broadcast featuring The Who, Cream, Argent, The Kinks, Genesis, and of course, Rush. The Rush tracks on the broadcast are Freewill and Tom Sawyer. Each day of the week, a different artist is featured on Side Four:

9/13 Jack Bruce

9/14 John Entwhistle

9/15 Jim Rodford (Kinks)

9/16 Rick Wills (Foreigner)

9/17 Geddy

9/18 Mike Rutherford

I haven't listened to this yet as it only came in the other day. I've been collecting radio shows on vinyl for a while now and this was my latest addition. I'll be posting the cue sheets of my shows in a bit (lots to post here to share...just need the time to do it). These broadcasts are so cool because they are snapshots in time, including commercials!

I have one like this but it was for Broadcast in 1984 and features Neil. Radio was sure much different back then.

I prefer the Rush specific shows, but I do have some various artists that include Rush.

The purpose of this forum was to hopefully help other Rush vinyl collectors to identify those pieces...both rare and common...that are floating out on the marketplace. There are collections out there that are quite vast and extensive (far moreso than mine and mine is well over 200 pieces!), but I've found that sometimes I need to see, or visualize the actual album/45/bootleg/78 to be able to determine wheter I want it in my collection. Over the weekend, I managed to pull out my standard releases...studio albums and live that were released by the band in an official capacity (aside from a couple that I felt NEEDED to be included...you'll know which ones when you see the photos) and took some photos (sorry for the gloss...they are all packaged in blake sleeves). I split everything up by decade: 70s, 80s, 90s/00s.

First up...the 70s! (the only item that isn't shown is my regular copy of Hemispheres, which is currently on loan to a buddy; and my gatefold copy of ATWAS hadn't arrived yet)

Clockwise from upper left: Rush (Canada), Fly By Night (Canada), Caress of Steel (non-gatefold, Canada), 2112 (Canada), ATWAS (non-gatefold, Canada), Farewell to Kings (UK), Hemispheres (Pic Disc), Hemispheres (Red Vinyl; original sealed), Farewell to Kings (Russian Pressing), Archives (black cover; Canada), Rush/Fly By Night (dual album; West Germany).

I'll post the 80s, 90s, and 00s a bit later today. If you want more photos or closer shots to anything in particular let me know.

http://i.imgur.com/zG7j18f.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pr6s6KJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gbQAUnS.jpg

I know I'd be doomed when I saw this thread.

Those in Canada are so fortunate because a lot of this stuff is either not available or very hard to find in the US.

I took me almost 20 years to find a copy of the Black Archives cover. For the longest time i thought this was a first pressing since it was different than the more common gray cover but it turns out that it's a reissue. i still don't understand the story behind it and why this is so rare compared to the gray cover. I've always found it difficult to find. It was only pressed in canada and it has the custom blue labels with the star man logo on it. Maybe that's why? I'm baffled.

And on to the 80s...

Clockwise from upper left: Permanent Waves (Canada), Moving Pictures (autographed by the entire band; Canada), Exit...Stage Left (Canada), Signals (USA), Grace Under Pressure (Canada), Power Windows (UK - Pic Disc), Power Windows (USA), A Show of Hands (I can't remember where this one is from; gatefold), Hold Your Fire (Canada), Presto (Venezuela), Anthology (Venezuela), Presto (Germany), Rush Through Time (Holland), Rush Through Time (Germany - Pic Disc)

Don't have anything from South America except the Anthology from Venezuela, That cover screams 80s. That Rush Through Time Picture Disc is nice too. May have an extra of those lying around, actually.

For those who have Rush vinyl, or collect it as part of an obsession (oh, wait...that's me), the biggest challenge to complete your collection comes from the albums that were released in the 90s and beyond; or from Presto onwards. The demand for vinyl in the early 90s waned considerably in lieu of the overwhelming popularity of the compact disc. Artists (and their labels) who released vinyl did so appease a dwindling number of audiophiles and true fans. Rush was no different. Several releases by the band in the 90s and beyond were never released on vinyl, such as Different Stages (wouldn't that be saweeeettt?), Rush In Rio, Time Machine, and the one that boggles everyone's mind - Test For Echo, the only studio release to never* be released on vinyl.

*Never officially...see below.

