Jump to content


how do the meet-and-greets work?


  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 bathory

bathory

    Book Würm

  • Members *
  • 9759 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I know this has been asked before but I'm a lazy ass as some of you might know

I just got a bit of $$$ and I'm wondering how I can do the meet-and-greets? do you buy them or what?

Sponsored Post

#2 Snaked

Snaked

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3339 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

You can't buy them.
They are done via radio promos, record company promos, RBSC promos and promoter promos.

If you don't have a friend at your local radio station that can pull some strings or know somebody at Live Nation your best bet is to enter the RBSC giveaways and listen to the local radio stations for call ins.

#3 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Shore, Nova Scotia, CAN
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Maybe if you give Bubbles a phone call... he might be able to get you in!!!!!!!!

#4 Jsteinrush

Jsteinrush

    Restless Young Rushmantic

  • Members
  • 54 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

I have seen meet and greet passes for sale on secondary ticket sites.  Prices starting around 2500 to 3000 per pass !

#5 Snaked

Snaked

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3339 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostJsteinrush, on 06 February 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

I have seen meet and greet passes for sale on secondary ticket sites.  Prices starting around 2500 to 3000 per pass !


That's not really a great way to gamble $2k+
There was a thread on one of the boards recently from somebody who paid for M&G off one of the broker sites and the deal fell through.. If I remember correctly it took the dude a while to get his $$ back after the show.

#6 Digital Man

Digital Man

    He's got a force field and a flexible plan...

  • Moderator
  • 8407 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Windsor, Ontario
  • Interests:My Beautiful Fiancee Sundog, all our kids, RUSH, cigars, beer, Tequila, RUSH, bbqing, snow skiing

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

The best way to get one is to follow Neil to his hotel and leave a 6 pack of beer outside his door in a paper bag around 6:30am,  knocking loudly before running off.

#7 HalfwayToGone

HalfwayToGone

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 875 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Jersey
  • Interests:Music—listening and performing.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostSnaked, on 06 February 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

View PostJsteinrush, on 06 February 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

I have seen meet and greet passes for sale on secondary ticket sites.  Prices starting around 2500 to 3000 per pass !


That's not really a great way to gamble $2k+
There was a thread on one of the boards recently from somebody who paid for M&G off one of the broker sites and the deal fell through.. If I remember correctly it took the dude a while to get his $$ back after the show.
Correct.  That was me.  I had to go though my bank and make a claim, but I did get paid back.  The run around was not fun.  Never trying that again.

#8 bathory

bathory

    Book Würm

  • Members *
  • 9759 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

damn, well guess I'm not meeting rush

#9 Lorraine

Lorraine

    Dial-Up Diva

  • Members *
  • 42714 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Tell them you know me.   It will get you right in.


Only joking everyone.   Hahaha!

#10 bathory

bathory

    Book Würm

  • Members *
  • 9759 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

:dweez:

#11 nhlrush

nhlrush

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 233 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

okay, this is just my opinion, so take it for its worth....(according to snaked, not much)

if you are willing to spend over $2000 to meet rush in a meet and greet.....don't bother and use the money to fund going to as many shows as you can....

here's why...

a rush show is special in itself, enough said...their careers are winding down and you don't know how many more tours there will be...if at all....so see them now while you can....

the meet and greet lasts 30 seconds, i know its special, i did it....i got the chance to shake their hands, say hi, have a picture taken, see my avatar....i showed alex and geddy my custom done jersey and alex said he saw it the night before at the previous show....it was cool that he acknowledged it...so i am probably biased since i did it...it was a dream come true at the time....i met them....

but on the down side, it was 30 seconds, i have the memory and picture, but i also know that they meet hundreds and hundreds of fans every tour and its great that they do that...i mean that so sincerely, its great....but will they ever remember me, no....and that's okay....i am not trying to be friends with them, they happen to be my musical heros and i love them in concert so i go to as many concerts as i can, and am going to more now, thinking the end of the run is gonna be sooner than later....

all i am trying to say is wouldn't you rather run into alex at the orbit room or some other place and just shoot the shit for a few minutes, i have never had the pleasure but from what i hear, he will engage you with normal conversation if you are normal...especially when they are not on tour and you just happen to be in the same room....i know its a little easier said than done, you don't want to stalk them....(i.e. read neil's books)

but another idea that is free....find out what hotel they are staying at, find out their schedules, figure it out, its info that's obtainable if you apply yourself....then see them in the lobby of the hotel, have them sign something, take a quick picture, whatever, if you and a friend are the only fans there, you might actually get more time than at a meet and greet if you do it right....

