Brand new Best Beatles album poll - forget what you picked last time, what's your favourite today?

treeduck

What is the best Beatles album for you?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Beatles album?

• Please Please Me
    • With the Beatles
    • A Hard Day's Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • The Beatles (The White Album)
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let it Be
    • Past Masters Volume 1
    • Past Masters Volume 2

At the moment, A Hard Day's Night. Their first platter full of originals, each one perfect.

After that, take your pick from Beatles For Sale, Rubber Soul, Revolver or Abbey Road.

*waits for "The Beatles were shit" brigade to come in and piss all over the thread.

At the moment, A Hard Day's Night. Their first platter full of originals, each one perfect.

After that, take your pick from Beatles For Sale, Rubber Soul, Revolver or Abbey Road.

*waits for "The Beatles were shit" brigade to come in and piss all over the thread.

Hard Day's Night is a great one, easily the best of the early ones.

Easily Sgt. Peppers - a landmark album that changed music forever.

Revolver is good, but I think seriously overrated - it's got great songs, but isn't entirely consistent, and it feels more haphazard than all the albums that came after it, more like a collection of songs then a cohesive whole. Of course for most bands it would be their best album by a wide margin. For The Beatles, I'd place it 6th.

1. Sgt. Peppers

2. The White Album

3. Magical Mystery Tour

4. Abbey Road

5. Let It Be

6. Revolver

7. Rubber Soul

I'm generally not too interested in pre-Rubber Soul, but they had some great songs earlier on. Past Masters Vol. 2 would rate very high on my list, but I just can't think of it as a real Beatles album - it's really a fantastic compilation.

Pretty much anything Beatles from 1965-1970 was pretty outstanding.

EDITED to add in that Yellow Submarine would also rate VERY highly on my list, except that it's really only half a Beatles album and half an orchestra score.

Edited by rushgoober

Revolver is good, but I think seriously overrated - it's got great songs, but isn't entirely consistent, and it feels more haphazard than all the albums that came after it, more like a collection of songs then a cohesive whole. Of course for most bands it would be their best album by a wide margin. For The Beatles, I'd place it 6th.

1. Sgt. Peppers

2. The White Album

3. Magical Mystery Tour

4. Abbey Road

5. Let It Be

6. Revolver

7. Rubber Soul

I'm generally not too interested in pre-Rubber Soul, but they had some great songs earlier on. Past Masters Vol. 2 would rate very high on my list, but I just can't think of it as a real Beatles album - it's really a fantastic compilation.

There's no way I'd have Let it Be above Revolver and Rubber Soul. I think you pretty much accurately described Let it Be when you were talking about Revolver. Your choices seem to be determined according to the period they were released, summer of love era, later stuff, mid 60s stuff and then early stuff.

1. Sgt. Peppers

2. The White Album

3. Magical Mystery Tour

4. Abbey Road

5. Let It Be

6. Revolver

7. Rubber Soul

There's no way I'd have Let it Be above Revolver and Rubber Soul. I think you pretty much accurately described Let it Be when you were talking about Revolver. Your choices seem to be determined according to the period they were released, summer of love era, later stuff, mid 60s stuff and then early stuff.

my choices are based on what i think is their strongest material. everything from sgt. peppers to the end was pure gold. up until that point, it was less consistent, although once they got past their love songs and only love songs stage it got a lot more interesting.

i would rate revolver higher, but it's got songs like And Your Bird Can Sing, Doctor Robert and I Want To Tell You, which to me are ok, but fairly disposable. Love You To, She Said She Said and For No One are good, but not up to the standards of the rest of the album. It's got some truly great material, but I just find it pretty inconsistent. Outside of a couple of songs on The White Album, they would write very few disposable or mediocre tunes post-Revolver IMHO.

And I still think Revolver is a great album, and groundbreaking... it's just that they really kicked it into a higher gear after Revolver.

This never changes for me. The Beatles (the white album) is my favorite studio album of all time.

the thing with the white album, that even though a couple of songs or so are filler, and a couple more or so are only pretty good, most of it is SO outstanding that it's wrong not to rate this album very, very highly, not only among beatles albums, but among all-time albums by anyone. there's far more than a full album worth of top-notch material on the white album - more like an album and a half's worth.

