That thread in the Food forum about growing your own food organically made me think we should have a thread to discuss home made botanicals, organic gardens in general and everything green.

I'll start it off:

Organic Aloe Vera Shampoo

Cut 1 aloe leaf and remove skin

Use spoon to separate the flesh

Put in blender along with 1/2 cup water and 1 tsp jojoba oil

It's a healthy non chemical shampoo that lathers great and nurtures your hair

That thread in the Food forum about growing your own food organically made me think we should have a thread to discuss home made botanicals, organic gardens in general and everything green.

I'll start it off:

Sounds great... will it my hair grow??????????????????????????

• Like 1

I'll be starting a new garden this year... a big one. The problem is, that I live alone and I always have WAY too much fresh vegetables around here. So, everyone on TRF is invited to my house in mid September to help me pound 'er down. And, since our friendly, but somehow, furious "Gangster" is a veggie/vegan person, she's allowed to bring a U Haul trailer and fill it up for consumption back in southern Cal...

Hey, it would only be about a 30 hour drive for most of you.. no big deal!

• Like 1

Sounds great. I'm in Toronto so I could be there for supper. :P

I'm gearing up to start on my new balcony garden for this year. I'm going to do a mix of herbs, veggies and flowers. I have a large balcony that should be getting a good dose of sun pretty soon if today's weather has any Merritt.

Already have my daffodils, gonna take my juniper bonsai back outside and the spider plant is going back out as well.

For veggies I was thinking kale, tomatoes, peppers and maybe one other thing.

Herbs: basil, mint, cilantro, rosemary, lemongrass, catnip, sage and or thyme

Hi YAYA,

What a great idea you have.

I'm gonna do Kale, basil, sage....love that smell when cooking with it.

Catnip is a great idea too....I have a cat!!!

Flowers all the time.

Funny thing, in the rocks, I swear I've never planted flowers and you wouldn't believe the HUGE Snapdragons....like a bush....that come and are stil here through winter..mind you, they don't flower in winter, but wow...lol

And, petunias come up and I planted last year (dug up from me neighbor, so we can share) Daffodils and those, I can't think of the name, but they do look like spider plants....

Love impatients too!

• Like 2

Hi YAYA,

Flowers all the time.

Funny thing, in the rocks, I swear I've never planted flowers and you wouldn't believe the HUGE Snapdragons....like a bush....that come and are stil here through winter..mind you, they don't flower in winter, but wow...lol

And, petunias come up and I planted last year (dug up from me neighbor, so we can share) Daffodils and those, I can't think of the name, but they do look like spider plants....

Love impatients too!

LIN! :hi:

Flowers are interesting creatures. I love how certain species will go to sleep in winter and come back in spring. I'm thinking of getting camomile and lavender too this year.

I'm gonna grow the catnip for the lil feline and put some cat grass out there for her too. :)

Hi YAYA,

Flowers all the time.

Love impatients too!

Flowers are interesting creatures. I love how certain species will go to sleep in winter and come back in spring. I'm thinking of getting camomile and lavender too this year.

I'm gonna grow the catnip for the lil feline and put some cat grass out there for her too. :)

Hi sweetie,

I've always wanted lilac bushes...never had or did it.

AWWW...tha't sweet what you're doing for your kitty.

It's great to plant our own....much healthier and cheaper!

I'll let you know more about my funny strawbearis and tomato plants (several years ago) because I have to work now...

xxx

• Like 2

I'll start it off:

Sounds great... will it my hair grow??????????????????????????

Not sure if it will stimulate hair growth but it definitely will moisturize your scalp. :LOL:

Hi YAYA,

Flowers all the time.

Love impatients too!

Hi sweetie,

I'll let you know more about my funny strawbearis and tomato plants (several years ago) because I have to work now...

xxx

okay, I planted strawbearis and I kid you not this one was huge, I didn't pick it which I should have but I figured I'd give it a few more days...duh on me. So when I went out to to get it this bird was eating it. Half of my beautiful strawbearie was gone. I was crying...I couldn't believe it!

And the secret (again I kid you not) is when you have/plant tomatoe plants you know those green wormie type things that are there on them in time....take a little container/several depending on how many plants you have and fill them with beer.

