Progressive Music

ok so i know all of you guys love that one progressive rock band that started in the 70's and had three guys, the one where like one of the dude played bass and keyboard and the drummer dude wrote really good lyrics and the guitarist kicked butt...what was their name again? tongue.gif

but anyway, what other kind of progressive music do you guys like?

i'm pretty new to prog actually, but it's very quickly becoming my fav kind of music. of course i love rush, they're one of my fav bands, and Dream Theater is one of my fav bands too, so recently i've decided i wanna get into more prog like Rush and Dream Theater. i haven't seriously got into any new bands yet but i have like a song or two from several bands that i'm really liking. so far i've liked all prog i've heard.

my sister has a Symphony X cd (V: The New Mythology Suite) which totally rocks, and she has a couple Savatage cds too which are really good (i love the song Damien).

recently i've downloaded Betrayal and Pride by a band called Ayreon that's really good, and Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche and i love that song too.

also on my computer i've got Sacrement of the Wilderness by Nightwish that's really good, and Kazzman sent me March of Mephisto, Memento Mori, and Center of the Universe by a band called Kamelot that totally rocks. he also sent me another nightwish song but i haven't gotten around to dl'ing it from the email yet.

so what other kinds of prog do you guys like?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i MUCH more prefer 70's progressive rock, the vintage golden age stuff, as opposed to the new wave of prog music. are you interested in that - if so, I could give some recommendations, but as for newer stuff, i personally can't help...

Rush formed in 1968 I think.

Anyways,

Yes (Tales From Topographic Oceans, Going For the One)

King Crimson (In the Court of the Crimson King)

Dream Theater (Images and Words, Awake)

Marillion (I... I don't know much of them. I just know they're good)

Porcupine Tree (In Absentia, Deadwing)

Spastic Ink (Ink Compete, Ink Compatible)

Gordian Knot (Gordian Knot)

The Mars Volta (De-Loused in the Comatorium, Frances the Mute)

Opeth (My Arms Your Hearse, Morningrise, Deliverance)

Iced Earth (The Dark Saga, Horror Show)

Queensryche (The Warning, self-titled EP)

Gentle Giant (The Power and the Glory

Borknagar (The Olden Domain, Empiricism, Epic)

Vintersorg (Tjill Falls, Cosmic Genesis)

Blackfield (Blackfield)

Kansas (Whichever album has Wayward Soul)

Supertramp (Breakfast in America, Crime of the Century)

Genesis (The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway)

Liquid Tension Experiment (LTE are John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy and Jordan Rudess ((DT's new keyboardist)) and Tony Levin on bass. Very cool) (LTE I, LTE II)

EDITED to add album recommendations for each band, the names in parenthe-what's it's are album names.

Rushgoober: well most of the stuff i'm getting into now is like new wave prog but i love all kinds of prog (i've been planning on checking out bands like alan parson's project and kansas) so if you got some older seventies ones and stuff by all means recommend them.

Mustard Death: good recommendation for Dream Theater. Images and Words is my fav cd by them. there's a lot of other bands on that list that i've heard of but never knew they were prog (mars volta, iced earth, and opeth mainly) i'll hafta check some of them out. thanks for that list dude. i've also always known about Liquid Tension Experiment but i don't really have any of their music, i'll hafta check them out too definitely.

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jun 30 2005, 01:51 PM)
Rushgoober: well most of the stuff i'm getting into now is like new wave prog but i love all kinds of prog (i've been planning on checking out bands like alan parson's project and kansas) so if you got some older seventies ones and stuff by all means recommend them.

Check out the first four Kansas albums. Some real good prog there.

Kansas

Song For America

Masque

Leftoverture

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jun 30 2005, 12:51 PM)
Mustard Death: good recommendation for Dream Theater. Images and Words is my fav cd by them. there's a lot of other bands on that list that i've heard of but never knew they were prog (mars volta, iced earth, and opeth mainly) i'll hafta check some of them out. thanks for that list dude. i've also always known about Liquid Tension Experiment but i don't really have any of their music, i'll hafta check them out too definitely.

The Mars Volta are a very good "new wave" prog band. Opeth are an older prog metal band but they're still around (in the studio as I type!). Iced Earth are good, but not as good as Opeth or Borknagar.

Watch out though, Opeth, Borknagar and Vintersorg all have a mixture of clean and harsh vocals. Harsh meaning death and black metal growls/screams. I love them >_>

If harsh vocals don't appeal to you then just check out a few songs by each of them, and if you don't like them forget it. But even if you don't like Opeths vocals, check out the album by them called "Damnation". It has all clean vocals.

EDITED: And when I say harsh vocals, I'm not talking about the crap you hear on the radio today. Stuff like pop-punk bands, you know, the whiny screaming. I'm talking HARDCORE SON!!! And when I say hardcore, I'm not talking like Hatebreed and Cradle of Filth, I'm talking NECRO!!! *Cough*

Add me on AIM (Lenses of Red) or MSN (Afterimage2112@hotmail.com) and I'll send you a song or two from the metal bands.

to me some basic 70's prog essentials:

yes - tales from topographic oceans

genesis - selling england by the pound

king crimson - in the court of the crimson king

king crimson - lizard

roxy music - for your pleasure

camel - moonmadness

caravan - if i could do it all over again, i'd do it all over you

quiet sun - mainstream

pink floyd - meddle

the moody blues - in search of the lost chord

the moody blues - on the threshold of a dream

gong - camembert electrique

gong - you

if you want to get slightly adventurous and try some 70's prog in other languages try:

pfm - per un amico

banco del mutuo soccorso - io sono nato libero

ange - au dela du delire

harmonium - le cinq saisons...

