Collective Soul

ok almost everywhere i go on the internet or in person almost nobody seems to know about this band. i mean somehow they've still got a pretty big fan base and are really good and pretty popular but just no one i meet seems to know who they are, so i'm recommending this band for all of you to check out.

Collective Soul is a rock band, but they're not you're average rock band. i would consider them Hard Rock, but a lot of their stuff is a little lighter and mellower than most rock bands. that doesn't make them worse than other rock bands though because their songs are amazing and brilliantly written. they have great lyrics and the guitarists are awesome and they make a really great duo. maybe they're not the greatest shredders in the world (although the lead guitarist does have a few really good solos) but they word very well together and write awesome riffs. and the singer is great. he generally uses a pretty soft voice, but he can have a pretty good powerful voice sometimes too, and it sounds really unique.

one of the coolest things about these guys is their first cd (which is excellent by the way) is just a demo. i guess when they were still like a garage band they recorded that whole cd and sent it to the record company looking for a deal and the record company said "this is so good we're just gonna start copying and selling it now", they didn't even send them into the studio to patch it up. and they've made 5 more great studio albums since then (their newest aren't as great as their older ones but still really good) and also they came out with a greatest hits album a couple years ago.

check out some of these if you wanna hear their softer side:

Wasting Time

Sister Don't Cry

The World I Know

December (possibly their biggest hit to date, at least the most well known one i think, it's not my very fav song though)

Forgiveness(very slow song, but very excellent as well)

Full Circle

Run

Dandy Life

She Said

Needs

Perfect Day

to name a few. and for their harder side:

Shine (this is actually a generally softer sounding song but it has one riff in it that sounds pretty heavy and a really cool guitar solo)

Scream

Simple (this song totally rocks)

Untitled (awesome guitar solo)

Where the River Flows (possibly one of their heaviest sounding songs)

Bleed

Precious Declaration

Disciplined Breakdown

Crowded Head

Heavy

Generate

Tremble For My Beloved

Skin

Why Pt. 2 (strangely enough there is no Why Pt. 1)

Happiness

Counting the Days

Better Now (this is their newest single, this and the the last four are from their newest two albums and are a little more upbeat and stuff than the older stuff. this song in particular totally rocks.)

i could tell you what a few of the best songs are, but they're all so good that if i told you like five of their best songs i'd feel like i'm leaving way too many out. just check out any of those songs, they're all excellent.

I don't know their stuff inside and out. But the material I am familiar with I like a lot!! This is an excellent band.

And oddly enough - just as I was catching view of this thread the song Heavy started on my MP3 player. Gotta love when shit like that happens.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jun 30 2005, 02:49 PM)
sorry no. but sometime maybe i can send you a few songs over messenger or something if you don't have a dl'ing program.

Thanks but I've just found them on I-Tunes - they sound pretty good. trink39.gif

Shine is one of only a handful of songs (or less) recorded in the last 15 years that i liked from the first time i heard it. I remember at the time of its release how good it sounded.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 30 2005, 02:02 PM)
I like them - very catchy tunes - much like that band Live.

I love both Collective Soul and Live. wink.gif

Collective Soul was doing a couple of shows in April with an orchestra, with arrangements by Todd Rubenstein, the guy who did the string quartet Rush tributes, but I haven't heard anything. Todd told me some months ago that it will be a DVD. Sounds interesting.

I guess I need to get their recent album. I've heard it's great.

Raider: Yea Shine is definitely a great song. as is every other song from their first album. (and of course most of the songs from all their other albums)

Mustard Death: Yea the self-titled album is great. I love Simple, that song totally rocks. that's one of the few songs by them that just totally rocks all the way through. well, one of their few ones from THAT era anyway. like i said their newest stuff is a little more upbeat and a little more rockin, though still not quite as overall "good" as their older stuff i don't think.

ChainLightning: yea Youth is the only one i don't have, but i got it for my dad for his b-day and i've heard him listen to it a few times, and the first time i heard it i thought "this is alright but not great" but then it really starts to grow on ya. i haven't heard it enough yet to know whether or not it lives up to their older music, but i can at least tell you it's quite a bit better than Blender.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 30 2005, 12:02 PM)
I like them - very catchy tunes - much like that band Live.

smile.gif yes.gif I agree I love them a lot....don't mind them on the radio at all because they are never being played...I like their new song tho its good biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jul 1 2005, 03:08 PM)
yea the name of it is Run and the line is actually "Have I got a long way to run?". that's a good song too. i didn't kno it was written about Elvis though, that's interesting.

I heard that tidbit on the radio. I think it was part of the Varsity Blues soundtrack.

it could have been. i'm pretty sure there was a collective soul song on that movie, Run was probably it. either that or it could have been Dandy Life, i know that's been in a movie or two.

For what's in a day of a dandy life?

For what's in a day of this dandy life?

everything

everything

everything

if that rings a bell it coulda been in the movie too.

I saw them on New Years Eve this past Dec and they rocked!!

They played a concert in Niagara Falls...great show!

The weather was mild too which made it nice too cause it was outdoors which is INSANE IMO for Canada in Mid Winter! laugh.gif But My boots were covered in mud all the way to the laces!!! ohmy.gif Don't panic though, it all came off! biggrin.gif

The Trews were an opening band for them... and they were pretty good musically but the lyrics left something to be desired! laugh.gif

Any one else heard of them??? confused13.gif

I love Collective Soul. They've become one of my favorite bands because of you, Freedom Fighter.

Archived