HomesickAlien

Ye Old Morel Sniffer

• Members *
  • 10507 posts
  • Interests:Daydreaming

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

View Postgoose, on 17 April 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

View Postsubstancewithoutstyle, on 11 April 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

The fact that these kids aren't reading particularly sophisticated material isn't really important. The act of reading itself is preferable to sitting passively in front of a television.
Disagree here. Reading garbage is of less value than watching quality televised content.  I believe a kid gets more out of a good History channel program than reading Twilight.

"Film as text".

I wouldn't argue that watching an educational television program is a better choice than reading a bad book, but generally speaking reading is a more productive use of time than watching television. It's a more mentally challenging activity and helps develop writing and concentration skills.

Sponsored Post

#22 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53808 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

View Postsubstancewithoutstyle, on 18 April 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 17 April 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

View Postsubstancewithoutstyle, on 11 April 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

The fact that these kids aren't reading particularly sophisticated material isn't really important. The act of reading itself is preferable to sitting passively in front of a television.
Disagree here. Reading garbage is of less value than watching quality televised content.  I believe a kid gets more out of a good History channel program than reading Twilight.

"Film as text".

I wouldn't argue that watching an educational television program is a better choice than reading a bad book, but generally speaking reading is a more productive use of time than watching television. It's a more mentally challenging activity and helps develop writing and concentration skills.
Agreed.  I do think there's been a trend toward more useless literature for kids, which is a shame.

#23 jruiz2112

jruiz2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:Music, work, music, play, music, soccer, music...and so on and so forth....=) \m/

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:53 PM

wow!   wonder if she can remember all of what she's reading.....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kids, reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users