Official 2013 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

The Yankees will destroy you all. Just you wait…

That might so but have plenty of Ben gay ready to heal those old players. It should be another interesting year the Rays are a far better team than both. The Sox will hold their own just the same.

That might so but have plenty of Ben gay ready to heal those old players. It should be another interesting year the Rays are a far better team than both. The Sox will hold their own just the same.

Sox yes, but Tampa is destined for third. Their lineup is Longoria and…uh…I think that's it. Their pitching will make them very pesky, but you can't win if you can't score, in the playoffs, you'll find the best pitchers in the game, capable of easily neutralizing a Triple-A—ahem, Tampa Bay—lineup, Yankees pitching included. But good luck to all teams. In the End, though, there can only be one.

Sox yes, but Tampa is destined for third. Their lineup is Longoria and…uh…I think that's it. Their pitching will make them very pesky, but you can't win if you can't score, in the playoffs, you'll find the best pitchers in the game, capable of easily neutralizing a Triple-A—ahem, Tampa Bay—lineup, Yankees pitching included. But good luck to all teams. In the End, though, there can only be one.

Well, I probably should defer to your expertise on AAA offense since you watched more of the 2013 Yankees than I did but the Rays outscored the Yanks by 50 runs that year, before the Yankees lost their best hitter. So, what makes you think the 2014 Yanks have an MLB offense and TB a AAA one?

Well, I probably should defer to your expertise on AAA offense since you watched more of the 2013 Yankees than I did but the Rays outscored the Yanks by 50 runs that year, before the Yankees lost their best hitter. So, what makes you think the 2014 Yanks have an MLB offense and TB a AAA one?

It's all good he's just a Yankee fan talking smack especially after an awful season last year.

It's all good he's just a Yankee fan talking smack especially after an awful season last year.

No, I speak the truth. I swear! Seriously, though, look at the Yankee lineup this year, compared to Tampa Bay's. It's no contest! Tampa has pitching, of course, and great pitching at that. But the Yankee rotation looks solid and their lineup is fearsome. Their problem is that they are streaky, which drives me nuts! This year there should be more good streaks than bad, provided that they are healthy.

No, I speak the truth. I swear! Seriously, though, look at the Yankee lineup this year, compared to Tampa Bay's. It's no contest! Tampa has pitching, of course, and great pitching at that. But the Yankee rotation looks solid and their lineup is fearsome. Their problem is that they are streaky, which drives me nuts! This year there should be more good streaks than bad, provided that they are healthy.

Not seeing it.

Let's compare:

NYY

1. Jacoby Ellsbury CF

2. Derek Jeter SS

3. Carlos Beltran RF

4. Mark Teixeira 1B

5. Brian McCann C

6. Alfonso Soriano DH

7. Brett Gardner LF

8. Kelly Johnson 3B

9. Brian Roberts 2B

An OK lineup, nothing exceptional

Tampa Bay

1. David DeJesus LF

2. Ben Zobrist 2B

3. Evan Longoria 3B

4. Wil Myers RF

5. Matt Joyce DH

6. James Loney 1B

7. Desmond Jennings CF

8. Yunel Escobar SS

9. Ryan Hanigan C

I don't think the Rays will put up 50 more runs than the Yankees, but if I had to pick one that outscores the other, I wouldn't mind having the Rays. The Yankees, as usual, are old with Jeter, Soriano, and Beltran, not to mention the oft injured Texeira.

Not seeing it.

Let's compare:

NYY

1. Jacoby Ellsbury CF

2. Derek Jeter SS

3. Carlos Beltran RF

4. Mark Teixeira 1B

5. Brian McCann C

6. Alfonso Soriano DH

7. Brett Gardner LF

8. Kelly Johnson 3B

9. Brian Roberts 2B

An OK lineup, nothing exceptional

Tampa Bay

1. David DeJesus LF

2. Ben Zobrist 2B

3. Evan Longoria 3B

4. Wil Myers RF

5. Matt Joyce DH

6. James Loney 1B

7. Desmond Jennings CF

8. Yunel Escobar SS

9. Ryan Hanigan C

I don't think the Rays will put up 50 more runs than the Yankees, but if I had to pick one that outscores the other, I wouldn't mind having the Rays. The Yankees, as usual, are old with Jeter, Soriano, and Beltran, not to mention the oft injured Texeira.

I agree with you in terms of age. But the Yankees can still outhit most teams, Tampa included. Ellsbury and Jeter are .290-.300 hitters that will get on base and steal—more Esbury, but yes, Jeter has 10 or 15 left in him. Beltran, Teixeira, McCann, Soriano—that's 100 HR right there, if not more, plus each player's ability to hit .270 or better (with the exception of Tex). Gardner—odd choice to bat him seventh, but it does balance the bottom of the lineup better in terms of speed, and he's capable of at least 25-30 steals. Johnson and Roberts—not bad if they are your 8 and 9, though Roberts is bound for the DL. And rookies Dean Anna and Yangervis Solarte look ready to mash, too.

Now, a look at Tampa. DeJesus—good lead off guy, nice speed. Healthy, he'll perform well. Zobrist and Longo—no problems there. Then it gets a bit sketchy. Myers was great last year, but can he put up the same numbers in his sophomore year? (I personally hope so; he was fun to watch.) Joyce has good power, but can he hit lefties consistently? (Seriously, I don't know. Can he? I haven't paid too much attention to him.) I like Loney, but can we hold him to the same standards as last year? Jennings is great healthy, good bat, great speed. And then Escobar and Hanigan are auestion marks. Not so much Escobar as Hanigan, but still.

Both teams do indeed have their question marks and their flaws. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top. Best of luck to all other teams—except the Boston Red Sux.

Ubaldo signs with Orioles.

Ubaldo was great in Colorado! F THE ORIOLES!!

GO A'S!!

He was great for two months with the indians..