Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

barney_rebel

I read it when it first came out, coincidentally I'm currently 2/3rds into reading it a second time. So good! :clap: Edited by Alien Girl

The thing that spoke to me about this book, was that it took so many things I was obsessed with as a kid...Rush, Blade Runner, Max Headroom etc. and validated those obsessions. Made me realize I wasn't the only one who obsessed about things like that. Good lord I loved Max Headroom!...the character and the show. No one else I knew cared a whip for it. I didn't play video games to much extent (other than the odd friend's console or arcade) but that was mostly resulting from being kind of poor and not having my own system, not from want of trying. I do remember playing the text based game 'Adventure' in jr. high w/ my best friend on her brother's computer. And earlier than that my neighbor's Atari when I was 7. The first time I got to play a game from start to finish was my ex-brother-in-law's Nintendo and classic Mario. My thumbs have never been more sore. ;) When I finally got my own system it was the original playstation and I loved it. So perhaps I didn't grow up obsessed but I always had it in me. :banana:

I learned origami because of Blade Runner...wanted to leave little origami animals around for people to find just like Gaff. Which really sounds nerdy, but oh well. Never mastered anything but a dragonfly though (that unicorn is hard!) . I loved that movie...we had just a small one room library nearest to where I lived and a very small collection of VHS movies to chose from. Inevitably I'd chose BR if my mom let me chose something...along w/ an exasperated "Again?!" from her. Yeah, again. I may have been the only one at that library checking out that movie since the card was pretty much solidly filled in w/ my name.

Monty Python, check...yup, my sister and I loved it, quoted from it.

And Rush...always Rush...since I was 10.

The 80s...musically, pop-culturally....*sigh* I think everyone loves the decade they came 'of age' in, despite its shortcomings.

I loved this book...like coming home again. Nostalgia at it's finest. :D

You know, I didn't know about the Rush references until someone GM mentioned it in this thread. Even if there weren't any, I would have loved the book just the same. I could re-read this book again right now if I wanted to. It is THAT good!

Finished this a couple of weeks ago and loved it, Rush, '80's culture and Monty Python- how can I not like it. :laughing guy:

I am 2/3 through the book now and i love it. I got it as a Christmas present from someone who saw my classic video game room with the walls adorned with Rush posters. I guess it wasn't hard for her to know I'd love he book, but I feel stupid for not havin read it earlier. I just got to the big Rush part as I was getting ready to go to work today and had to sneak out to lunch so I could read it.
  • Like 1

Finished it last night and it was even better than I expected.

Can't wait for the movie

I'll settle for Ender's Game until then!

Can't wait for the movie

Still need to read that one

I reread it a couple of years ago and it's still awesome. Read the book before you see the movie. The movie will ruin the book for you. And avoid spoilers at all costs.

****SPOILERS*****

Is anyone else disturbed by the tax consequences of Wade's decision to split the prize money with the other 3? If tax laws work then like now, he'll lose half the fortune when he "inherits" it. Then, when he gives 75% to the others, they'll lose half of that! Only 5/16 of the original estate will go to the players. Damn future tax laws!

Can't wait for the movie

Still need to read that one

I reread it a couple of years ago and it's still awesome. Read the book before you see the movie. The movie will ruin the book for you. And avoid spoilers at all costs.

Yah thanks. I saw they whole series is at my library. Probably won't start the book until august. Darn next 20 books are spoken for

****SPOILERS*****

Is anyone else disturbed by the tax consequences of Wade's decision to split the prize money with the other 3? If tax laws work then like now, he'll lose half the fortune when he "inherits" it. Then, when he gives 75% to the others, they'll lose half of that! Only 5/16 of the original estate will go to the players. Damn future tax laws!

I guess it's just me.