CygnusGal

Do you have a favourite recipe for Cincinnati (Skyline) chili? I'm not from Ohio, but an old friend of mine said this tasted as she remembered it when she was young and she told me how to serve it. Here's my recipe:

2 lbs. ground beef

2 medium onions -- chopped

1 can (16 oz.) tomato sauce

1 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

1 teaspoon cumin

4 teaspoons chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

4 cloves garlic -- crushed

1 ounce unsweetened chocolate -- grated (or 3Tbsp unsweetened powdered cocoa)

2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce

5 cloves (or 1/2 tsp. ground)

1 bay leaf

2 cans (16 oz.) kidney beans, drained

cooked spaghetti -- optional

grated cheddar cheese -- optional

extra chopped onions -- optional

oyster crackers -- optional

hot red pepper sauce -- optional

Put 4 cups of water in a soup or stock pot; crumble in raw ground beef. Cook over medium heat until beef is broken into fine pieces.

Bring to a slow boil; simmer for 30 minutes.

Reduce heat; stir in onions, tomato sauce, red pepper, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt, garlic, chocolate, vinegar, Worchestershire sauce, cloves, bay leaf and kidney beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.

To serve in true Cincinnati tradition, have cooked spaghetti on each plate. Top with the chili. Add Cheddar cheese, chopped onions and oyster crackers, if desired. Have hot sauce on hand for those who want an extra dash of spice in their chili.

:)

• Like 3

Do you have a favourite recipe for Cincinnati (Skyline) chili? I'm not from Ohio, but an old friend of mine said this tasted as she remembered it when she was young and she told me how to serve it. Here's my recipe:

2 lbs. ground beef

1 teaspoon cumin

4 teaspoons chili powder

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

1 bay leaf

Put 4 cups of water in a soup or stock pot; crumble in raw ground beef. Cook over medium heat until beef is broken into fine pieces.

Reduce heat; stir in onions, tomato sauce, red pepper, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, allspice, salt, garlic, chocolate, vinegar, Worchestershire sauce, cloves, bay leaf and kidney beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before serving.

To serve in true Cincinnati tradition, have cooked spaghetti on each plate. Top with the chili. Add Cheddar cheese, chopped onions and oyster crackers, if desired. Have hot sauce on hand for those who want an extra dash of spice in their chili.

now I'm getting hungry for this stuff...three hours is a long time
  • Like 1

2 lbs. ground beef

1 teaspoon cumin

4 teaspoons chili powder

1-1/2 teaspoon salt

1 bay leaf

now I'm getting hungry for this stuff...three hours is a long time

It is sooo worth the wait. The flavours are so good and they just get better with age. I'll eat it several times over the course of a week and I do not tire of it. Many variations and so savoury.

Oooo...now, I want to make another batch. :drool:

• Like 1

Well, it looks like I'll be doin' plenty of farting tomorrow. I'll make this recipe for tomorrow's dinner.

The last chili recipe I made was "Janie's Chili." That stuff was REALLY GOOD, but I nearly shit myself to death after I ate it. And, it was REALLY awkward having to ask one of my friends to help push my stomach lining back in ... He kept on saying "Ewwwwww, ewwwwww."

• Like 2

Well, it looks like I'll be doin' plenty of farting tomorrow. I'll make this recipe for tomorrow's dinner.

The last chili recipe I made was "Janie's Chili." That stuff was REALLY GOOD, but I nearly shit myself to death after I ate it. And, it was REALLY awkward having to ask one of my friends to help push my stomach lining back in ... He kept on saying "Ewwwwww, ewwwwww."

It's official...I wanna party with TBR....IT has to be a blast!

Sounds good to me, Tombstone... maybe I'll get YOU to help with the stomach lining issue next time. That'll give the other guy a break...

IDK. Can't say as I've ever wanted to try pasta and beans. And there's chocolate in there too!? I like my pasta, beans and chocolate separate.

If I did try this though, I think it would be proper to eat a big bowl of it while watching an episode of WKRP.

• Like 1

IDK. Can't say as I've ever wanted to try pasta and beans. And there's chocolate in there too!? I like my pasta, beans and chocolate separate.

If I did try this though, I think it would be proper to eat a big bowl of it while watching an episode of WKRP.

