Worst cooking/kitchen crimes

Mara

Aside from the obvious food safety violations (e.g. raw poultry drippings everywhere), what do you consider to be the most grievous culinary insults?

My husband will drown something in ketchup, marinara sauce, or sour cream before he even tastes it. I nearly killed him over it one time after I'd spent the entire day and a considerable amount of $$$$ making feijoada, which is extremely labor-intensive. He grabbed the sour cream and literally FROSTED the entire top of his serving with it. Really, I don't mind if someone seasons something I've worked hard on - just TASTE IT FIRST.

Also, don't ask me for one of my recipes, substitute fat-free everything, and then wonder why your version tastes like ass.

Almost goes without saying, but overcooking a nice cut of meat almost brings me to tears.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 2

My daughter with Ranch - which we have done a good job of curtailing... and my dad's friend that salts everything.... He would take a steak, cut a piece, salt the piece in all sides, eat it, repeat.

My least favorite is when I get a piece of baked pork or chicken at a friends hose that was cooked under foil - it tastes steamed... gross.

• Like 1

my wife's tendency to dip steak in ketchup...makes me crazy

:yes:

Why use ketchup when you can use this.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rI0gR95ZL._SX300_.jpg

A cooking crime? See Tuna Noodle casserole

Tuna casserole isn't bad now and then. What's really nasty is macaroni and cheese tuna casserole. My mom used to make it at least once a month when I was a kid. Truly offensive.

Ordering a steak well done. :scared: Why on earth would you do that? :wacko:

On the odd occasion that I eat steak I ALWAYS get it well done. If I see pink I freak. :o

But I must say watching someone wash down their steak with a glass of milk is one of the most grossest food faux pas. Gimmie a nice Merlot.

The Japanese tendency to drown 'modern' dishes in mayo!!! I've never seen it done in Japanese restaurants stateside but that's because those restaurants serve more traditional dishes. Go to a fast food hamburger joint out here and your hamburger is drowning in that shit. 'Modern' J-dishes like takoyaki and okonomiyaki have criminal amounts of mayo poured on.

I think this is more ignorance than a food crime: I knew this dude in uni that didn't boil his pasta...he'd put it straight from the bag and into the pot/pan he was using for the sauce. He'd brag that it took him only 5 minutes to make spaghetti. The pasta was still hard!!!

On topic: putting parmesan cheese on insalata caprese... <== :no:

Or serving a Camembert cheese without letting it come to room temperature. Or serving it with a white wine - am I right Niles?

Signed,

Frasier

• Like 1

Hi JohnnyBlaze, sorry for going off-topic, but what place is that in the lower far right picture of your signature? That looks great!

On topic: putting parmesan cheese on insalata caprese... <== :no:

I'm more than glad to answer that. That was taken on the coast of Italy in an area called the Cinque Terre (5 villages). That particular village is Vernazza. That whole area (and meals) will make you weep out of love.

Perhaps the pic made you think of parmesan cheese. Oh, if you are really interested in seeing more pics like it you can search for a thread I did a while back for that awesome trip.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Putting milk in eggs.

If you want them fluffy put them in a steel bowl and whip them with a wire whisk.

Then don't eat at IHOP - they put pancake batter in their scrambled eggs :unsure:

A steak seasoned and cooked properly shouldn't need to be dipped in anything.

Really, what is the point of eating meat if you can't taste the meat? Steak, prime rib, pork, whatever..... just a wee bit of salt, and I'm good to go.... :ebert:

Using anything made by Roundy's (local Wisconsin brand once flogged by Vince Lombardi Jr) in any dish, even ones intended for your dog. Edited by laughedatbytime

Putting milk in eggs.

If you want them fluffy put them in a steel bowl and whip them with a wire whisk.

Then don't eat at IHOP - they put pancake batter in their scrambled eggs :unsure:

With the exception of sushi, which I eat once or twice a week, I eat out almost never. I am a far better cook than anyone you will find in any restaurant where I live. When I cook it I know what is in it and I know it is fresh and I know it is done correctly.

I would open my own restaurant except that I am afraid I would begin to hate cooking if I had to do it for a living.

• Like 1

Really, what is the point of eating meat if you can't taste the meat? Steak, prime rib, pork, whatever..... just a wee bit of salt, and I'm good to go.... :ebert:

It's not that a good sauce can't compliment meat or be used as a marinade. It needs to be done delicately though. Home made peach salsa over pork loin, fish or chicken is a wonderful thing. I sometimes make a marinade for lower cuts of steak but most of it is drained off before cooking. It adds a hint of flavor to the meat. Just a hint. If you need to cover it in some kind of sauce you either overcooked it or bought shit quality meat. Anything other than salt and pepper on a good quality filet however, should be criminal.

Edited by thesweetscience

Putting milk in eggs.

With the exception of sushi, which I eat once or twice a week, I eat out almost never. I am a far better cook than anyone you will find in any restaurant where I live. When I cook it I know what is in it and I know it is fresh and I know it is done correctly.

I would open my own restaurant except that I am afraid I would begin to hate cooking if I had to do it for a living.

We are the same. 90% of food we buy at the grocery store is around the edges... you know... fresh produce, meat, bread, dairy. Only things we buy in the aisles are things like tortilla chips, apple juice, oil and spices... things like that. We usually go out 1 meal a week, and that's about it. My wife makes her own torillas, I make hummus... High BP runs int he family and we do what we can to watch that. I don't have it, but my son does... and he's in better shape than I am.

It's not that a good sauce can't compliment meat or be used as a marinade. It needs to be done delicately though. Home made peach salsa over pork loin, fish or chicken is a wonderful thing. I sometimes make a marinade for lower cuts of steak but most of it is drained off before cooking. It adds a hint of flavor to the meat. Just a hint. If you need to cover it in some kind of sauce you either overcooked it or bought shit quality meat. Anything other than salt and pepper on a good quality filet however, should be criminal.

I disagree. I love a cognac peppercorn cream sauce on filet. Not every time, but once in a while it is a great treat.