Are the hopes for an R40 tour doomed?

nhlrush

It's not just Geddy, when I saw Rush in San Jose last year Neil was really starting to show his age during his drum solos.

Which one of his 3 solos are you referring too?

Edited by Sgt.D

It's not just Geddy, when I saw Rush in San Jose last year Neil was really starting to show his age during his drum solos.

Jesus Christ, he's 60! He's still—and always will be—a monster. Not to mention that his lifestyle on the road is physically and mentally hard, by choice. I actually he's better (not necessarily faster or more manic) now than ever. Wanna know what worries me? Never his playing or intensity—it's the motorcycling.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ, he's 60! He's still—and always will be—a monster. Not to mention that his lifestyle on the road is physically and mentally hard, by choice. I actually he's better (not necessarily faster or more manic) now than ever. Wanna know what worries me? Never his playing or intensity—it's the motorcycling.

:yes:

Neil is a couple months younger than my dad and a couple months older than my mom... No way in hell either of my parents do what he does. :LOL:

• Like 1

:yes:

Neil is a couple months younger than my dad and a couple months older than my mom... No way in hell either of my parents do what he does. :LOL:

It would be easy if you were 30.

If you listened to Geddy on today's WSJ live interview, he made several references to how hard doing a live show is on his voice and the health of his vocal cords.....he said he is forced to not talk on off days and spends those days resting in bed....

he said he needs an extended rest after this tour....

while an R40 tour could start in the fall of 2014, not sure that even a year off the road would be enough for him.

I say an R40 tour seems remote but I remain hopeful....

I'm surprised that they're even touring anymore. Major league props to them for doing it and doing it so well!!

You can tell how he's changed his singing out of necessity, and done a fine job as such.

Poor Geddy and his voice. I wish touring could be easier for him. Well, actually, what could make things a little easier would be...

...to have a tour with little singing! :o I don't know about you guys, but I could go for this: lots of tasty instru-medleys, encompassing lots of 70s stuff, interspersed with 'easier to sing' songs. Geddy's vocals are defintely Rush's fourth instrument, but if worse comes to worst, I would certainly settle for more music and less singing, if it's a matter of this or no touring at all!

I wonder how many people might be interested in a mostly-musical (or even all-music) Rush concert? I would find it too intriguing to not check out! :)

Some of their best songs are instrumentals including YYZ and LVS.

Then there are songs like Test for Echo, et al, whereby he doesn't have to reach those high shrills, or songs that can easily be altered to lower octaves vocally.

Or, and this may be sacrilege, but like he did in Wish Them Well, just pre-record certain [few] segments that have the high stuff that might make it more difficult.

Might make the overall experience that much more fun for him. He seemed to get a humorous kick out of the Wish Them Well recorded part when they first started this tour. I thought that was good.

Edited by Wingmaster

I hope not just so the jerk in front of me at the last show I saw holding up his stupid R40 sign for half the show will be disappointed.

Please pardon the obnoxious half of myself, the rest of me would love to see an R40 show too.

You should have just kept tapping on alternate shoulders of his throughout the show. When he finally turned around and asked you if you were doing that and why, ask him if he thought it was annoying, then tell him no, that definition has been taking for a billboard hanging directly in front of your face.

I only want R40 if they play deep cuts from the 1970's like what theyre doing on this tour with the 80's. If its the same hits as past tours, I dont care.

Yeah, I agree, maybe even consider an instrumental, or mostly instrumental, album at this stage.

Might keep the pop-riff-raff out too, although ticket sales are ticket sales, eh.

I really wish they'd consider playing much smaller venues like my backyard as well.

I wouldn't worry about the riding. Motorcycling gets a bad rap basically because of riders doing dumb things or just not paying attention. That's usually what causes accidents. The 5% of riders that I know who have been in accidents are the same guys who ride like idiots. Of course, anything can happen, but Neil rides ATGATT and is a very safe rider.

Regardless, IMO Neil is definitely "weakest link" in the Rush tour chain. I really believe that they'll stop touring when HE has had enough. That being said, the couple of times I saw him offstage last leg, he seemed to be in pretty good spirits - even smiling a little bit! It was... well, it was weird, but also encouraging to see that at least for now, he's not completely miserable on the road.