So, without further ado, here is my Rush vinyl collection from the 90s to today (clockwise from the upper left): Roll The Bones (Germany), Chronicles (Germany), Counterparts (Brazil), Test For Echo (yup...here it is. Blazened with an Anthem Atlantic label and everything, this one could more than likely be placed in the "I have no idea where this one is from" pile. It looks incredible and the sound is fantastic.), Vapor Trails (USA, sealed), Feedback (USA, sealed), Clockwork Angels (my LE Red Vinyl edition from Germany hasn't arrived yet), Moving Pictures Live (USA), Snakes and Arrows

So there you have it...the entire Rush catalog (LP-wise) on vinyl. Yes, theoretically T4E shouldn't belong in this group, but it looks so "at home". As time permits, I'll get my 45s/78s/12" singles, promo releases, picture discs, bootlegs, and radio broadcasts photographed and posted. Keep checking back.

I'm covered here save for the aformentioned Test for Echo disc (Which continues to look very sweet, by the way) and I'm still trying to figure out if the Red Clockwork Angels is for real too. I've heard nothing one way or the other.

Those 12 inch Anthems are kind of tough to find too. I've been looking for The Weapon for a while (primarily because of Count Floyd.)

Great pictures so far.

Blake sleeves- to protect the album art- got it! Thanks! Great album shots also. They are all in such good shape with no rings on them.

Do you know anything about a special release for NASA? Someone asked me if there was a demo album with songs recorded especially for NASA, with a picture of the space shuttle on the cover. I assumed it must be Signals era, with Countdown. Was there such a thing?

There's a Countdown Picture disc (Rush P10 with New World Man as the B-side) of the space shuttle Columbia (It's roughly shaped like the space shuttle.) Is that what you mean?

I believe Countdown was used to wake up the crew on one of the missions several years ago. Is that it?

It's also possible that something was made just for NASA and not available to the public.

• Like 1

I have all albums on CD and Vinyl, so that should do it..... :kisshug: :kisshug:

There's a Countdown Picture disc (Rush P10 with New World Man as the B-side) of the space shuttle Columbia (It's roughly shaped like the space shuttle.) Is that what you mean?

I believe Countdown was used to wake up the crew on one of the missions several years ago. Is that it?

It's also possible that something was made just for NASA and not available to the public.

Oooo...now that's a good question. I've never heard of such a thing. I have most (maybe all...not 100% sure) of the Countdown singles (including the spaceship...which is such a cool piece BTW) and nothing is indicated that they were produced specifically for NASA. Something to look into though...

• Like 1

The purpose of this forum was to hopefully help other Rush vinyl collectors to identify those pieces...both rare and common...that are floating out on the marketplace. There are collections out there that are quite vast and extensive (far moreso than mine and mine is well over 200 pieces!), but I've found that sometimes I need to see, or visualize the actual album/45/bootleg/78 to be able to determine wheter I want it in my collection. Over the weekend, I managed to pull out my standard releases...studio albums and live that were released by the band in an official capacity (aside from a couple that I felt NEEDED to be included...you'll know which ones when you see the photos) and took some photos (sorry for the gloss...they are all packaged in blake sleeves). I split everything up by decade: 70s, 80s, 90s/00s.

First up...the 70s! (the only item that isn't shown is my regular copy of Hemispheres, which is currently on loan to a buddy; and my gatefold copy of ATWAS hadn't arrived yet)

Clockwise from upper left: Rush (Canada), Fly By Night (Canada), Caress of Steel (non-gatefold, Canada), 2112 (Canada), ATWAS (non-gatefold, Canada), Farewell to Kings (UK), Hemispheres (Pic Disc), Hemispheres (Red Vinyl; original sealed), Farewell to Kings (Russian Pressing), Archives (black cover; Canada), Rush/Fly By Night (dual album; West Germany).

I'll post the 80s, 90s, and 00s a bit later today. If you want more photos or closer shots to anything in particular let me know.

http://i.imgur.com/zG7j18f.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pr6s6KJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gbQAUnS.jpg

I know I'd be doomed when I saw this thread.

Those in Canada are so fortunate because a lot of this stuff is either not available or very hard to find in the US.

I took me almost 20 years to find a copy of the Black Archives cover. For the longest time i thought this was a first pressing since it was different than the more common gray cover but it turns out that it's a reissue. i still don't understand the story behind it and why this is so rare compared to the gray cover. I've always found it difficult to find. It was only pressed in canada and it has the custom blue labels with the star man logo on it. Maybe that's why? I'm baffled.