I swear they go in there and die. I've done it! True story and you'll have nice tomatoes.

xxxx

• Like 2

Hi YAYA,

Flowers all the time.

Love impatients too!

Hi sweetie,

xxx

okay, I planted strawbearis and I kid you not this one was huge, I didn't pick it which I should have but I figured I'd give it a few more days...duh on me. So when I went out to to get it this bird was eating it. Half of my beautiful strawbearie was gone. I was crying...I couldn't believe it!

And the secret (again I kid you not) is when you have/plant tomatoe plants you know those green wormie type things that are there on them in time....take a little container/several depending on how many plants you have and fill them with beer.

I swear they go in there and die. I've done it! True story and you'll have nice tomatoes.

xxxx

Birds love berries... At least my cat will keep them away. I've heard about those green worm things, but I'm gardening on a balcony do I dunno if I'm going to get those this high up. If I get any ill give your advice a shot to get rid of them.

2 years ago when we lived up north I grew cherry tomatoes and they were grown all inside by the window and the flavor was still amazing! I can't wait for this stoopid winter crap to go away.

I DID see some flowers popping up outta the ground on my way to work today so that gives me hope that it's soon. :)

I also found some recipes for organic perfume I'll post later.

• Like 1

I thought this thread was gonna be about the hard rock n beat number by those blueso'maniac boys RUSH! :codger:

Nope Ducky we already have multiple threads praising and bashing it.

Green Thumbs only here!

:)

• Like 1

I thought this thread was gonna be about the hard rock n beat number by those blueso'maniac boys RUSH! :codger:

Nope Ducky we already have multiple threads praising and bashing it.

Green Thumbs only here!

On another forum I go to green thumbs are likes, and red thumbs are dislikes, so that says that everyone likes your garden thread...

Edit: so I gave you some "green thumb"

It's green here too! :hi:

Edited by treeduck

Where can I get some damn chrysanthemum seeds???

Try a seed market. I like getting seeds and starter plants. Especially when it comes to herbs... its easier to start them when it's already been done for you... you just gotta maintain the shrub.

I cant wait to have my lil shubbery. :D

Hey Big Tree... I sure could have used some of your fresh basil today... I made a killer chicken dish but it would have been "more killer" with fresh basil I didn't goddam have any! How far is it from your place to mine again? 16 hours or something? Damn... I guess I'll have to start some seeds pretty soon, eh?
  • Like 1

Hey Big Tree... I sure could have used some of your fresh basil today... I made a killer chicken dish but it would have been "more killer" with fresh basil I didn't goddam have any! How far is it from your place to mine again? 16 hours or something? Damn... I guess I'll have to start some seeds pretty soon, eh?

Well I had to bring some plants in last night cause it got colder after the storm. Nice lightning tho last night.

Basil like all herbs is always better fresh IMO you can't beat that unique flavour.

I'd wait a lil bit, unless you wanna start the lil guys inside and then move them out onto the porch or something when it's warmer. Stupid winter needs to piss off seriously!

• Like 1

This winter has been WEIRD! It was -21 Celsius at 7 am this morning at my house... I thought the weather man was playing a goddam April Fool's trick on me. I've never trusted that little prick anyway.

So, yes, I'll start my little green things INSIDE!

• Like 1

Hi YAYA,

Flowers all the time.

Love impatients too!

Hi sweetie,

xxx

xxxx

Birds love berries... At least my cat will keep them away. I've heard about those green worm things, but I'm gardening on a balcony do I dunno if I'm going to get those this high up. If I get any ill give your advice a shot to get rid of them.

2 years ago when we lived up north I grew cherry tomatoes and they were grown all inside by the window and the flavor was still amazing! I can't wait for this stoopid winter crap to go away.

I DID see some flowers popping up outta the ground on my way to work today so that gives me hope that it's soon. :)

I also found some recipes for organic perfume I'll post later.

Oh, yaya,

I'd really love for you to post those recipes for organic perfume.

I'm gonna do it when you pos it.

Funny that you should post in here... I JUST started my herb garden today. Starting slowly... I got some cilantro (cause D-Rock uses that on EVERYTHING) and some fresh mint because mint is the coolest!

