New Band - The Winery Dogs

This is taken from the Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles website: Drummer Mike Portnoy (ADRENALINE MOB, FLYING COLORS, ex-DREAM THEATER), bassist Billy Sheehan (MR. BIG, TALAS) and guitarist Richie Kotzen (ex-POISON, ex-Mr. Big) teamed up in the summer of 2012 for a new project which has now been officially dubbed THE WINERY DOGS. An official release for Japan via Victor Entertainment has been confirmed for May, with other territories due to be announced soon.

link: http://www.bravewords.com/news/201030

So, yet another project involving Mike Portnoy and Billy Sheehan. He´s one of my drum heroes, so I´ll always check out what he does...but honestly, the band name and the influences in this project are not really what I´d expect him to do. I keep waiting for him to put together a project/band that has the same impact on me that the early DT releases had, but it looks like he´s into a different vibe right now.

Any thoughts?

Can this guy just go away already!

Who, me or Mike Portnoy? :D :D :D

Seriously dude, he´s awesome...he´s put together four bands in three years, toured and released albums with all of them, and also managed to work with Neal Morse, fill in for drummers on Fates Warning and Stone Sour. I know his projects are hit and miss, but when they´re good, they kick serious a$$.

Seriously dude, he´s awesome...he´s put together four bands in three years, toured and released albums with all of them, and also managed to work with Neal Morse, fill in for drummers on Fates Warning and Stone Sour. I know his projects are hit and miss, but when they´re good, they kick serious a$$.

Wait, what four bands did he put together? You can't count Adrenaline Mob (who suck swamp water) since he joined that band later on, so he didn't put it together. Flying Colors and Winery Dogs? What else?

As for this Winery Dogs project, the key will be the songs. The band obviously has talent, but I wonder who the main songwriter was, cause all of the talent in the world means nothing without good songs.

Edited by The K Man

Adrenaline Mob, Flying Colours, PSMS (with Derek Sherinian, Billy Sheehan and Tony Macalpine) and Winery Dogs.

I like Adrenaline Mob, even though some of the lyrics are a bit lame. You´re right, he didn´t "put them together", but he´s a part of it and played on all tracks on the album, went on tour with them etc.

Eddie Trunk has been praising the Winery Dogs on Twitter every time, but that doesn´t count - he´s the one who introduced POrtnoy to Ritchie Kotzen when John Sykes pulled out of this project. Let´s wait and see how they sound like.

but I wonder who the main songwriter was, cause all of the talent in the world means nothing without good songs.

Richie Kotzen (guitar and vocals) is the songwriter for most of this, I'm certain. He's quite a talented bloke. He's got a real R&B/soul fusion to his writing and playing. Do some youtubing on his material when you can...see what you think.

Edited by Presto-digitation

I like the song alot