12-Year-Old South Bronx Girl Reads 300 Books A Year

barney_rebel

When I was 12 I read 120 books in July and August during summer break. I could of easily read 300 that year.

When I was 12 I won a reading contest during the school year by reading 150 books in a month. I only won by 2 books...

did you guys actually read these books? and were these books longer than 10 pages each?

They were chapter books from the library. Nothing big like the stuff I read now but lots of Goosebumps and Screechowls.

When I was in Jr. High School, the school made a contest to see who could read one million words (in books) per month for the entire year. It seemed a nice way to get young children to read. Unfortunately the school kept track of books through the ever so reliable honor system. I was a heavy reader compared to my colleges, and I read maybe 2 books a week if that, while other kids were reporting they read Erragon in a day, or something like that.

When I was 12 I read 120 books in July and August during summer break. I could of easily read 300 that year.

Were they these books?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/roger-hargreaves/roger-hargreaves?store=allproducts&keyword=roger+hargreaves

;)

• Like 3

Were they these books?

http://www.barnesand...oger hargreaves

;)

Were they these books?

http://www.barnesand...oger hargreaves

;)

My mom owns a daycare and has that complete series. I've read all of them when I was 8.

• Like 1

The fact that these kids aren't reading particularly sophisticated material isn't really important. The act of reading itself is preferable to sitting passively in front of a television. Nobody expects elementary school kids to read Tolstoy.

The fact that these kids aren't reading particularly sophisticated material isn't really important. The act of reading itself is preferable to sitting passively in front of a television. Nobody expects elementary school kids to read Tolstoy.

nowadays, no one expects high school kids to read tolstoy...

The fact that these kids aren't reading particularly sophisticated material isn't really important. The act of reading itself is preferable to sitting passively in front of a television.

Disagree here. Reading garbage is of less value than watching quality televised content. I believe a kid gets more out of a good History channel program than reading Twilight.

"Film as text".

I've never heard of tolstoy until this thread. How am I expected to read a book I didn't know existed?

That's somewhat the point. Your teachers should've at least challenged you with that. OR at the very least, they should've mentioned his huge impact on the literary world (and beyond)

The fact that these kids aren't reading particularly sophisticated material isn't really important. The act of reading itself is preferable to sitting passively in front of a television.

Disagree here. Reading garbage is of less value than watching quality televised content. I believe a kid gets more out of a good History channel program than reading Twilight.

"Film as text".

I wouldn't argue that watching an educational television program is a better choice than reading a bad book, but generally speaking reading is a more productive use of time than watching television. It's a more mentally challenging activity and helps develop writing and concentration skills.

"Film as text".

I wouldn't argue that watching an educational television program is a better choice than reading a bad book, but generally speaking reading is a more productive use of time than watching television. It's a more mentally challenging activity and helps develop writing and concentration skills.

Agreed. I do think there's been a trend toward more useless literature for kids, which is a shame.
  • Like 1