Phil Collins Genesis

Lately I've actually been digging portions of And Then There Were Three (Burning Rope, Deep in the Motherlode, Down and Out) and Duke (Behind the Lines, Duchess, Duke's Travels, Duke's End). And I've always loved Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering.

I've tried but just cannot get into anything after Duke, although I like Abacab the song, mostly out of youthful nostalgia. I will defend Phil, however, in that he isn't solely to blame for the shift to overt pop. It's my understanding that it's Tony, more so than Mike and Phil, who doesn't like playing the old material. And I think Phil has gone on record saying the Lamb is his favorite Genesis album.

• Like 1

I've recently heard some tunes from a mini LP called "Spot the Pigeon". I think they were outtakes from what would have been on "Wind and Wuthering". Love the tune "Inside and Out". If you haven't heard it, check it out here. The first half is slow and acoustic but then bang! it begins to rock!:

http://youtu.be/gPgj5XN_SK0

I've recently heard some tunes from a mini LP called "Spot the Pigeon". I think they were outtakes from what would have been on "Wind and Wuthering". Love the tune "Inside and Out". If you haven't heard it, check it out here. The first half is slow and acoustic but then bang! it begins to rock!:

http://youtu.be/gPgj5XN_SK0

Yeah, that's a cool EP. They are indeed Wind and Wuthering outtakes. But they are not of an inferior quality; they simply did not fit the flow and feel of the album. I have a copy of the EP on blue vinyl.

• Like 1

One thing both era fans can agree on is that Mama is a fing classic of theirs. PC always delivers the goods when it comes to his darker songs like that and In The Air Tonight.

Surprisingly, I listened to Mama earlier - very good! :)

• Like 2

Anything from Trick of the Tail. If I had to pick one, Dance on a Volcano. Took me a while to figure that odd time out on the drums. 7/8 if I remember correctly??????
  • Like 2

I can't really pick a favorite. When i first got "Wind and Wuthering" I loved it immediately with Eleventh Earl of Mar being my favorite tune. Eventually I got "Trick of the Tail" which I liked but took a few plays to really get into. I love it now.

"And then there were three" is a very transitional album with shorter pop tunes but somehow still progressive sounding. I'm thinking Duke is the first pop oriented album.

edit: The first time i ever heard of "Trick of the Tail" or even classic 70s Genesis was in an interview with Geddy or Alex in a magazine at the time of Power Windows. They mentioned "Dance on a Volcano" specifically. I'm like "huh?" never heard of that!

Edited by circumstantial tree
  • Like 1

Another vote for Home By The Sea - that song is GREAT - the Home By the Sea/Second Home section is awesome. I also love the song Abacab, One for the Vine and Duke's Travels/Duke's End are really good, and of course all of Trick of the Tail reigns supreme.
  • Like 1

One thing both era fans can agree on is that Mama is a fing classic of theirs. PC always delivers the goods when it comes to his darker songs like that and In The Air Tonight.

I like Plenty of Phil era stuff. Abacab is great, and I like Man on the Corner, in the darker vein.

Some of the MoTown-influenced stuffs is good by me, too. No Reply At All, for example.

I love the Phil Collins lead-singer era of Genesis' music...

"A Trick of the Tail"; "Wind and Wuthering" and "...And Then There Were Three" are simply amazing start to finish.

I recently listened to all of the Genesis albums (studio/live/compilations) start to finish in cronological order and was surprised at just how good the albums from the 1980s are and just how well they've held up.

The pop stuff is very good, the rest (non-pop stuff, I guess you could call it) is fantastic.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy

The pop songs are all really good songs if you like pop style songs. And, they made buckets of money starting right around the early 80s. (Collins has a net worth of something like USD, $200 million).

I think the debate (or argument) comes from the old hard-core early Genny prog fans (like me) who feel like the band sold out, pretty much starting with Duke.

If you were never unsure if Genesis sold out with Duke and everything after, ask yourself this - could you see Peter Gabriel singing those songs and being the frontman of the band on those albums?

No goddam way.

• Like 2

If you were never unsure if Genesis sold out with Duke and everything after, ask yourself this - could you see Peter Gabriel singing those songs and being the frontman of the band on those albums?

No goddam way.

I'm not sure I'd call ceasing to churn out self-indulgent prog that virtually no one wants to hear anymore "selling out". I'd call it a natural evolution for a band that wanted to keep making new music that they found interesting.
  • Like 3

I love the Phil Collins lead-singer era of Genesis' music...

"A Trick of the Tail"; "Wind and Wuthering" and "...And Then There Were Three" are simply amazing start to finish.

I recently listened to all of the Genesis albums (studio/live/compilations) start to finish in cronological order and was surprised at just how good the albums from the 1980s are and just how well they've held up.

The pop stuff is very good, the rest (non-pop stuff, I guess you could call it) is fantastic.

That comic sans ms, cursive text is quite difficult to read on tablets and phones, pal.

"Me and Sarah Jane" may not have anything crazy rhythmically, but harmonically it is a beast of a song. If that isn't progressive, I don't know what is.

"Cul de Sac" is another song with many progressive elements that isn't mentioned often. And "Down and Out" is an extremely obvious mention.

• Like 1

A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering I still consider among their "Prog era" albums... It was really after Steve Hackett left the band that Genesis started trending towards the shorter pop-heavy albums.