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jun 30 2005, 01:32 PM)
also on my computer i've got Sacrement of the Wilderness by Nightwish that's really good, and Kazzman sent me March of Mephisto, Memento Mori, and Center of the Universe by a band called Kamelot that totally rocks. he also sent me another nightwish song but i haven't gotten around to dl'ing it from the email yet.

I wouldn't exactly call Kamelot or Nightwish Prog. Same goes for Iced Earth. They fall more into the power metal category rather than prog metal.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jun 30 2005, 01:23 PM)

I wouldn't exactly call Kamelot or Nightwish Prog. Same goes for Iced Earth. They fall more into the power metal category rather than prog metal.

That is kind of true for IE... When I listened to them I thought it kind of fell into mostly power metal... But when I ripped it to Winamp it said prog metal. And a lot of people call them prog.

They're still worth checking out though.

well some bands are more progressive than others. kamelot and nightwish are maybe closer to the heavy metal side but they still definitely got prog in 'em. i consider 'em prog anyway. and there's a site called www.progarchives.com that calls them both prog as well.

but anyway thanks for the recommendations guys!

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jun 30 2005, 11:23 AM)

Gotta agree there, Iced Earth never struck me as progressive, just metal.

It's normal to like other music and really enjoy. I was driving down the freeway and a local radio station just played (first two songs as usual). At the end I put in Different stages and listened to the live version. I can only name a few musicians in this whole world that could even play with Rush. Of over the 380+ concerts that I've seen I can honestly say that less than 10 people could even jam with them and keep up. SRV was the best that I've ever seen by the way. Anyway, Rush kicks the sh*t out of almost every band on this thread. It's healthy to expand your musical taste but let's not get carried away with too much of a one trick pony. I know that I'm babbling but I'm fired up on Rush right now. Maybe I should post a manifesto sometime in the near future. Sorry for taking up so much space...... 2112 space...... 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Jun 30 2005, 03:46 PM)
It's normal to like other music and really enjoy.  I was driving down the freeway and a local radio station just played (first two songs as usual).  At the end I put in Different stages and listened to the live version.  I can only name a few musicians in this whole world that could even play with Rush.  Of over the 380+ concerts that I've seen I can honestly say that less than 10 people could even jam with them and keep up.  SRV was the best that I've ever seen by the way.  Anyway, Rush kicks the sh*t out of almost every band on this thread.  It's healthy to expand your musical taste but let's not get carried away with too much of a one trick pony.  I know that I'm babbling but I'm fired up on Rush right now.  Maybe I should post a manifesto sometime in the near future.  Sorry for taking up so much space...... 2112 space...... 2.gif  2.gif  2.gif

forgive me if i missed the point here, but am i to understand you're a RUSH fan? confused13.gif

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 30 2005, 01:13 PM)
to me some basic 70's prog essentials:

yes - tales from topographic oceans
genesis - selling england by the pound
king crimson - in the court of the crimson king
king crimson - lizard
roxy music - for your pleasure
camel - moonmadness
caravan - if i could do it all over again, i'd do it all over you
quiet sun - mainstream
pink floyd - meddle
the moody blues - in search of the lost chord
the moody blues - on the threshold of a dream
gong - camembert electrique
gong - you

if you want to get slightly adventurous and try some 70's prog in other languages try:

pfm - per un amico
banco del mutuo soccorso - io sono nato libero
ange - au dela du delire
harmonium - le cinq saisons...

653.gif All good stuff rushgoober, I'd recommend, Van der Graaf Generator and Focus as well trink39.gif

For me, I'd also recommend :

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Genesis - Foxtrot

Peter gabriel - 1st album

Peter gabriel - 2nd Album

Peter gabriel - 3rd Album

Steve hackett - Spectral Mornings

ELP - Tarkus

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery

ELP - Works

ELP - ELP

and from the English neo-progressive bands from the 80s:

Marillion - Script for a Jester's Tear

Marillion - Fugazi

Pallas - The Wedge

IQ - Are You Sitting Comfortably? (produced by Terry Brown)

thanks for all the recommendations guys. lol i'm kinda overwhelmed here.

although i still consider Nightwish and Kamelot progressive, i think some of the bands that mustard death redommended probably would fall more in the power metal category yea. i looked on progarchives and it didn't have Borknagar or Iced Earth on it, i guess that doesn't necesarilly mean they're not prog but i'm not sure if after listening to Borknagar if i'd call them prog or not, and people already said Iced Earth is more like just power metal. even if they are prog though i still don't really think they'll be on the top of my list for prog cds to buy.

The Mars Volta is good though, they're quite a bit different type of prog than i've listened to but still definitely prog, and i still need to check out Opeth

and of course i need to check out a lot of the older ones people are mentioning.

Archived