Acrylic Nails

Xanadoood

My Sister and nephews girlfriend love to have their nails all done up with these acrylic nails. My girlfriend finds the whole thing to be rather tacky and completely out of style.

So what's up? What's the opinion of these wacky acrylic nails? I personally find them un attractive with all the crazy designs and colors.

Many years ago I had my nails done regularly. I never had crazy colors or designs or anything. Just long nails that were always painted a very pretty color. I am very much over that and oddly enough, prefer to have short nails now! I still paint them but long nails drive me crazy. I still want pretty nails though.

I think some women need nail therapy. I don't see the attraction of wildly long nails with gems or whatever attached to them.

Here's a story for you...

One time, I had these beautiful nails. They were painted pink. And they were long. I went bowling one night. I released the ball from my hand. I watched in anticipation to see how many pins I would knock down only to see a perfectly beautiful pink nail fly through the air about 20 feet. It was funny. But I was also quite horrified. I never did see how many pins I knocked down. I also stopped having my nails done.

• Like 1

No to fake nails! I don't get it. I often come across a girl friend who has just lost a nail or something, and it kind of freaks me out. And the jewels and crazy painting... not a fan. Just too much going on, and it's so inconvenient, as anything is that impedes with daily stuff-doing, like washing dishes or gardening or just touching anything, really. Too fussy. I haven't painted my nails in years now (and I don't think drugstore nail polishes are really all that healthy!), but keep my right hand's nails a bit long, in order to do some guitar-playing pick-free. A bit weird with having short nails on my left hand, but convenience is worth it!

And maybe, if the nail trend continues as it's doing, we'll start getting into nail tattoos, or something. Erg, no thanks! But, really, just like many things, we'll probably go full-circle and in a few years go back to 'natural' nails being the trend.

I hate fake nails. I used to get them done all of the time when I was younger and they destroyed my natural nails.

I never did anything hideous involving airbrushing, crystals, flowers, etc... I think for the most part they are done in poor taste and look rather tacky. Where I come from, girls with overtly decorated nails are known as "bro-hoes", not a distinction I'm looking to have.

I think gel nails are the way to go for an in-between. Because my nails are messed up from the acrylics I find it hard to grow them out naturally.

Anyway... yeah, I've found that the closer to natural the better. You're not going to see me running around with pictures of shamrocks on my nails because St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

• Like 1

I hate fake nails. I used to get them done all of the time when I was younger and they destroyed my natural nails.

I never did anything hideous involving airbrushing, crystals, flowers, etc... I think for the most part they are done in poor taste and look rather tacky. Where I come from, girls with overtly decorated nails are known as "bro-hoes", not a distinction I'm looking to have.

I think gel nails are the way to go for an in-between. Because my nails are messed up from the acrylics I find it hard to grow them out naturally.

Anyway... yeah, I've found that the closer to natural the better. You're not going to see me running around with pictures of shamrocks on my nails because St. Patrick's Day is coming up.

Bro-hoes!!! Yes!!!
  • Like 1

I have had acrylics done in the past but I was warned of them as they can be bad for your nails if not done properly. Sometimes when they're done there's a bubble and if water gets in it can cause infection.

Nowadays I just have natural nails and cut them when I feel they're too long.

I've also come to think they they're kinda tacky.

• Like 2

I have had acrylics done in the past but I was warned of them as they can be bad for your nails if not done properly. Sometimes when they're done there's a bubble and if water gets in it can cause infection.

they are...as the great Billy Joel once sang "I love you just they way you are"

they are...as the great Billy Joel once sang "I love you just they way you are"

Billy Joel in general is a good comparison to acrylic nails.

Ok, I use them, not in a girly way or anything. The style of music I play demands long nails, but I can never grow mine out, so fake nails to the rescue! I use them only when I need to and they have to be free of designs or else people tend to get the wrong idea! :LOL:

When I was younger I used them occasionally, but not anymore as they did more damage than they were worth. How does anyone get any chores done with super long nails anyway? I've never figured that out! Now, I keep them short as they are very brittle, will curve up and break if I let them get too long. Very annoying!! (I've tried every nail hardener/growth product known to man and they still break! Best one so far...Sally Hansen Total Complete Care in the pink bottle.)

I have acrylic nails and have them done every other Saturday. I love the convenience and enjoy the time in the nail salon. Mine are very short and square, barely past the end of my fingertips and never any of those crazy designs, just polished with a normal color.

My Sister and nephews girlfriend love to have their nails all done up with these acrylic nails. My girlfriend finds the whole thing to be rather tacky and completely out of style.

So what's up? What's the opinion of these wacky acrylic nails? I personally find them un attractive with all the crazy designs and colors.

I'd say acrylic nails are definately tacky... unless they're wrapped around my schlong. Then, I'd say stylish. :D

My husband got me a gift certificate to a nail salon for our anniversary. I was all "WTF?" I haven't had my nails done since our wedding 10 years ago, and then it was just a simple French manicure. He wasn't trying to tell me anything, just really thought I'd like it. I gave it to my grandmother - it's her salon, so I know she'll use it.

I can't stand trying to function with long nails. Plus I have these awful long "alien fingers" anyway (can span 10 keys on a piano). The last thing I want is for them to look longer.

I've had acrylic nails once and they were so horrible I ripped them off very shortly after they were put on. I dont have a job where long nails are a good thing... massaging people with long nails would be a lil bit awkward and painful I think. Not to mention the hygiene issue.

I hate what they do to real nails... I guess they look nice but for me it's just not functional. If I was in a wedding or something and lots of photos of my hands were happening I guess I'd have them done, but the gel nails are better and last longer IMO.

I've had acrylic nails once and they were so horrible I ripped them off very shortly after they were put on. I dont have a job where long nails are a good thing... massaging people with long nails would be a lil bit awkward and painful I think. Not to mention the hygiene issue.

I hate what they do to real nails... I guess they look nice but for me it's just not functional. If I was in a wedding or something and lots of photos of my hands were happening I guess I'd have them done, but the gel nails are better and last longer IMO.

I'LL HAVE A MASSAGE... I'LL HAVE A MASSAGE... I'LL HAVE A MASSAGE... :D

• Like 1