Jump to content


Hey England!!! You're eating horsemeat dudes!!!


  • Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14440 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

This is shocking. It Behoof's the mind—TM



British schools and hospitals could be at risk in new horse meat fears


Posted Image
Alert ... food firm's pasta dish


By STEVE HAWKES, Business Editor
Last Updated: 08th February 2013


382








DOWNING Street today said that they cannot rule out that horse meat has been served to millions of school pupils and hospital patients.

It emerged last night that beef lasagne meals sold by fast food giants Findus were up to 99 per cent horse.



Posted Image
Chain ... Findus's beef lasagne was bought from
the same French meat supplier which provided
Tesco's withdrawn Value Spaghetti Bolognese.
Aldi has also pulled products from Comigel,
based in Metz, north east France

The food giant has now been ordered to test the dishes for a cancer-causing painkiller used by vets.
Today a spokesman for Findus said they received notification on SATURDAY that their products may contain horsemeat.
The company issued a full product recall on Monday before DNA testing on Wednesday confirmed horsemeat was in their products.
Findus today reiterated its apology over some of its beef lasagne products containing horse meat.
The company said it was “sorry that we have let people down”.
Ministers were rapped over the scandal and customers warned to take meals back to shops.
Downing Street described the latest incident as “distasteful” but stressed there was no evidence of a health risk and urged consumers to follow the FSA advice.
A Number 10 spokeswoman said the matter appeared to involve “acts of criminality” which were being investigated by the police, including officers from the UK.
She could not say, however, whether any tests had been done on school dinners, hospital and prison meals or other state-provided food.
Pressed repeatedly on the issue at a daily briefing for Westminster journalists, she said: “We have a regulatory regime in place and we have bodies that are there to enforce them and there is clearly a responsibility on retailers as well.
“The FSA are looking at this issue. There are routine tests carried out but it is really up to retailers to ensure that what they are selling to people who cook food for other people to consume is what it is on the label.”
She told reporters: “It looks like there have been acts of criminality, which is why the police are involved.”
Asked if that included UK officers, she said: “They are involved."
Findus last night admitted it had no idea how LONG the products had been on sale or how MANY families had bought them.
Tests on 18 sample meals found 11 were at least 60 per cent horse while one was virtually nothing but. The findings — which raised the spectre of human food being contaminated with vets’ drugs — are a major humiliation for the Government.
Labour shadow environment secretary Mary Creagh accused it of being “complacent” over the scandal’s scale and whether fraud was involved.
She said: “British ministers are asleep on the job. This is no longer just a food safety issue but possibly an international criminal trade.”
Red-faced officials at the Food Standards Agency have urged families who bought the ready meals to take them back to shops unopened.

And they ordered Findus to check whether the lasagne contained phenylbutazone — an animal painkiller linked to harmful effects, including potentially causing cancer, in humans.

Findus only admitted a problem with the meals after The Sun reported it had recalled them.
The dishes affected are all frozen Findus Beef Lasagne, 320g, 360g and 500g sizes.

A spokesman said: “Samples were taken from a variety of products. Some samples were as low as 5 per cent and one was 99 per cent.”

The products were bought from Comigel, a French meat supplier.
Tesco has withdrawn an Everyday Value Spaghetti Bolognese bought from the same source in Metz, north east France.


Read more: http://www.thesun.co...l#ixzz2KKUbAEWG

Sponsored Post

#2 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

    Hail the mighty Lag!

  • Members *
  • 10852 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your colon
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

As long as we demand cheap food, this will keep on happening.

#3 librarian

librarian

    Aquarian Librarian

  • Members
  • 6082 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Land of Jimmy Sturr

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

If they consume haggis, then how shocking is horse then?

#4 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 34648 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

View Postlibrarian, on 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

If they consume haggis, then how shocking is horse then?

Yeah, but, when you choose haggis, you KNOW what you're getting (and if you're smart, you'll choose something else... :P). When you think you're eating 100% beef and you're unwittingly eating horse....neigh...

#5 librarian

librarian

    Aquarian Librarian

  • Members
  • 6082 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Land of Jimmy Sturr

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Yes. I think I would not be a happy camper, if that were me. :no:

#6 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 84210 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Someone hiding the barf emote..?

#7 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

    Hail the mighty Lag!