• Like 1

Yeah, agree FOH!

Also, the cruising motorcycling is far less dangerous than the city and metro riding. He seems to be a cruising type.

I have to say, they're also perfectionists, at some point they may feel like they're simply not performing to some arbitrary minimally acceptable level that they have in mind, and I wouldn't blame them for that.

I have some pretty horrid memories of some bands that I saw when I was a kid and younger and again after the lead singer's voice was lame. It becomes difficult to erase that "last memory" mentally, and these guys don't strike me as the types that would risk that.

I'm going to go thru song by song at some point on some late evening and compile a list of all of their instrumental songs. I really think that a tour featuring all or most of those would be really, really cool.

And at the risk of getting thrown out of here by my ear, I also thought that it would be fun for them to mix things up with say another song or two as a cover, like Stairway to Heaven, I'd love to hear how they would do a song like that live. I think it could blow the pants off the original.

Maybe even change up the lyrics somewhat to incorporate no doubt Neil's thoughts.

Don't worry, I'm packing as we we speak. LOL

Poor Geddy and his voice. I wish touring could be easier for him. Well, actually, what could make things a little easier would be...

...to have a tour with little singing! :o I don't know about you guys, but I could go for this: lots of tasty instru-medleys, encompassing lots of 70s stuff, interspersed with 'easier to sing' songs. Geddy's vocals are defintely Rush's fourth instrument, but if worse comes to worst, I would certainly settle for more music and less singing, if it's a matter of this or no touring at all!

I wonder how many people might be interested in a mostly-musical (or even all-music) Rush concert? I would find it too intriguing to not check out! :)

I've been saying this all along, After the CA tour concludes in Aug 2013, they can take a much needed break. then in April hit the studio for a week or two and record two or three new instrumentals and release them in may as a compilation CD with all their other instrumentals. Then hit the road in June or July with R40 billed as an all instrumental tour, Where they play their staples, some unplayed songs all their instrumentals to save Geddy's voice: See setlist below:

Set 1: R40 Instrumedley

(Finding My Way/ By-Tor and the Snow Dog/ The Necromancer/ Passage to Bangkok/ Cygnus X-1/ Hemisphere (Prelude)/ Freewill)

Limelight (First with Words)

Cut to the Chase (with Words)

Where's My Thing?

Leave that Thing Alone

Main Monkey Business

Limbo

Far Cry (with Words)

Caravan (with Words)

2112 Overture/ Temples/ Finale

Set 2:

Archives Instrumedley

(What You're Doing/ In the Mood/ Working Man/ Anthem/ Beneath, Between & Behind/ Fly By Night/ Bastile Day/ No-One at the Bridge/ Didacts & Narpits/ Bastile Day Reprise Ending)

Clockwork Angels(with Words)

The Anarchist (with Words)

New Instrumental (Precipiter)

New Instrumental (A'Dieu aux Fans)

Show Don't Tell (with Words)

Driven (With Words and Bass Solo)

Headlong Flight (with Words)

Mal-Nar

New Drum Solo/ (Skin Trade)

Hope/ La Villa Strangiatto

Xanadu (Entire) (with Words)

Encore:

The Spirit of Radio (with Words)

Tom Sawyer (with Words)

Closer to the Heart (with Words) & Extended Jam

2nd Encore:

YYZ

As you can see this would be minimal singing and very enjoyable :finbar: ! But why wait listen to the R40 Instrumedley now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHWkRjKCMI

Edited by losingit2k

Hey

losingit2k,

you know what?

i don't hate it....

in fact, if I had the chance to hear songs off FBN and CoS, whether with words or without, I would have to sign up for that....

but somehow, I don't see them playing so many songs off the first four studio albums....but on the other hand, they haven't played this stuff in forever and without the vocals, this would be their chance....

If there was an R40 tour, I personally would have to have The Trees in there somewhere and wouldn't mind Natural Science either....

I really miss the lack of Trees or Xanadu or Natural Science or La Villa on the current tour and many other "classics."

I love Power WIndows as much as anyone, and Middletown Dreams is right up there with my favorite all time rush songs, but I thought the first set on the current tour is just too heavy with PoW songs...

Overall,

losingit2k, I say well done....call Ray and book this tour.....