LOL...sorry about that! Didn't mean to doom you! :oops:

And on to the 80s...

Clockwise from upper left: Permanent Waves (Canada), Moving Pictures (autographed by the entire band; Canada), Exit...Stage Left (Canada), Signals (USA), Grace Under Pressure (Canada), Power Windows (UK - Pic Disc), Power Windows (USA), A Show of Hands (I can't remember where this one is from; gatefold), Hold Your Fire (Canada), Presto (Venezuela), Anthology (Venezuela), Presto (Germany), Rush Through Time (Holland), Rush Through Time (Germany - Pic Disc)

Don't have anything from South America except the Anthology from Venezuela, That cover screams 80s. That Rush Through Time Picture Disc is nice too. May have an extra of those lying around, actually.

For those who have Rush vinyl, or collect it as part of an obsession (oh, wait...that's me), the biggest challenge to complete your collection comes from the albums that were released in the 90s and beyond; or from Presto onwards. The demand for vinyl in the early 90s waned considerably in lieu of the overwhelming popularity of the compact disc. Artists (and their labels) who released vinyl did so appease a dwindling number of audiophiles and true fans. Rush was no different. Several releases by the band in the 90s and beyond were never released on vinyl, such as Different Stages (wouldn't that be saweeeettt?), Rush In Rio, Time Machine, and the one that boggles everyone's mind - Test For Echo, the only studio release to never* be released on vinyl.

So, without further ado, here is my Rush vinyl collection from the 90s to today (clockwise from the upper left): Roll The Bones (Germany), Chronicles (Germany), Counterparts (Brazil), Test For Echo (yup...here it is. Blazened with an Anthem Atlantic label and everything, this one could more than likely be placed in the "I have no idea where this one is from" pile. It looks incredible and the sound is fantastic.), Vapor Trails (USA, sealed), Feedback (USA, sealed), Clockwork Angels (my LE Red Vinyl edition from Germany hasn't arrived yet), Moving Pictures Live (USA), Snakes and Arrows

So there you have it...the entire Rush catalog (LP-wise) on vinyl. Yes, theoretically T4E shouldn't belong in this group, but it looks so "at home". As time permits, I'll get my 45s/78s/12" singles, promo releases, picture discs, bootlegs, and radio broadcasts photographed and posted. Keep checking back.

I'm covered here save for the aformentioned Test for Echo disc (Which continues to look very sweet, by the way) and I'm still trying to figure out if the Red Clockwork Angels is for real too. I've heard nothing one way or the other.

Those 12 inch Anthems are kind of tough to find too. I've been looking for The Weapon for a while (primarily because of Count Floyd.)

Great pictures so far.

Thanks...lots more to come. I had to bite the bullet of T4E...not cheap, and certainly not part of the band releases, but it really adds some completion to the collection. I think I'd be more bothered if the sound was really bad or the vinyl was poorly manufactured...but nothing of the sort.

You're right...the Anthem 12" promos are really difficult to find. The Weapon was perhaps the trickiest to find, but well worth the hunt. I have 5 other ones that were the property of the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) that I'll post pics of as soon as I can.

The red CA hasn't come in yet and I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to open it (I have the original as you can see, which I consider to be my "play" copy). According to all accounts (including a very well respected Rush collector in Scotland), it was a 300 copy limited release in Europe. What really sucked is that I had to use eBay to get my copy (the prices are nuts) because the company that was selling them in Germany wouldn't ship to Canada.

Edited by Kingdirk

What's that Geddy Lee great bass features thing? Is it an interview or a bass solo?

It is a radio broadcast recording from Rolling Stone Magazine Productions distributed to radio stations for play during the week of 9/13 - 9/18 1982. It's called "The Continuous History of Rock and Roll - Great Bass". It's an house long broadcast featuring The Who, Cream, Argent, The Kinks, Genesis, and of course, Rush. The Rush tracks on the broadcast are Freewill and Tom Sawyer. Each day of the week, a different artist is featured on Side Four:

9/13 Jack Bruce

9/14 John Entwhistle

9/15 Jim Rodford (Kinks)

9/16 Rick Wills (Foreigner)

9/17 Geddy

9/18 Mike Rutherford

I haven't listened to this yet as it only came in the other day. I've been collecting radio shows on vinyl for a while now and this was my latest addition. I'll be posting the cue sheets of my shows in a bit (lots to post here to share...just need the time to do it). These broadcasts are so cool because they are snapshots in time, including commercials!