  • Members *
  • 10852 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your colon
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 08 February 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

View Postlibrarian, on 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

If they consume haggis, then how shocking is horse then?

Yeah, but, when you choose haggis, you KNOW what you're getting (and if you're smart, you'll choose something else... :P). When you think you're eating 100% beef and you're unwittingly eating horse....neigh...

Haggis is gorgeous. And with neeps and tatties....mmmmm

#8 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 84210 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostHatchetaxe&saw, on 08 February 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 08 February 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

View Postlibrarian, on 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

If they consume haggis, then how shocking is horse then?

Yeah, but, when you choose haggis, you KNOW what you're getting (and if you're smart, you'll choose something else... :P). When you think you're eating 100% beef and you're unwittingly eating horse....neigh...

Haggis is gorgeous. And with neeps and tatties....mmmmm

Don't know what  a neep is, but I'll take the haggis. Preferable to horse-flavored lasagna...

#9 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

    Hail the mighty Lag!

  • Members *
  • 10852 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Your colon
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostBabycat, on 08 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostHatchetaxe&saw, on 08 February 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 08 February 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

View Postlibrarian, on 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

If they consume haggis, then how shocking is horse then?

Yeah, but, when you choose haggis, you KNOW what you're getting (and if you're smart, you'll choose something else... :P). When you think you're eating 100% beef and you're unwittingly eating horse....neigh...

Haggis is gorgeous. And with neeps and tatties....mmmmm

Don't know what  a neep is, but I'll take the haggis. Preferable to horse-flavored lasagna...

Neeps are turnips!

#10 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 89461 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Keep away from burgers and fast food crap and you'll be ok.

#11 Babycat

Babycat

    Party Animal

  • Members *
  • 84210 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Wherever the catnip is...

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostHatchetaxe&saw, on 08 February 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

View PostBabycat, on 08 February 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostHatchetaxe&saw, on 08 February 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 08 February 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

View Postlibrarian, on 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

If they consume haggis, then how shocking is horse then?

Yeah, but, when you choose haggis, you KNOW what you're getting (and if you're smart, you'll choose something else... :P). When you think you're eating 100% beef and you're unwittingly eating horse....neigh...

Haggis is gorgeous. And with neeps and tatties....mmmmm

You have the neep and I'll take the tatties!  :D

Don't know what  a neep is, but I'll take the haggis. Preferable to horse-flavored lasagna...

Neeps are turnips!


#12 HomesickAlien

HomesickAlien

    Ye Old Morel Sniffer

  • Members *
  • 10513 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hinterland
  • Interests:Daydreaming

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

It may be unethical to foist horse meat on an unsuspecting public, but does it really matter if the ungulate on your plate is a cow or a horse? I'd be hesitant about eating horse meat, but that's just a cultural taboo. Unless you're a vegetarian on moral grounds, you shouldn't be too squeamish about the thought of eating horse meat.
:beathorse:

#13 calirush

calirush

    Prime Mover

  • Members *
  • 863 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Francisco
  • Interests:Rush,family,bass, occasionally even bowling. By the way did I mention Rush?

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

View Postsubstancewithoutstyle, on 08 February 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

It may be unethical to foist horse meat on an unsuspecting public, but does it really matter if the ungulate on your plate is a cow or a horse? I'd be hesitant about eating horse meat, but that's just a cultural taboo. Unless you're a vegetarian on moral grounds, you shouldn't be too squeamish about the thought of eating horse meat.
:beathorse:






http://www.cnn.com/2...robe/index.html

Quote


While horsemeat itself is not considered a food safety risk, its unauthorized use in certain products has raised concerns it could contain the veterinary drug phenylbutazone, or "bute," commonly used to treat horses. Meat from animals treated with phenylbutazone is not allowed to enter the food chain as it may pose a risk to human health.


#14 HomesickAlien

HomesickAlien

    Ye Old Morel Sniffer

  • Members *
  • 10513 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hinterland
  • Interests:Daydreaming

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

View Postcalirush, on 08 February 2013 - 08:57 PM, said:

View Postsubstancewithoutstyle, on 08 February 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

It may be unethical to foist horse meat on an unsuspecting public, but does it really matter if the ungulate on your plate is a cow or a horse? I'd be hesitant about eating horse meat, but that's just a cultural taboo. Unless you're a vegetarian on moral grounds, you shouldn't be too squeamish about the thought of eating horse meat.
:beathorse:






http://www.cnn.com/2...robe/index.html

Quote


While horsemeat itself is not considered a food safety risk, its unauthorized use in certain products has raised concerns it could contain the veterinary drug phenylbutazone, or "bute," commonly used to treat horses. Meat from animals treated with phenylbutazone is not allowed to enter the food chain as it may pose a risk to human health.