The organic perfume recipes:

Fresh Floral Perfume

Ingredients

Fresh or dried rose petals

Fresh or dried chamomile flowers

Fresh or dried lavender flowers

Vodka

Method

Combine all together in glass mason jar and add vodka till flowers are covered

Shake daily for 2-6 weeks

Strain and pour into mister bottle

Orange Spiced Perfume

Ingredients

1 cinnamon stick

25 whole cardamom pods

15 cloves

1 vanilla bean cut into small pieces

Zest of 1 orange

8 oz of vodka

Method

Crush spices with mortar and pedstle

Combine with vanilla bean, zest and vodka in glass mason jar

Cap tightly, shake daily 2-6 weeks

Citrus Perfume

Ingredients

1 fresh lemon zest peel

1 fresh grapefruit zest peel

8 oz vodka

Essential oil of choice (basil, chamomile, lavender)

Method

Combine fruit zest in mason jar and add vodka

Shake daily (2-6 weeks)

Strain and pour into mist bottle

Add 2 drops of essential oil

There's 3 of them... basically you let the vodka do all the work :LOL:

Let me know how they come out Lin!

Funny that you should post in here... I JUST started my herb garden today. Starting slowly... I got some cilantro (cause D-Rock uses that on EVERYTHING) and some fresh mint because mint is the coolest!

The organic perfume recipes:

Fresh Floral Perfume

Ingredients

Fresh or dried rose petals

Fresh or dried chamomile flowers

Fresh or dried lavender flowers

Vodka

Method

Combine all together in glass mason jar and add vodka till flowers are covered

Shake daily for 2-6 weeks

Orange Spiced Perfume

Ingredients

1 cinnamon stick

25 whole cardamom pods

15 cloves

1 vanilla bean cut into small pieces

Zest of 1 orange

8 oz of vodka

Method

Crush spices with mortar and pedstle

Combine with vanilla bean, zest and vodka in glass mason jar

Cap tightly, shake daily 2-6 weeks

Citrus Perfume

Ingredients

1 fresh lemon zest peel

1 fresh grapefruit zest peel

8 oz vodka

Essential oil of choice (basil, chamomile, lavender)

Method

Combine fruit zest in mason jar and add vodka

Shake daily (2-6 weeks)

Strain and pour into mist bottle

Add 2 drops of essential oil

There's 3 of them... basically you let the vodka do all the work :LOL:

Let me know how they come out Lin!

I'm physic Ya ya....that's how I knew...Just kidding. Like I really had to say just kidding.

Thank you for the recipes!

I'll let you know when I do it!

• Like 1

On my way back from yoga class last night I stopped in a neighbourhood florist and took home some cute lil rosemary and lavender plants. I can't wait to start my veggies next week. Thinking of doing Kale cause we eat that in everything, snow peas and maybe some peppers. Also may do some arugila or spring greens havent decided yet.

I'll be starting a new garden this year... a big one. The problem is, that I live alone and I always have WAY too much fresh vegetables around here. So, everyone on TRF is invited to my house in mid September to help me pound 'er down. And, since our friendly, but somehow, furious "Gangster" is a veggie/vegan person, she's allowed to bring a U Haul trailer and fill it up for consumption back in southern Cal...

Hey, it would only be about a 30 hour drive for most of you.. no big deal!

Haha let me see what I can do about getting up there. ;)

On my way back from yoga class last night I stopped in a neighbourhood florist and took home some cute lil rosemary and lavender plants. I can't wait to start my veggies next week. Thinking of doing Kale cause we eat that in everything, snow peas and maybe some peppers. Also may do some arugila or spring greens havent decided yet.

yaya, I've been doing yoga when it wasn't even the 'thing'.....I'm older then you so believe me people thought I was nuts.....

I love Yoga. It helps so much!

I love lavender!!!!! You've got me beat with the herbs. I need to start potting some!

My neighbor gave me/we dug them up. A bunch of Hastas and daffodils...we have a little divider between us, and I swear the daffodils have buds and some opened!!! I planted them last year and I can't believe they took so quickly.

I put kale in lots of stuff too! Also, broccoli is a must here...lol

I'm not doing/planting any veggies because the raccoons get in them. That's my excuse....

Flower pots..yes.

I'll get some flowers later on.

• Like 1