11 Febuary 1963 - Studio Two, EMI Studios, Abbey Road

Tom Sawyer

On this day The Beatles recorded 10 songs of their debut album Please Please Me, at EMI's Abbey Road Studios in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W42ZEUvqh-s

Well, it was a very cold morning and I didn't know any of them. I actually had to ask Norman Smith, who was the engineer, 'Who are they? Who are who?' so he introduced me and everything else. They were very businesslike, and they just had come down into London from the gig they had done the night before. But they were fine, just like any other group that's coming in to record.

The first session began at 10am. The Beatles recorded 10 takes of There's A Place and nine of I Saw Her Standing There, which at the time had the working title Seventeen.

The first session finished at 1pm and the studio staff took a break for lunch. The Beatles, meanwhile, had other plans.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/02/11/recording-please-please-me-lp/

Edited by Tom Sawyer

When I see these performances, like Ed Sullivan, and the Ready Steady Go, they were so tight, so polished. I can see what Geoge Martin and others have said about watching these guys record. So effortless, so seemless. So good!!

The Beatles didn't start producing material that really moved me until 1965 (a few songs prior to that), but obviously this date is still of huge cultural significance, as the Beatles changed music irrevocably, forever.

Oh well we better just close this thread, stop any celebration, expunge the album from history. Goober says it doesn't count everyone, everyone take the day off. The Beatles started in 1965 according to Goobs, see you in 2015! :smash:

Please, Please Me :D

Back when they were just a rock and roll band. A great rock and roll band.

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 1