Jump to content


French study: Many younger women should not wear bras


  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 69627 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

A 15 year study, huh?    Conclusions are obviously preliminary and much, much more data remains to be gathered before a definitive conclusion can be reached, according to the researchers...great science takes time, you know...

http://www.cbsnews.c...p-wearing-bras/

A new French study suggests some women should throw their bras in the trash.

Professor Jean-Denis Rouillon, a sports medicine specialist from Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Besancon in Besancon, France, published a study on Wednesday that shows that wearing bras may not prevent women's breasts from sagging, and may in fact increase it.

"Our first results confirm the hypothesis that the bra is a false need," Rouillon told France Info. "Medically, physiologically, anatomically, the breast does not benefit from being deprived of gravity. Instead, it languishes with a bra."

The 15-year study involved 330 volunteers between the ages 18 and 35. Researchers measured their breasts using a slide ruler and a caliper and recorded any changes throughout the study period.

Women who did not wear bras had a 7 millimeter lift as measured from their nipples each year. Their breasts were also firmer, and their stretch marks faded. There was also no evidence that the bras helped get rid of back pain.

The researchers believed that wearing bras prevented the growth of breast tissue, which lead to deterioration of the muscles that support the breasts. If you don't wear a bra, the muscles are worked-out more, the findings suggest.

One volunteer, a 28-year-old woman named Capucine said that she hasn't worn a bra in two years. She told France Info that not wearing the underwear has helped her breathe better, stand straighter and have less backpain.

However, not everyone should eschew bras. While he believes the study shows that bras are unnecessary, Roullion said that a 45-year-old mother who has worn a bra her whole life may not see any benefits if she decided to toss her brassiere, because the study did not involve women older than 35 years old.

"It would be dangerous to advise all women to stop wearing their soutien-gorge (bra) as the women involved were not a representative sample of the population," he told the Connextion.

The New York Times reported that the findings have been met with jokes in the French media, including some columnist who have expressed "astonishment" that the study took so long and was still considered as "preliminary" research.

Sponsored Post

#2 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.

#3 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

    Dita Von Sneeze

  • Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere in the Ether... or Ethanol.
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.

:bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap:

#4 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

    Twin City Cub Fan

  • Members *
  • 69627 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:suburban Minneapolis
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.
Be careful what you wish for.

#5 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 13 April 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.
Be careful what you wish for.

Only good could come of this.

#6 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

View Postgangsterfurious, on 13 April 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.

:bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap:

Fine, you can keep yours on.

#7 gangsterfurious

gangsterfurious

    Dita Von Sneeze

  • Members *
  • 5880 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Somewhere in the Ether... or Ethanol.
  • Interests:Glitter, yoga, Hello Kitty, epsom salt baths, Tic-Tacs, sparkling mineral water, finding the cure for eczema, pajama pants, cupcakes, colored paper-clips, post-it notes, liquid Advil, etc...

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

View Postgangsterfurious, on 13 April 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.

:bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap:

Fine, you can keep yours on.

You'll be thankful I did.

#8 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

View Postgangsterfurious, on 13 April 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

View Postgangsterfurious, on 13 April 2013 - 04:02 PM, said:

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.

:bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap: :bitchslap:

Fine, you can keep yours on.

You'll be thankful I did.

I'll take your word for it.

#9 RushYesZeppelin

RushYesZeppelin

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:A Blank Planet

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.

Oh Union, liking it and sending me the link to the study? Somebody has mastered the art of subtlety.

#10 RushYesZeppelin

RushYesZeppelin

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:A Blank Planet

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

But regardless, something about this is off. They don't really specify what controls they used or if the women were categorized by similar breast size, height, weight...etc. For all we know the women studied could have all been 30a cups. If that was the case then the data collected would not apply too women of a larger size, band size or body type and could be detrimental if they followed suit to what the article specified. Secondly, any of us who have read National Geographic have probably seen the wild women of Africa, or whatever it is called, and can see that these women whom have never worn a shirt let alone a bra are not perky, but quite the opposite. I don't know, I call shenanigans on this.