I have one like this but it was for Broadcast in 1984 and features Neil. Radio was sure much different back then.

I prefer the Rush specific shows, but I do have some various artists that include Rush.

Wow...was it an interview recording with Neil, or just a feature on drummers? You're right...radio was so different. That's why these releases are just so cool. Snapshots. I just received one yesterday called Scott Muni's World of Rock (from 89 I think) in which Geddy actually co-hosts. Four hours long (4 LPs) with banter, commercials, and a tonne of music from Rush, Led Zep, Stones, etc...

I prefer the ones that Rush are featured in as well, but I've found myself taking a good hard look at some other keys recordings of the past as well. There is some fantastic material out there...and to think, these were sent out to stations as one time promos...play them once and get rid of them. the fact that these bits of history are still around is simply amazing.

Thanks ytrush and kingdirk! The countdown single with shuttle- yes that does make sense.

How do you categorize the vinyl of ABC1974?

I have two views on ABC 1974:

1) The release on vinyl is top notch. The sound is excellent. The vinyl packaging is fantastic. The historical representation of the concert is great. For this reason, I probably should have added it to the photos I took above.

2) Here's my other view. This is a bootleg. Why? Well, it wasn't released by Anthem or Mercury or Roadrunner...but at the same time, no one from the band or its representatives have opposed the release (it was sold on Amazon, for Pete's sake!). The other reason why I would consider it a bootleg is that the exact same material from that concert is avaialble on the bootleg Fifth Order of the Angels (among other substandard recordings).

I have two copies of this album...one the original black vinyl, the other the brown and oranges Records Store Day 2013 Euro limited release. Overall, these are fantastic and I'm thrilled to have them in my collection, however, when it comes time to share the covers of the boots I have, they will be featured in that pile.

Have you listened to both abc1974 vinyls? Do they sound equivalent?

I would seriously doubt that the boys get anything, but I could be wrong. I've only listened to the black version...I might keep the brown/orange sealed as a nice little collectible. Not sure yet. I put ABC in the same category as the "regularily circulated" Moon Over Cleveland double vinyl set...outstanding packagin and quality. The vinyl has to be at least 180 gram if not 200. It was produced in several variations...I have two copies as well and one is red/blue marbled (ie. one disc is blue, the other red) while the other one is green/purple marbled. VERY NICE looking pieces, but the content is taken from the same 1974 concert in Cleveland. There is no distinct label and nothing I can find online is truthful on where these discs were made, and by whom.

• Like 1

Oh yeah I have seen the moon over clevland albums on eBay and wondered about them. Cool!

Am looking forward to your next photo installments :)

Thanks...I love sharing this stuff and talking to other vinyl/Rush nuts. :haz: :rush:

I'm heading out of town for the upcoming long weekend (Victoria Day here in Canada...aka the "May two four") so I won't be able to throw any pics on the site this weekend. I'll try to take some shots on Friday before I leave, but I won't be able to get them uploaded until at least next Tuesday. I'm thinking of posting things in "clumps":

Bootlegs

7" singles/promos (either by label or by song title)

10" and other oddities

12" singles/promos (either by lebel of by song title)

Radio shows

Picture discs

Stay tuned!

And on to the 80s...

Great pictures so far.

So my copy of the Limited Edition (300 units only) of Clockwork Angels on red vinyl just arrived. Here are a couple of pics...nothing out of the ordinary. It looks like the US issued version. I took a pic of the barcode area so you can see that the disc is sanctioned by Anthem and is completely legit. I haven't opened the seal...yet. Still debating if I want to keep it in mint condition (I have the black vinyl edition for playing). Thoughts on what I should do?

http://i.imgur.com/ceG25bW.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/NYfceqz.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/8xmi6ns.jpg

Since it looks exactly the same as my normal Clockwork Angels is it safe to assume that by RED it means the discs are RED?

Yes...the discs are clear red. The only other difference from what I've heard, or can tell, is that only 300 copies were made. As you can imagine, the prices on eBay and Discogs are running over $100.

Just for fun...one of the abnormal releases as described in the forum title. See...I have class. I even collect classical music! :D

http://i.imgur.com/8slBg5k.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/il6haMK.jpg?2