Van Halen fans! Vote!

Whose era do you like better?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Whose era do you like better?

• Diamond Dave - David Lee Roth
    • The Red Rocker - Sammy Hagar

Too much controversy surrounding the two (Gary Cherone does not count) Van Halen frontmen. My personal choice is Sammy Hagar, although I really like the DLR-era music also. Post your thoughts.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate DLR - I only started listening when he left. I've seen them twice since, including last summer.

DLR - great entertainer on stage, great moves, arguably better looking

Hagar - Wayyyyy better voice/range and can play guitar.

I'm sorry, but Roth had the perfect voice, personality, presence etc. for that band. I have nothing against Hagar as a singer, but the bottonl ine is: They made good music with Roth, and they didn't make good music with Hagar.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 29 2005, 02:39 PM)
I'm sorry, but Roth had the perfect voice, personality, presence etc. for that band. I have nothing against Hagar as a singer, but the bottonl ine is: They made good music with Roth, and they didn't make good music with Hagar.

??? The music with Hagar was more complex to play.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 09:42 PM)

That does not make it good.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jun 29 2005, 02:46 PM)

That's why many people think Van Halen is a better band than Rush. Rush is more complex, but VH you can enjoy it better.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jun 29 2005, 01:17 PM)
I can't even believe this poll had to be made. Hagar sucks donkey schlong.

while I might not go as far as Riv in his commentary, I do agree. maybe it's an age thing, for if you liked VH and saw them like I did before DLR left, this wouldn't even be a question. they might have gained a lot of new fans with their big hits with Hagar, but they lost a hell of a lot when DLR left.

i used to say for years that i had never fully recovered david lee roth leaving van halen until someone pointed out to me that hagar had been in van halen longer than DLR was. at that point i decided it was time to let it go.

it was quite a shock when david lee roth left as van halen were at the peak of their popularity with their most sucessful album ever and were briefly the undisputed kings of rock and roll. it was kind of like the police who disbanded right at the peak of their popularity the year before.

i digress...

Don't be sorry. I agree. Saw Roth front the band on two tours and he was amazing!

Those two songs he was tricked into recording with the band for their greatest hits CD wound up being the best material they released in years.

I don't hate the hagar releases - they put out some good stuff. But they are nothing compared to what they had with DLR. Not even close.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 02:52 PM)
Oh man I feel like I'm reading my van halen message board now. Let's argue wether or not Rush is better off with Rutsey or Peart.

There was actually a ludicrous thread about that this week. Silly, really.

This is a good time for the greatest movie quote of the last decade:

The Wedding Singer when the ex comes back and is wearing Sandler's VH shirt, he says:

"Take off my VH shirt before you jinx the band and they break up or something."

CLASSIC laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 29 2005, 03:09 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 02:52 PM)
Oh man I feel like I'm reading my van halen message board now.  Let's argue wether or not Rush is better off with Rutsey or Peart.

There was actually a ludicrous thread about that this week. Silly, really.

Yeah saw the title - never read it.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 02:24 PM)
Michael Anthony is the best vocalist in the band actually.

Is that guy out of control awesome, or what? One of the best rock bass players on the planet, and a one man party on stage. And yeah, his backup vocals for the band are one of the reasons they have always sounded so damned good. He can nail these high register but crystal clear notes that will knock you on your ass.

I'm such a fan of that guy.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 29 2005, 03:20 PM)

Is that guy out of control awesome, or what? One of the best rock bass players on the planet, and a one man party on stage. And yeah, his backup vocals for the band are one of the reasons they have always sounded so damned good. He can nail these high register but crystal clear notes that will knock you on your ass.

He is not a great bassist by any means, but he is a HUGE part of the band. His backing vocals make the band - period.

He sang lead on Somebody Get me a Doctor in the last couple of tours. Did an awesome job of it. Sammy sang backing vocals.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 03:30 PM)

He is not a great bassist by any means, but he is a HUGE part of the band. His backing vocals make the band - period.

He sang lead on Somebody Get me a Doctor in the last couple of tours. Did an awesome job of it. Sammy sang backing vocals.

What he can't do technically, he pulls off with ass-kicking stage presence. You don't need to 'play' the best in order to deliever the best, imo.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 29 2005, 03:35 PM)

What he can't do technically, he pulls off with ass-kicking stage presence. You don't need to 'play' the best in order to deliever the best, imo.

Yeah he's a great entertainer. That's what Roth was - great entertainer and fit the band well.

I think if we were to discuss pure singing wise, I like Sammy a lot better than Roth. Pure singing-wise, I like Sammy a lot better than Geddy...

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jun 29 2005, 02:46 PM)

Agreed. VH with Dave had swagger and attitude, and that along with Eddie's playing are what VH was all about. I saw them during the Women and Children First tour and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I liked the Hagar era (For Unlawful... was the last good album), but it was a different VH.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 29 2005, 03:35 PM)

Yeah he's a great entertainer. That's what Roth was - great entertainer and fit the band well.

I think if we were to discuss pure singing wise, I like Sammy a lot better than Roth. Pure singing-wise, I like Sammy a lot better than Geddy...

Sammy's got an awesome voice. He's done great things both in and out of VH. But there's only so much I can listen to him before I've had too much.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 12:43 PM)
Another thing too - just the fact that Roth was such a dick really turned me off from the band.

goodpost.gif

Sammy!!! Sammy!!! Sammy!!!

Archived