I meant the practice of eating horse meat in general terms, not just as it pertained to the incident described in the original post.

Maybe I should have pointed that out. ;)

#15 librarian

librarian

    Aquarian Librarian

  • Members
  • 6082 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:The Land of Jimmy Sturr

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Neeps   are turnips?
:laughing guy:
Ha..not what I was thinking at all!

#16 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

View Postsubstancewithoutstyle, on 08 February 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

It may be unethical to foist horse meat on an unsuspecting public, but does it really matter if the ungulate on your plate is a cow or a horse? I'd be hesitant about eating horse meat, but that's just a cultural taboo. Unless you're a vegetarian on moral grounds, you shouldn't be too squeamish about the thought of eating horse meat.
:beathorse:

You could say the same thing about dog meat or cat meat (looking right at you,  Korea and China.)

When I am eating meat, I should be able to figure it is cow unless otherwise specified.

I live right next to horse country in Virginia.  Believe me,  people want to know what the meat they are eating is.

Edited by Sheldon Cooper, 10 February 2013 - 04:59 PM.


#17 HomesickAlien

HomesickAlien

    Ye Old Morel Sniffer

  • Members *
  • 10513 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Hinterland
  • Interests:Daydreaming

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 10 February 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

View Postsubstancewithoutstyle, on 08 February 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

It may be unethical to foist horse meat on an unsuspecting public, but does it really matter if the ungulate on your plate is a cow or a horse? I'd be hesitant about eating horse meat, but that's just a cultural taboo. Unless you're a vegetarian on moral grounds, you shouldn't be too squeamish about the thought of eating horse meat.
:beathorse:

You could say the same thing about dog meat or cat meat (looking right at you,  Korea and China.)

When I am eating meat, I should be able to figure it is cow unless otherwise specified.

I live right next to horse country in Virginia.  Believe me,  people want to know what the meat they are eating is.

I wasn't suggesting that people should be sold mislabeled meat. I'm sure I'd be upset if I ate what I thought was beef, only to later discover it was horse meat. My point was that if someone eats beef they shouldn't be too indignant about the idea of eating horse.

I'm trying to backpedal as gracefully as possible, so cut me some slack. :P

#18 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postsubstancewithoutstyle, on 10 February 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

View PostSheldon Cooper, on 10 February 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

View Postsubstancewithoutstyle, on 08 February 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

It may be unethical to foist horse meat on an unsuspecting public, but does it really matter if the ungulate on your plate is a cow or a horse? I'd be hesitant about eating horse meat, but that's just a cultural taboo. Unless you're a vegetarian on moral grounds, you shouldn't be too squeamish about the thought of eating horse meat.
:beathorse:

You could say the same thing about dog meat or cat meat (looking right at you,  Korea and China.)

When I am eating meat, I should be able to figure it is cow unless otherwise specified.

I live right next to horse country in Virginia.  Believe me,  people want to know what the meat they are eating is.

I wasn't suggesting that people should be sold mislabeled meat. I'm sure I'd be upset if I ate what I thought was beef, only to later discover it was horse meat. My point was that if someone eats beef they shouldn't be too indignant about the idea of eating horse.

I'm trying to backpedal as gracefully as possible, so cut me some slack. :P

You're lucky I genuinely like you!

:lol:

#19 Tombstone Mountain

Tombstone Mountain

    The Grinder of all Yukonian Blades

  • Members *
  • 14440 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Goatnut, TN
  • Interests:Picking it up. Laying it down.
    Staying on the inside track.
    Sniffin' out the truth!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

You just gotta believe its happening in America...especially Virginia and New York. Watch out for those Banquet Microwave meals for a buck.

#20 Maverick

Maverick

    SWEDGIN!

  • Members *
  • 24849 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Low Earth Orbit
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostTombstone Mountain, on 10 February 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

You just gotta believe its happening in America...especially Virginia and New York. Watch out for those Banquet Microwave meals for a buck.

Thank God I'm not on the Poverty Menu!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users