Opeth Writing For A New Album!

Hey American Opeth fans, the band will do a co-headline tour this December with In Flames and opening act Red Fang. Opeth will close out each show.

12/3 - Riviera Theater | Chicago, IL

12/4 - Mill City Nights | Minneapolis, MN

12/5 - Sokol Auditorium | Omaha, NE

12/6 - Ogden Theater | Denver, CO

12/8 - Warfield | San Francisco, CA

12/9 - Palladium | Los Angeles, CA

12/10 - The Marquee Theater | Tempe, AZ

12/12 - Warehouse Live | Houston, TX

12/13 - Gas Monkey Live | Dallas, TX

12/15 - Tabernacle | Atlanta, GA

12/17 - Electric Factory | Philadelphia, PA

12/18 - Terminal 5 | New York, N.Y.

12/19 - Palladium | Worcester, MA

12/20 - Metropolis | Montreal, QC

12/21 - Koolhaus | Toronto, ONT

Yeah, I saw the tour announcement on the FB - unfortunately, no dates in Florida... However, I did pick up from an article that this will be the first of TWO tours Opeth will do in the US for Pale Communion (which I am totally digging, btw.) Thus, I will have to wait for the second tour!!

Yeah, I saw the tour announcement on the FB - unfortunately, no dates in Florida... However, I did pick up from an article that this will be the first of TWO tours Opeth will do in the US for Pale Communion (which I am totally digging, btw.) Thus, I will have to wait for the second tour!!

Ditto, hoping they reach Buffalo/Rochester again.

The 2nd tour will probably reach places they won't play on the upcoming run, with a few shows at the "hot-spot" cities (i.e. NYC, LA). I'm going to the NYC show, but I could take or leave In Flames. From what I've pooled out, the general opinion on In Flames is that they've progressively gotten worse for the last 10 years. The opening band, Red Fang on the other hand I really like.

Edit: To be honest, I've never listened to In Flames period. But from reading the comments on FB, they were really harsh on their newer stuff. Whatever, I'll see for myself, listen to a few of their stuff and see what happens.

Edited by PolarizeMe

The 2nd tour will probably reach places they won't play on the upcoming run, with a few shows at the "hot-spot" cities (i.e. NYC, LA). I'm going to the NYC show, but I could take or leave In Flames. From what I've pooled out, the general opinion on In Flames is that they've progressively gotten worse for the last 10 years. The opening band, Red Fang on the other hand I really like.

Red Fang would be a great opening. I don't know anything by In Flames so I can take it or leave it. If they're still there come the next tour, I'd suffer through them to see Opeth

Red Fang would be a great opening. I don't know anything by In Flames so I can take it or leave it. If they're still there come the next tour, I'd suffer through them to see Opeth

It'd be worth it for sure. It was kind of like when I saw Opeth last year, most fans at the show I went to had to endure Katatonia first. I love both bands, and thought they were all on fire that night, even though Katatonia was more moodier than Opeth's set.

It'd be worth it for sure. It was kind of like when I saw Opeth last year, most fans at the show I went to had to endure Katatonia first. I love both bands, and thought they were all on fire that night, even though Katatonia was more moodier than Opeth's set.

yeah, I caught that show with Katatonia. They were so-so - nowhere near as bad as who I saw Anathema touring with earlier this year (H.I.M.) On the upside, Anathema was opening, so I just left when I couldn't endure HIM anymore. On the downside, Anathema only played like 35-40 minutes.... (fortunately for me, they did a headline show in a small venue in the area later that week! :) )

My interest in this band is officially over. I don't even enjoy the old stuff anymore...not my taste...

...but to those who do enjoy them, woop woop!

I hope they continue to do well.

yeah, I caught that show with Katatonia. They were so-so - nowhere near as bad as who I saw Anathema touring with earlier this year (H.I.M.) On the upside, Anathema was opening, so I just left when I couldn't endure HIM anymore. On the downside, Anathema only played like 35-40 minutes.... (fortunately for me, they did a headline show in a small venue in the area later that week! :) )

I used to adore HIM.

But why?

I have no idea...my first ever gig and I thought they sucked big time.

I can't really say anything bad to anyone who had lost/losing interest in Opeth. I've had it happen with several bands in the past (Sonata Arctica), and I'm not as engaged with Opeth as I was two years ago but that's because I've broadened out and currently enjoying discovering loads of bands rather than sticking to one or two bands at a time. That doesn't mean mean that I've lost love for Opeth though.

I'd like to know what's wrong with HIM? Are they like the Nickelback of Finland or something? I've never listened to HIM in my life so I'm clueless about the band.

I can't really say anything bad to anyone who had lost/losing interest in Opeth. I've had it happen with several bands in the past (Sonata Arctica), and I'm not as engaged with Opeth as I was two years ago but that's because I've broadened out and currently enjoying discovering loads of bands rather than sticking to one or two bands at a time. That doesn't mean mean that I've lost love for Opeth though.

I'd like to know what's wrong with HIM? Are they like the Nickelback of Finland or something? I've never listened to HIM in my life so I'm clueless about the band.