This never changes for me. The Beatles (the white album) is my favorite studio album of all time.

the thing with the white album, that even though a couple of songs or so are filler, and a couple more or so are only pretty good, most of it is SO outstanding that it's wrong not to rate this album very, very highly, not only among beatles albums, but among all-time albums by anyone. there's far more than a full album worth of top-notch material on the white album - more like an album and a half's worth.

I love the variety, the subpar songs included. There's always the debate that it would have been a better album as a single album. But I love the experience of all of it, warts and all. I can't imagine cutting a single second from it.

• Like 1

1. Sgt. Peppers

2. The White Album

3. Magical Mystery Tour

4. Abbey Road

5. Let It Be

6. Revolver

7. Rubber Soul

my choices are based on what i think is their strongest material. everything from sgt. peppers to the end was pure gold. up until that point, it was less consistent, although once they got past their love songs and only love songs stage it got a lot more interesting.

i would rate revolver higher, but it's got songs like And Your Bird Can Sing, Doctor Robert and I Want To Tell You, which to me are ok, but fairly disposable. Love You To, She Said She Said and For No One are good, but not up to the standards of the rest of the album. It's got some truly great material, but I just find it pretty inconsistent. Outside of a couple of songs on The White Album, they would write very few disposable or mediocre tunes post-Revolver IMHO.

And I still think Revolver is a great album, and groundbreaking... it's just that they really kicked it into a higher gear after Revolver.

I think And Your Bird Can Sing is a great song and Doctor Robert too. There's no real weak tracks on Revolver to my ears and it seems to flow perfectly. The haphazardness you hear comes across as a nice variety to me, keeping things interesting.

1. Sgt. Peppers

2. The White Album

3. Magical Mystery Tour

4. Abbey Road

5. Let It Be

6. Revolver

7. Rubber Soul

I think And Your Bird Can Sing is a great song and Doctor Robert too. There's no real weak tracks on Revolver to my ears and it seems to flow perfectly. The haphazardness you hear comes across as a nice variety to me, keeping things interesting.

She Said She Said is my favourite track on the album.

1. Sgt. Peppers

2. The White Album

3. Magical Mystery Tour

4. Abbey Road

5. Let It Be

6. Revolver

7. Rubber Soul

that's fine. obviously, YMMV...

1. Sgt. Peppers

2. The White Album

3. Magical Mystery Tour

4. Abbey Road

5. Let It Be

6. Revolver

7. Rubber Soul

She Said She Said is my favourite track on the album.

That's a nice one.

They saved the best for last with Abbey.

My problem with not ranking Abbey Road as high as others is the fact it has "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" AND "Octopus's Garden" on it. With all the great songs they had lying around they put those two songs on the same side of an album! One or the other, fine. But both???!!!??? Ringo could've easily sang "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

I would have voted "Magical Mystery Tour", but realized that "Beatles For Sale" is what I listen to most, followed by "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul".

Beatles for Sale might have the best first three songs to start any Beatles album.

• Like 1

I would have voted "Magical Mystery Tour", but realized that "Beatles For Sale" is what I listen to most, followed by "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul".

Beatles for Sale might have the best first three songs to start any Beatles album.

:goodone: Agreed.

My problem with not ranking Abbey Road as high as others is the fact it has "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" AND "Octopus's Garden" on it. With all the great songs they had lying around they put those two songs on the same side of an album! One or the other, fine. But both???!!!??? Ringo could've easily sang "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

i think those are both great songs. :yes: :yes:

i think those are both great songs. :yes: :yes:

They are fun songs. Personally, I think they are too similiar in tone. Revolver has "Yellow Submarine", which is fine, but it didn't need another similiar song on it. I just think they had too many great songs in the vault, especially George.

Revolver, followed by The White Album, Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper's, and Abbey Road.

But you can't go wrong with any of them.

Incidentally, duck, I asked Drew Brees which was his favorite, and he said while he was unfamiliar with the Beatles, One Direction puts out some great stuff.