This chili will suprise your pallette. Really good with pasta...it's fantastic...try it and you'll be a fan. It's quite savory and addictive.
  • Like 2

I doubted also. Then I tried it. It is amazingly good! The chocolate is used as a thickening agent. Like mole (pronounced moe-lay), the Mexican sauce. It has chocolate in it too and it is divine (with chicken and soft flour tortillas....mmmm :drool: )

Ok, now I'm going to have to make some mole too.

• Like 2

You can buy it at the grocery store.

I doubted also. Then I tried it. It is amazingly good! The chocolate is used as a thickening agent. Like mole (pronounced moe-lay), the Mexican sauce. It has chocolate in it too and it is divine (with chicken and soft flour tortillas....mmmm :drool: )

Austin Powers - mole mole mole!

• Like 1

Yummmmm....love me some moe-lay. Great recipe Cyg's...giving it a go manana. Chili is just perfect this time of year. I prefer mine with pinto's instead of the kidney beans...I suppose its a taste and texture thing
  • Like 1

I just couldn't like this one. Sorry SC. It is so much better when homemade. I've never had the canned variety, but then again, there's lots of strange things in cans and some of them aren't half bad. They sell brown bread in cans here in New England. :eh: One of the strangest things I've seen, but it's pretty good.

TM, I almost used pintos the last time. I like them and they'd probably work just fine in this recipe.

• Like 1

I just couldn't like this one. Sorry SC. It is so much better when homemade. I've never had the canned variety, but then again, there's lots of strange things in cans and some of them aren't half bad. They sell brown bread in cans here in New England. :eh: One of the strangest things I've seen, but it's pretty good.

TM, I almost used pintos the last time. I like them and they'd probably work just fine in this recipe.

I only suggested the store so Janie could try a jar of it, and get an idea of whether or not she liked it before she tried to make a batch herself.

• Like 1

I only suggested the store so Janie could try a jar of it, and get an idea of whether or not she liked it before she tried to make a batch herself.

Yes, it may be good idea before investing the time into making a pot. Do you have a brand you recommend?

I just read a thread where Janie tried and enjoyed vegemite. If she enjoyed that, surely she will enjoy Cincinnati chili. I haven't tried vegemite so I don't know if I like it. It seems...odd to me. :unsure:

Yes, it may be good idea before investing the time into making a pot. Do you have a brand you recommend?

I just read a thread where Janie tried and enjoyed vegemite. If she enjoyed that, surely she will enjoy Cincinnati chili. I haven't tried vegemite so I don't know if I like it. It seems...odd to me. :unsure:

All she needs to do is go to a good gwocrwy store and wook forw some Skywine Chilwee.

:LOL:

• Like 1

I've been adding cocoa powder to chili for a few years now. It does sound strange, but it adds a richer, almost slow-roasted flavor to the chili.

If anyone is wary of using it, make a small batch first. Maybe only 1 T. to 1 lb. ground beef.

Good stuff.

• Like 3

All she needs to do is go to a good gwocrwy store and wook forw some Skywine Chilwee.

:LOL:

:LOL: I've nevah seen it the stores heah...oooops, sorry that was Boston, not Kwipke.

I'll try CinnChili if you try vegemite!? (FYI, vegemite is slightly different from marmite. I picked up marmite too and it seemed to have a much stronger, more intense flavor which I didn't dig.) When you put vegemite on a cracker or piece of toast, you use a very light, thin amount. I found I really enjoyed it but I like sour things.

• Like 1

I'll try CinnChili if you try vegemite!? (FYI, vegemite is slightly different from marmite. I picked up marmite too and it seemed to have a much stronger, more intense flavor which I didn't dig.) When you put vegemite on a cracker or piece of toast, you use a very light, thin amount. I found I really enjoyed it but I like sour things.

If you like sour, you need to try the chili. It's got a bit of a tang to it - very different than a regular chili.

I enjoy sour too - sometimes too much. And I do try new foods. Sure! I'll give it a shot. I pick up a small jar when I'm at the store next time. Any particular brand I should look for?

Thanks, Janie. :)

:cheers:

If you like sour, you need to try the chili. It's got a bit of a tang to it - very different than a regular chili.

I enjoy sour too - sometimes too much. And I do try new foods. Sure! I'll give it a shot. I pick up a small jar when I'm at the store next time. Any particular brand I should look for?

Thanks, Janie. :)

:cheers:

WOOHOO! Game on! Ok, I'll make some CinnChili tomorrow.

You know, I have only ever seen one jar of vegemite in the store. This one, by Kraft:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Vegemite.jpg

• Like 1