I can't say I am deeply familiar with HIM - I had never even heard of them when I saw Anathema open for them. I went with a fellow musician friend that also had never heard of them, We both thought they were somewhere between pretty "meh" and totally un-listenable. In full disclosure, we didn't stay for their whole show, having left before any "encore". The sound was ok, but for us, there was nothing interesting about their material. Seemed to be a dark / goth twist to your standard pop metal band. All the songs they played that night were intro/verse/chorus/gui solo / repeat (or subtle variation there-of). Guitarist had a little game (very little) and that was more than any other in the band. Drummer stuck to the backbeat, bassist stuck to the root note, through-out. Singer seemed to have a charismatic grasp over the surprisingly high number of over-weight goth chics in the crowd (that sang along with every tune in their black lipstick.) For me, there was no substance to what they do - it was all about the image (in this case "dark rock / goth")

For what it's worth, I am more into Opeth today than I ever have been. I discovered them between Ghost Reveries and Watershed (via Steven Wilson; I'm a drummer in a band and have always been more of a prog guy, but I have a metal background as well. I see Mikael and Steven as having a sort of Matisse/Picasso relationship going on) I first saw them on a Prog tour with Dream Theater and BtBaM. The growls did not sit with me at first, but the music was undeniable. I came to like the cookie monster vocals - accenting the brutal side of the "yin/yang" that made their music so dynamic. Heritage also did not sit with me upon first listen - I actually missed the growls and I wasn't "getting" what I was "expecting" when listening to Opeth. Then, one day it "clicked" and now I adore Heritage. It is difficult to compare it to their other work - sometimes it fits my mood much better than the older material. Of course, I did go back through their catalog. I am not really as big a fan of their earliest stuff. I need more time with Still Life, but Blackwater Park was their earliest album that works for me (though I still don't put it on a pedestal like many others - I much prefer D & D, GR, Watershed, and Heritage which I just find more interesting musically.) And now Pale Communion... gotta say I love it. I've had the leak for a while and it just keeps growing. Certainly the most "proggy" thing they've done - and it's quite understandable that some will be disappointed as they continue to hold expectations and/or rely on Opeth as their death metal outlet. This disc is again a slight re-invention from Heritage. It also might not fit expectations some have for "prog", but it's hit the spot for me. Interesting through-out, emotional and majestic, unconventional structures with, IMO, great transitions. Excellent playing all around and Mikael's best vocals to date.

Got Pale Communion a couple of days ago, through third listening, excellent album. Personally never been a fan of the Cookie Monster vocals and other than half a dozen Opeth songs from various Opeth albums of the past (eg Face of Melinda) I have very little Opeth in the ol'collection simply due to the fact I don't like the Cookie Monster vocals.

This new album though is great, no Cookie Monster vocals, a somewhat 1973/1974 Genesis / King Crimson vibe in places together with a Steven Wilson The Raven that Refused to sing feel as well.

If Opeth toured and played this album in its entirety as the centrepiece of the concert I would definitely go, an excellent job.

Actually next to Steven Wilsons Raven and Rush Angels, this would be one of the best total end to end albums I have heard in the last few years. I can actually sit down listen to this, enjoy it, not skip anything and want to play it gain straight after. Excellent,

Edited by Duke1
  • Like 1

HIM are actually pretty decent, if you can get past a lot of cheesy lyrics and the pretty boy music videos. I really loved the album Love Metal back in the day...but my main gripe is the lack of variety, and in all honesty, when it comes to the genre of gothic pop metal, bands like Lacuna Coil or even Nightwish do it far better...

HIM were massive when I was in school. But I always favoured Lacuna Coil, and to this day it is kind of obvious that I still do!

As for the Nickleback comparison, lets just say I regard HIM as a band that actually has a heart. Sure, they have more in common with the Twilight movies than they do, say, Metallica or even Type O Negative, but I can remember being moved by a lot of thwir music. Pretty decent...

Ok. I am torn. Do I dislike them or do I still love them??

Might go and see...

I´m almost finished with my first listen of Pale Communion. Another GREAT effort, but in my opinion they should change their name after Heritage. The band sounds awesome, now but completely different from the albums before these two.

Finished my first listen of Pale Communion and I think it is a spectacular album. It's too early to tell if this will be my album of the year, but it's definitely in contention. Eternal Rains Will Come, Elysian Woes, Faith In Others are my top 3 favorite songs on the album. Like every Opeth album, this gives me an autumn vibe and will probably play this album a lot during the season. The liner notes show that Steven Wilson contributed some backing vocals on the album. Can't wait to see them in December! Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 4

It seems that people that like PT and other proggy stuff like the new album but one's that loved Opeth's old stuff despise it.

Yeah, I suppose those that still rely on Opeth for their death metal fix will certainly be disappointed. There was a distinct shift at Heritage, but the writing was on the wall for a long time. I love their old stuff - but definitely more so for the prog elements (which could include growls & blast beats). The new stuff is more purely prog, without those elements - but with others added. Still uniquely Opeth.

So there's an explanation for the lack of bass on the 5.1 mix - there's an error on the Bluray and the left channels are out of phase.... Roadrunner is setting up a site to issue replacement Blurays.

http://redemptions.warnermusic.com/opeth

FOR CUSTOMERS LOOKING TO REPLACE THEIR BLU-RAY DISC YOU WILL NEED TO COMPLETE THE REDEMPTION BELOW WITH YOUR CODE FOR THE BONUS TRACKS AND YOU WILL BE SENT AN EMAIL WITH INFORMATION ON HOW TO REDEEM YOUR REPLACEMENT DISC.