Progressive Music

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jul 11 2005, 08:56 PM)
I never really considered Tool metal, just hard rock at the most. Maybe that's because I listen to Death Metal and it's hardened me hehe. But on the Lateralus CD, they don't have the strange, droning noise things that much. And when they do, they're on their own track so you can skip it if you want. I would rate both Aenima and Lateralus as high as possible, but say Lateralus is a little better.

I personally think Maynard's wasting his time with A Perfect Circle, they suck >_<

It's funny, I always considered Tool hard rock, not metal as well. Considering their lyrical style and musical arrangements, I could see even calliing Tool progressive come to think of it! That's a hoot! Tool is awesome....If you have never seen them live, gotta do it! I don't know how much they do it, anymore, but they used to tour Texas like mad-dogs, and usually in small venues, until a few years ago when Aenima put em over the top. In a smaller venue, I can't see how anyone doesn't get bit by the Tool bug. The music, the crowd, Maynard........just awesome. One of a handful of acts live I would even come close to rating as good as Rush is live. Anyway, if you want to check Tool out, definitely get Aenima & Undertow, then slide backwards and check out Opiate to see how they have developed. Call em what you like, classify them where you will! I just call 'em BADASS! The bass lines are awesome along with the way their music ebbs and flows but stays deep and hard sounding. A lot of newer bands in the last few years have tried to incorporate their sound into their own, so when you first hear Tool you might think you have heard pieces of it before, strangely enough.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as A Perfect Circle goes, that's my Tool Lite! It's a creative outlet for Maynard that doesnt spoil the greatness of Tool with it's influence. I'm thankful for that. It is what it is................Tool Lite!, less filling....

If you have not checked out Spocks Beard you may want to do so in the immediate future. Unfortunately I can only recommend the discs with Neal Morse playing upon them. That is: The Light, Beware of Darkness, The Kindness of Strangers, Day for Night, V, and Snow.

During these discs the band was led by the greatest progressive genius ever to come from the United States( in my humble opinon), Mr. Neal Morse.

If you can imagine a modern slightly heavier version of yes/genesis with a favorable Beatles influence you are part way there. Spocks to me is among the "happiest" prog music I have ever heard with excellent lyrics. In addition, Neal has a very listenable voice, not at all over the top like some in the progressive genre.

I only got to see Spocks Beard once, when they opened for Dream Theater in Denver in the mid 90's? How I wish I had heard of them earlier .

Neal left the group for religious reasons and is still making exceptional progressive music. (although most his lyrics are pretty religious.)

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 9 2005, 06:17 PM)
During these discs the band was led by the greatest progressive genius ever to come from the United States( in my humble opinon), Mr. Neal Morse.

You mean this guy?

http://www.numavox.com/media/photos/kerry_livgren/k_livgren-mountain.jpg

tongue.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Aug 10 2005, 01:24 AM)

You mean this guy?

tongue.gif laugh.gif

No, not that Guy?? Unless the last year has been real hard on Neal.

I mean this guy

Neal Morse Homepage

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 10 2005, 03:17 AM)
If you have not checked out Spocks Beard you may want to do so in the immediate future. Unfortunately I can only recommend the discs with Neal Morse playing upon them. That is: The Light, Beware of Darkness, The Kindness of Strangers, Day for Night, V, and Snow.

I can't agree there - While "Octane" is by no means a classic, I'd have to say "Feel Euphoria" is a fine album.

Then again, my favourite Spocks Beard song is Gibberish, so who am I to judge?? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 10 2005, 07:38 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 10 2005, 03:17 AM)

I can't agree there - While "Octane" is by no means a classic, I'd have to say "Feel Euphoria" is a fine album.

Then again, my favourite Spocks Beard song is Gibberish, so who am I to judge?? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I hate to admit it here, but I have yet to hear all of Octane. I did like a couple of the tunes on Feel Euphoria, most notably East of Eden, West of Memphis. I did hear that the Beard is putting out a new live disc in the near future.

On another note, it is reported that the guests on Neals new disc include:

Mark Leniger

Mike Portnoy

Alan Morse

Roine Stolt

Randy George

Steve Hackett

Jordan Rudess

It will be good to hear Neal jam with his brother again!

QUOTE (tangdog @ Aug 10 2005, 07:22 AM)

You mean this guy?

tongue.gif laugh.gif

I mean this guy

Neal Morse Homepage

Woah,woah,woah...

what's with the close up shot of none other than the mastermind behind Kansas,AD and now Proto-Kaw.

BTW Livgrens' Proto-Kaw release "Before came After" in 2004 is Outstanding and well worth checking out especially for a Rush/Kansas fan.

Yeah, everyone should see tool play live at least 1 time. They have a great live sound, so clean and clear, just like the album but louder.

A Perfect Circle on the other hand is like the diet coke of rock, just 1 calorie, just not rocking enough. They have a couple good tunes but nothing like tool, which is one of my favorites.

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Aug 12 2005, 05:10 PM)

You mean this guy?

tongue.gif laugh.gif

I mean this guy

Neal Morse Homepage

Woah,woah,woah...

what's with the close up shot of none other than the mastermind behind Kansas,AD and now Proto-Kaw.

BTW Livgrens' Proto-Kaw release "Before came After" in 2004 is Outstanding and well worth checking out especially for a Rush/Kansas fan.

What's up is Mr. Kerry Livgren, as much as I love classic Beard, is a much more accomplished, creative writer in the genre of progressive rock.

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Aug 13 2005, 12:03 AM)

You mean this guy?

tongue.gif laugh.gif

I mean this guy

Neal Morse Homepage

Woah,woah,woah...

What's up is Mr. Kerry Livgren, as much as I love classic Beard, is a much more accomplished, creative writer in the genre of progressive rock.

No argument here Sheriff-talk to me-Have you heard the Proto-Kaw?

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Aug 18 2005, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Aug 13 2005, 12:03 AM)

You mean this guy?

tongue.gif laugh.gif

I mean this guy

Neal Morse Homepage

Woah,woah,woah...

No argument here Sheriff-talk to me-Have you heard the Proto-Kaw?

I need to become better versed in Kerry Livgrens music and I am not disputing that he may be more accomplished, but IMHO, Neal as a singer/songwriter/bandleader just has a very rare gift and consistently makes fantastic music . I guess since the two record together the respect is mutual.

The thing about Kerry is he is an old dog. He, no doubt, greatly influenced Neal himself.

Neal is a great bandleader. I love his voice personally. His lyrics are a bit "unrefined," though, IMHO. When I put them up against Livgren's, they just turn to confused13.gif in comparison (to me).

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 13 2005, 06:41 AM)
...The Dividing Line.

What, where or when is that?

QUOTE (Oberon @ Aug 18 2005, 07:48 PM)
...The Dividing Line.

It's an internet prog radio show.

www.thedividingline.com

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Aug 18 2005, 10:50 PM)
QUOTE (Oberon @ Aug 18 2005, 07:48 PM)
...The Dividing Line.

It's an internet prog radio show.

www.thedividingline.com

Right... Thanks!

Archived