#11 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

    A Pale Boy with only Half a Brain

  • Members *
  • 21059 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The rich and sunny planet Ursa Minor Beta (or Buffalo NY)

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostRushYesZeppelin, on 13 April 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.

Oh Union, liking it and sending me the link to the study? Somebody has mastered the art of subtlety.

Posted Image

#12 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

View PostRushYesZeppelin, on 14 April 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

But regardless, something about this is off. They don't really specify what controls they used or if the women were categorized by similar breast size, height, weight...etc. For all we know the women studied could have all been 30a cups. If that was the case then the data collected would not apply too women of a larger size, band size or body type and could be detrimental if they followed suit to what the article specified. Secondly, any of us who have read National Geographic have probably seen the wild women of Africa, or whatever it is called, and can see that these women whom have never worn a shirt let alone a bra are not perky, but quite the opposite. I don't know, I call shenanigans on this.

Ahhh, the National Geographic!

:lol:

#13 RushYesZeppelin

RushYesZeppelin

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:A Blank Planet

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 14 April 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

View PostRushYesZeppelin, on 14 April 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

But regardless, something about this is off. They don't really specify what controls they used or if the women were categorized by similar breast size, height, weight...etc. For all we know the women studied could have all been 30a cups. If that was the case then the data collected would not apply too women of a larger size, band size or body type and could be detrimental if they followed suit to what the article specified. Secondly, any of us who have read National Geographic have probably seen the wild women of Africa, or whatever it is called, and can see that these women whom have never worn a shirt let alone a bra are not perky, but quite the opposite. I don't know, I call shenanigans on this.

Ahhh, the National Geographic!

:lol:

One of my favourite magazines, along with Scientific American. Rarely get the chance to read them though. And It's not my favourite because of the boobs haha, more because of the pretty pictures and learning stuff.

#14 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostRushYesZeppelin, on 14 April 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 14 April 2013 - 08:13 AM, said:

View PostRushYesZeppelin, on 14 April 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

But regardless, something about this is off. They don't really specify what controls they used or if the women were categorized by similar breast size, height, weight...etc. For all we know the women studied could have all been 30a cups. If that was the case then the data collected would not apply too women of a larger size, band size or body type and could be detrimental if they followed suit to what the article specified. Secondly, any of us who have read National Geographic have probably seen the wild women of Africa, or whatever it is called, and can see that these women whom have never worn a shirt let alone a bra are not perky, but quite the opposite. I don't know, I call shenanigans on this.

Ahhh, the National Geographic!

:lol:

One of my favourite magazines, along with Scientific American. Rarely get the chance to read them though. And It's not my favourite because of the boobs haha, more because of the pretty pictures and learning stuff.

Absolutely!  Both of those magazines are great and very educational. To be honest, I've heard more about the boobs in National Geographic than I've seen boobs in it, and I've seen a lot of issues.

Keep trying to get a hold of those, and every other educational periodical you can get your free hands on.   It's all great stuff!

#15 hobo73

hobo73

    In the court of the Crimson Hobes

  • Members *
  • 2658 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Illinois, USA.
  • Interests:LOVE my baby girl, LOVE my music and LOVE being my weird ol' self ;)

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Uhhh....not good for the girls who are a C cup before even starting middle school. they need the support!
:blush:

#16 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

View Posthobo73, on 24 April 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Uhhh....not good for the girls who are a C cup before even starting middle school. they need the support!
:blush:

Posted Image


Posted Image

#17 Shirley

Shirley

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1684 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Welsh girl in Surrey, UK

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.

You tw**.

#18 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostShirley, on 06 May 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

They shouldn't wear shirts, either.

You tw**.

Posted Image

#19 Shirley

Shirley

    Rushaholic

  • Members *
  • 1684 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Welsh girl in Surrey, UK

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

I generally don't have time for sexist shit coming out of the mouths of fuckwits.

#20 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24277 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostShirley, on 06 May 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

I generally don't have time for sexist shit coming out of the mouths of fuckwits.

Apparently you don't have time to have a sense of humor, either.

Edited by Sheldon Cooper, 07 May 2013 - 05:46 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users