Are the hopes for an R40 tour doomed?

nhlrush

If you listened to Geddy on today's WSJ live interview, he made several references to how hard doing a live show is on his voice and the health of his vocal cords.....he said he is forced to not talk on off days and spends those days resting in bed....

he said he needs an extended rest after this tour....

while an R40 tour could start in the fall of 2014, not sure that even a year off the road would be enough for him.

I say an R40 tour seems remote but I remain hopeful....

Edited by nhlrush
  • Like 3

In "A Few Good Men" terms, these are the facts and they are indisputable:

1. They're not retiring any time soon.

2. They love playing and they love working together.

3. They want a nice break after this tour ends.

4. They're old and they have limited time to keep doing this before they can't anymore

5. R40 is a great marketing opportunity

Can't say whether that translates into a tour in late 2014 or something in 2015. They probably don't even know yet. My gut says an R40 tour with a few new songs like on Time Machine that either begins late 2014 or gets pushed off till Spring 2015. Either way we will see them again and it won't be multiple years before we do. They know they have a small window at this point in their career and lives.

• Like 4

In "A Few Good Men" terms, these are the facts and they are indisputable:

1. They're not retiring any time soon.

2. They love playing and they love working together.

3. They want a nice break after this tour ends.

4. They're old and they have limited time to keep doing this before they can't anymore

5. R40 is a great marketing opportunity

Can't say whether that translates into a tour in late 2014 or something in 2015. They probably don't even know yet. My gut says an R40 tour with a few new songs like on Time Machine that either begins late 2014 or gets pushed off till Spring 2015. Either way we will see them again and it won't be multiple years before we do. They know they have a small window at this point in their career and lives.

Thank you for posting this. I'll take your word for it because everything you have posted regarding Rush has turned out to be true. The thought that this may be their last tour has been on the back of my mind for a while now so it's great to hear that I'll most likely have more opportunities to see them!

Poor Geddy and his voice. I wish touring could be easier for him. Well, actually, what could make things a little easier would be...

...to have a tour with little singing! :o I don't know about you guys, but I could go for this: lots of tasty instru-medleys, encompassing lots of 70s stuff, interspersed with 'easier to sing' songs. Geddy's vocals are defintely Rush's fourth instrument, but if worse comes to worst, I would certainly settle for more music and less singing, if it's a matter of this or no touring at all!

I wonder how many people might be interested in a mostly-musical (or even all-music) Rush concert? I would find it too intriguing to not check out! :)

• Like 1

Just because we may want them to tour, doesn't mean they're obligated to. I'm fine with no R40, because I respect the fact that they have been on tour for a while and need an extended break. As for an instrumental tour, well it will still be just as hard on them. It's flat out simple, they need a break, for the greater good! Don't make me start flippin' tables now! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Lol Edited by Sapphire Oraculum
  • Like 1

R40 Tour only existed in the imaginations of those who aspire to dream. It will not happen. Bank on it!

I know this means nothing.....

I know its up to Geddy, Alex & Neil....

I know Geddy really sounds like the vocal issues are really making touring a pain....

but....

I just want to retell my story of speaking with Ray Danniels at the taping of the Time Machine DVD in Cleveland...

I was telling him my thoughts of rush's future plans and said they really should a R40 tour in 2014....

His response, "Have you been reading my notes."

I said it was a no brainer and every big time rush fan would come out to hear the classics and epics....He agreed with a wink and a smile and said he just had to convince the guys...

So, ultimately it will be rush's decision, and who knows, maybe Geddy's voice is at such a point where the decision not to has already been made....

but, thinking in a hopeful vain.....if they played 20-25 shows fall of 2014, came back and did 20-25 shows spring of 2015, just north america....that would be the tour and then they would probably be off the road for two years while they work on the next album....

that's my hope, i will remain hopeful, until it doesn't happen....

• Like 2

I hope not just so the jerk in front of me at the last show I saw holding up his stupid R40 sign for half the show will be disappointed.

Please pardon the obnoxious half of myself, the rest of me would love to see an R40 show too.

Im pretty sure R40 is going to happen... after this mini tour and then the tour they're doing when they do in Europe I think a lil break and R40 will come along.

They are in their PRIME right now and they are probably more popular than they have EVER been... why would they wanna quit now?

Makes no sense.

Agree with those saying R40 won't happen. I believe RUSH will either continue recording and have another tour like CA OR they will announce a farewell tour. I could envision them pulling it off in 2016 to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the album that "made" them and then tell us they want to go home and collect what they call in Canada those Social Assistance System(?) checks.

The forums were all wound up in 2010-11 that there would be 'one last tour' after TM to support the new album...well, then CA is it.