• Like 1

Hey

losingit2k,

you know what?

i don't hate it....

in fact, if I had the chance to hear songs off FBN and CoS, whether with words or without, I would have to sign up for that....

but somehow, I don't see them playing so many songs off the first four studio albums....but on the other hand, they haven't played this stuff in forever and without the vocals, this would be their chance....

If there was an R40 tour, I personally would have to have The Trees in there somewhere and wouldn't mind Natural Science either....

I really miss the lack of Trees or Xanadu or Natural Science or La Villa on the current tour and many other "classics."

I love Power WIndows as much as anyone, and Middletown Dreams is right up there with my favorite all time rush songs, but I thought the first set on the current tour is just too heavy with PoW songs...

Overall,

losingit2k, I say well done....call Ray and book this tour.....

If I only could! If I only could!

:codger:

I've been saying this all along, After the CA tour concludes in Aug 2013, they can take a much needed break. then in April hit the studio for a week or two and record two or three new instrumentals and release them in may as a compilation CD with all their other instrumentals. Then hit the road in June or July with R40 billed as an all instrumental tour, Where they play their staples, some unplayed songs all their instrumentals to save Geddy's voice: See setlist below:

Set 1: R40 Instrumedley

(Finding My Way/ By-Tor and the Snow Dog/ The Necromancer/ Passage to Bangkok/ Cygnus X-1/ Hemisphere (Prelude)/ Freewill)

Limelight (First with Words)

Cut to the Chase (with Words)

Where's My Thing?

Leave that Thing Alone

Main Monkey Business

Limbo

Far Cry (with Words)

Caravan (with Words)

2112 Overture/ Temples/ Finale

Set 2:

Archives Instrumedley

(What You're Doing/ In the Mood/ Working Man/ Anthem/ Beneath, Between & Behind/ Fly By Night/ Bastile Day/ No-One at the Bridge/ Didacts & Narpits/ Bastile Day Reprise Ending)

Clockwork Angels(with Words)

The Anarchist (with Words)

New Instrumental (Precipiter)

New Instrumental (A'Dieu aux Fans)

Show Don't Tell (with Words)

Driven (With Words and Bass Solo)

Headlong Flight (with Words)

Mal-Nar

New Drum Solo/ (Skin Trade)

Hope/ La Villa Strangiatto

Xanadu (Entire) (with Words)

Encore:

The Spirit of Radio (with Words)

Tom Sawyer (with Words)

Closer to the Heart (with Words) & Extended Jam

2nd Encore:

YYZ

As you can see this would be minimal singing and very enjoyable :finbar: ! But why wait listen to the R40 Instrumedley now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdHWkRjKCMI

This would be awesome! I would absolutely love to see this. I've said this before, but there's so much good riffage from the early stuff that it's a veritable medley gold mine! Though I'd probably have fewer of the 'hits' with vocals and go for deeper cuts, but that probably wouldn't appeal to the masses! I stlil hear grumbling at shows about not playing, say, 'Closer to the Heart', and I want to be like, well, they played 'Middletown Dreams'! How awesome is that! :LOL:

Appreciate it - but Alex has specifically referenced a 40th anniversary tour in interviews as well. It's certainly not a guarantee but it's definitely on the table. I think Alex would sign up on the spot but Geddy and Neil want a break. As I said, they want to keep going and they know they have a limited window of time left so even if they take a break and don't do something in 2014, the break isn't going to be several years.

Agree with everything you said. The earliest a 40th anniversary tour will happen will be late 2014 IMO. I think Spring of 2015 is more likely.

Not to be picky, cause I will take it whenever, but is it still a 40th anniversary tour if it starts in 2015?

wouldn't it be cool if the opening night was august 14, 2014, forty years after neil's debut....

of course, the civic arena in pittsburgh (the igloo) is gone....

• Like 1

Agreed. La Villa is probably my favorite tune, shame that it isn't in the CA set(s)

If R40 doesn't happen in 2014 it's not going to happen.

If they break for the entire year it will be to record a new album for release in the first half of '15.

R40 will happen in some fashion IMO...I can just hear all that $$$$$ going to the bank! Too good an opportunity to pass up at this stage!! All us die-hard fans will turn out for the shows!!

Edited by rushfanforever!