What type of eReader do you have?

barney_rebel

Haven't really needed it yet, but I'm aware of it. I currently have something like 50-odd books on my Nook, all either purchased from the Baen website (eARCs of the newer Honor Harrington books), or have been transferred from the CD that came with a couple of previous hardcovers in the Honorverse series. Baen offers all formats and the CD contains all format version of all the books. Nice thing is, the CD specifies that it can be copied and distributed as much as you want, as long as you don't charge for it. They're all by David Weber, or collaborations between Weber and other authors. I think other Baen authors have done the same thing, and there are a few books they carry by other authors I still need to get.

There's about 40 books or so that are available basically for free on the Honorverse CD. But it's not like I don't already own the dead tree versions of the Honorverse series anyway - in fact, I've bought everything available twice, as I got the entire series for my daughter as well. While my Nook is convenient for reading while travelling, or during breaks at work, I still like to have a physical book to read at home as well. I may not make much money, but I can still afford to do this, so why not?

Here's a link to the Baen Free Library: http://www.baenebooks.com/c-1-free-library.aspx

All the books available there are the complete books, and are completely free. Some that used to be available for free aren't free anymore. You can read about it at the above link.

I bought a Kindle Paperwhite so I could torrent my textbooks (because f**k the textbook industry of extorting students), I read that it has the best PDF functionality, and in my experiences I think it does as well. The touch screen leaves something to be desired, but at least I can scroll with my fingers and pinch zoom, which makes reading textbooks a whole lot easier.

i like audio books, i listen to them generally when I go to bed. good way to go to sleep i found.

but some books I just have to have in my hands and on my shelf

I have had a Nook for almost a year, I wasn't sure I wanted one but glad that I bought it. I still read lots of hard copy books but enjoy taking the Nook on little trips. I am also a big audio book fan and listen to them all the time, nice to be able to do more than one thing at a time. I use my library extensively for all the above, still the best way to get reading material :D Edited by Rhyta

The environmentalist in me is tempted to get one of those things, but I haven't done it, to this point. I just love the feel of a real book too much.

I resisted years husband wanted to get me one. I started with a nook first gen moved onto a nook color gave that to my 5 year old got a nook tablet and ended up getting another nook color for the other kid...they are great on car trips no stylus to lose. Hubby got me a kindle paperwhite for my birthday and I love it. Easy to read outside with sunglasses and in the evening with soft glow.

since I tend to read some long books 1000 pages or so I love having the e reader easy on your hands and I always have a book to read. The kindle syncs to my phone app and audio if you use that

Edited by hcm

nook 1st gen

nook color

nook tablet

kindle paperwhite

android phone with apps

real books

I resisted e readers for the longest time and as you can see once I got one I love them. Especially nice when I read those large books of nearly 1000 pages. I find the ereader so much easier on my hands, not to mention I have a variety of books always with me.

I now let me 5 and 7 year old use the nook color and tablet for reading and apps

Kindle for my phone. My girls have each received Kindles for their Christmas presents, but I haven't been able to get them to connect to our wifi at home for some strange reason.

Maybe I will try again....

Kindle Fire HD

The only time I envy those with paperback books is that 10 minutes of torture having to turn our electronic devices off during takeoff and landing. Only then do i turn to the person next to me reading their dingy, tattered paperback and silently say "yeah, ok, whatever." But then I retort; "have fun reading that thing the next time the lights go out!"

Edited by alphseeker