I would love an R40 as much as anyone but it's probably odds against. I'll draw a parallel to the Stones, and yeah of course Rush kicks their ass in every way and Rush tunes are far more inticate but hear me out. Mick, Keith, & Charlie Watts are around 10 years older than the guys in Rush. From 1998-2005 the Stones really cranked up their touring...Bridges to Babylon, No Security, 40 Licks, A Bigger Bang - I dont count last year's 4 shows as a 'tour'. Anyway, Rush has similarly toured a lot since S&A, 6 of the last 7 years I believe.

I tend to see this album & tour as a farewell tour de force and cant wait for the Hamilton show. Newark was great last fall but I want to experience Rush in Canada :)

Agree with those saying R40 won't happen. I believe RUSH will either continue recording and have another tour like CA OR they will announce a farewell tour. I could envision them pulling it off in 2016 to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the album that "made" them and then tell us they want to go home and collect what they call in Canada those Social Assistance System(?) checks.

I'm right there with you leaning towards a farewell tour in 2016 featuring 2112.

Poor Geddy and his voice. I wish touring could be easier for him. Well, actually, what could make things a little easier would be...

...to have a tour with little singing! :o I don't know about you guys, but I could go for this: lots of tasty instru-medleys, encompassing lots of 70s stuff, interspersed with 'easier to sing' songs. Geddy's vocals are defintely Rush's fourth instrument, but if worse comes to worst, I would certainly settle for more music and less singing, if it's a matter of this or no touring at all!

I wonder how many people might be interested in a mostly-musical (or even all-music) Rush concert? I would find it too intriguing to not check out! :)

I've thought of this a few times. All their playing abilities are CERTAINLY at or very near 100%, and it'd save his voice. I don't blame him, that's a looot of singing. But if 50% or more of the show was medleys/instrumentals, that seems like it would sure help. That, and sticking with songs that have lower-pitched singing.

La Villa Strangiato, YYZ, Leave That Thing Alone, Where's My Thing, TMMB... Those plus the drum solo sounds like at least an hour right there.

Regardless of all this talk though, he does need a serious rest after this... They've been touring their asses off for four years straight!

R40 Tour only existed in the imaginations of those who aspire to dream. It will not happen. Bank on it!

That's what I used to think, but likeclockwork usually posts very reliable information, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

There has been murmurings of an R40 among the crew, but that's about it so far. Even still, I would remain optimistic. Hell, Ged's voice is better than it's been in years and other than Neil, they ALL get antsy when they're off the road for too long.

I tend to see this album & tour as a farewell tour de force

Bah, I seriously doubt that they'll "go out" without an official announcement.

• Like 2

That's what I used to think, but likeclockwork usually posts very reliable information, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

There has been murmurings of an R40 among the crew, but that's about it so far. Even still, I would remain optimistic. Hell, Ged's voice is better than it's been in years and other than Neil, they ALL get antsy when they're off the road for too long.

I tend to see this album & tour as a farewell tour de force

Bah, I seriously doubt that they'll "go out" without an official announcement.

Look who's come up for air!

Appreciate it - but Alex has specifically referenced a 40th anniversary tour in interviews as well. It's certainly not a guarantee but it's definitely on the table. I think Alex would sign up on the spot but Geddy and Neil want a break. As I said, they want to keep going and they know they have a limited window of time left so even if they take a break and don't do something in 2014, the break isn't going to be several years.

The forums were all wound up in 2010-11 that there would be 'one last tour' after TM to support the new album...well, then CA is it.

I would love an R40 as much as anyone but it's probably odds against. I'll draw a parallel to the Stones, and yeah of course Rush kicks their ass in every way and Rush tunes are far more inticate but hear me out. Mick, Keith, & Charlie Watts are around 10 years older than the guys in Rush. From 1998-2005 the Stones really cranked up their touring...Bridges to Babylon, No Security, 40 Licks, A Bigger Bang - I dont count last year's 4 shows as a 'tour'. Anyway, Rush has similarly toured a lot since S&A, 6 of the last 7 years I believe.

I tend to see this album & tour as a farewell tour de force and cant wait for the Hamilton show. Newark was great last fall but I want to experience Rush in Canada :)

It's amazing how no matter how many times Alex and Geddy talk about having no plans to retire and loving what they're doing and wanting to do it for as long as they're able, everyone still thinks each tour is a farewell tour. It's almost like Kiss and their 19 farewell tours - except it's the fans calling it a farewell each go-round instead of the band. They'll tell you when they're ready to call it a day. Right now they're telling you the exact opposite.

Edited by likeclockwork