How many books do you read a year?

poll reading books

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: How many books do you read a year? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

How many books do you read a year?

1. less than 5 (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

2. 5 - 10 (5 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

3. 11 - 20 (9 votes [21.95%])

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

4. 21 - 30 (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

5. 31 - 40 (3 votes [7.32%])

Percentage of vote: 7.32%

6. 41 - 50 (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

7. 51 - 60 (4 votes [9.76%])

8. 61 - 70 (1 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

9. 71 - 80 (1 votes [2.44%])

10. 81 - 90 (1 votes [2.44%])

11. 91 - 100 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

12. 100 + (4 votes [9.76%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27722 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Just can't do it. Right after my hand surgery in March out of sheer boredom I read about 5 books. I was so proud of myself and thought I was now doing what the "typical" educated individuals do. Since I have started focusing on my fitness and this freak'in forum, I doubt I will read anything any time soon....... :|

Sponsored Post

#42 barney_rebel

barney_rebel

The Camera Guy

• 27052 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostNarpet, on 24 November 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Just can't do it. Right after my hand surgery in March out of sheer boredom I read about 5 books. I was so proud of myself and thought I was now doing what the "typical" educated individuals do. Since I have started focusing on my fitness and this freak'in forum, I doubt I will read anything any time soon....... :|

It's why i left for a while.  I said to myself I wouldn't come back until well after 100 books.

Fitness has gone downhill for sure.

#43 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42280 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

I used to read a lot more before the invention of the internet.   I guess I read about two books a month now.  Before the internet, it was about two a week - sometimes more, sometimes less.

#44 barney_rebel

barney_rebel

The Camera Guy

• 27052 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

115th book

#45 barney_rebel

barney_rebel

The Camera Guy

• 27052 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:32 PM

been about 50 books a year

#46 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21779 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:53 PM

I go through spurts of reading a lot, but on average I would say a couple of books a month.

#47 Stinkerbell

Stinkerbell

The Seeker

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

I read about 5-10 books. Mostly during the Summer Months.

#48 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

When I read as much as I really want I feel very lazy. I read about one book a fortnight plus my Big Boring Bedtime books which are there specifically to put me to sleep. Nonfiction, history, biography, travel, suchlike. Regular books are 75% science fiction, 30% mysteries and 5% other, like Rush books.

#49 Blue J

Blue J

Official SOCN Designated Driver

• Members *
  • 17675 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

It has been as many as 40-50 books a year for me, but I'm definitely not there right now. Maybe 10-15.

#50 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1189 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

View PostIwillchooseFreeWill, on 16 May 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

When I read as much as I really want I feel very lazy. I read about one book a fortnight plus my Big Boring Bedtime books which are there specifically to put me to sleep. Nonfiction, history, biography, travel, suchlike. Regular books are 75% science fiction, 30% mysteries and 5% other, like Rush books.
Glad to see that you give it 110% !! :)

#51 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, traveling, textile arts, science fiction, TV, AFL, Burmese cats, nature and the outdoors, friends

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:58 AM

So I can't add. Never claimed to be a math whiz

#52 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The Professor

• Members
  • 3729 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

View PostMithrandir, on 12 June 2017 - 08:22 AM, said:

View PostIwillchooseFreeWill, on 16 May 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

Glad to see that you give it 110% !! :)

:clap:
Posted Image

#53 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17345 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

I was doing about 50/year, but then I got a smartphone and now I don't read at all.  Stare at my phone all the time.  Sad, ain't it?

I'm meaning to start reading again.

#54 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83612 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostGeddyRulz, on 04 July 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

I was doing about 50/year, but then I got a smartphone and now I don't read at all.  Stare at my phone all the time.  Sad, ain't it?

I'm meaning to start reading again.
You've read enough.

#55 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42280 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

View PostChicken hawk, on 27 March 2013 - 01:42 AM, said:

Before computers ,  Yes im that old,  i use to read ALOT ! Books !   haha   I would take out a book from the library every 2 weeks. Now i read less than 5 a year. Thats sad. :zzz:
That's my story too.   I have boxes of books here that I've read, most of them more than once.  When money was scarce, I would read books again and again, or make a trip to the library and carry a stack home.

Now, thanks to the computer :eyeroll: , I read maybe five books a year.  I used to read a book every two or three days.  Now I read a few pages of a book every two or three days.

#56 GeddyRulz

GeddyRulz

The Grammar Police

• Members *
  • 17345 posts
  • Interests:Unicycling, Internet surfing, TV and movies, Health and fitness, writing, reading, hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, 80s New Wave, classical, jazz, sunshine pop, space age bachelor pad music.

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:55 AM

It's a sad boat we're in, myself and the other posters who said they used to read a lot, but after computers/smartphones, hardly at all.

This must be a common problem.  A co-worker and I were discussing books this week, and he said the same.  From 50 books per year to none.

#57 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42280 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostGeddyRulz, on 08 July 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

It's a sad boat we're in, myself and the other posters who said they used to read a lot, but after computers/smartphones, hardly at all.

This must be a common problem.  A co-worker and I were discussing books this week, and he said the same.  From 50 books per year to none.

I think it's very sad.

The computer quit last week and I was forced to read my book.  I enjoyed it and found it more relaxing than being on the internet.

#58 New_World_Man

New_World_Man

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:Music, internet, reading, outdoors, movies, etc.

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

Personally I struggle with reading(long story)so I won't vote in this poll. That said I do try to read it just seems that I get distracted easily and have trouble finishing books.

Anyway, I'm wondering how many books Neil Peart reads a year. My guess would be at least 150 books a year but maybe more like over 200.

#59 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5898 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

I used to read a lot more, too.  Binge-watching netflix shows doesn't help...

#60 IwillchooseFreeWill

IwillchooseFreeWill

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 791 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

I guess I should qualify that most of my "books" are in digital format downloaded from the big online store that begins with an A.  I have visual problems and hand issues, so reading on my iPad is much easier. I can change the font to whatever I want. Really annoys me that you can't do that with paper books and I have lots of those sitting around. Also when the content isn't available in Oz because of copyright conspiracies among publishers. I try to remember to keep Goodreads up to date but sometimes I forget

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll, reading, books

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users