again, there is a fine line between eager fan and complete stalker....you can't scare them off with your over enthusiasm....

on a side note, my wife feels about the country band Sawyer Brown the way I feel about rush....they were popular in the 90s but now play smaller venues like county fairs, small casinos, they are a touring band and have some die hard fans, but they all tour in one bus, there is one sound guy, no guitar techs, its just a country band, there is no full scale touring.....they just play shows....

well, my wife is in the fan club, we get meet and greets for every show we ever see them, they are just regular guys, some married, some not, we became friendly with the guitar player, even went to his church for a sunday morning service where he plays in the church band....but again, totally different situation and country music is completely different than rock....many country shows i have gone to with my wife, if its not jason aldean at a major arena, or carrie underwood, the artist will stay after the show and if you are willing to wait on line, you can wait and have a picture taken, get an autograph, say hello....

its very similar with nascar drivers, you have to wait on long lines, but if you are willing to do it, you can meet your favorite driver....not all sports or music are like that....

and finally, if you really want to spend $2500 for 30 seconds  and its legit, well, its your money, but i wouldn't want to pay for it...i personally would feel that if i had to shell out money for it, it would feel artificial....as said, go find them in a lobby somewhere....its possible, i am sure people on  this board have stories of meeting them in various places...

Edited by nhlrush, 06 February 2013 - 08:17 PM.


#12 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Shore, Nova Scotia, CAN
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

View Postnhlrush, on 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

okay, this is just my opinion, so take it for its worth....(according to snaked, not much)

if you are willing to spend over $2000 to meet rush in a meet and greet.....don't bother and use the money to fund going to as many shows as you can....

here's why...

a rush show is special in itself, enough said...their careers are winding down and you don't know how many more tours there will be...if at all....so see them now while you can....

the meet and greet lasts 30 seconds, i know its special, i did it....i got the chance to shake their hands, say hi, have a picture taken, see my avatar....i showed alex and geddy my custom done jersey and alex said he saw it the night before at the previous show....it was cool that he acknowledged it...so i am probably biased since i did it...it was a dream come true at the time....i met them....

but on the down side, it was 30 seconds, i have the memory and picture, but i also know that they meet hundreds and hundreds of fans every tour and its great that they do that...i mean that so sincerely, its great....but will they ever remember me, no....and that's okay....i am not trying to be friends with them, they happen to be my musical heros and i love them in concert so i go to as many concerts as i can, and am going to more now, thinking the end of the run is gonna be sooner than later....

all i am trying to say is wouldn't you rather run into alex at the orbit room or some other place and just shoot the shit for a few minutes, i have never had the pleasure but from what i hear, he will engage you with normal conversation if you are normal...especially when they are not on tour and you just happen to be in the same room....i know its a little easier said than done, you don't want to stalk them....(i.e. read neil's books)

but another idea that is free....find out what hotel they are staying at, find out their schedules, figure it out, its info that's obtainable if you apply yourself....then see them in the lobby of the hotel, have them sign something, take a quick picture, whatever, if you and a friend are the only fans there, you might actually get more time than at a meet and greet if you do it right....

again, there is a fine line between eager fan and complete stalker....you can't scare them off with your over enthusiasm....

on a side note, my wife feels about the country band Sawyer Brown the way I feel about rush....they were popular in the 90s but now play smaller venues like county fairs, small casinos, they are a touring band and have some die hard fans, but they all tour in one bus, there is one sound guy, no guitar techs, its just a country band, there is no full scale touring.....they just play shows....

well, my wife is in the fan club, we get meet and greets for every show we ever see them, they are just regular guys, some married, some not, we became friendly with the guitar player, even went to his church for a sunday morning service where he plays in the church band....but again, totally different situation and country music is completely different than rock....many country shows i have gone to with my wife, if its not jason aldean at a major arena, or carrie underwood, the artist will stay after the show and if you are willing to wait on line, you can wait and have a picture taken, get an autograph, say hello....

its very similar with nascar drivers, you have to wait on long lines, but if you are willing to do it, you can meet your favorite driver....not all sports or music are like that....

and finally, if you really want to spend $2500 for 30 seconds  and its legit, well, its your money, but i wouldn't want to pay for it...i personally would feel that if i had to shell out money for it, it would feel artificial....as said, go find them in a lobby somewhere....its possible, i am sure people on  this board have stories of meeting them in various places...


Good Post!!

I don't know about trying to meet them in a lobby or something, though, but that's ligit if you want to.  It's a public place and as long as you're polite, why not?  It's not something I'd do...

But, the rest of this post is bang on.  The main thing for me, is if you have to pay $2500 just to meet someone - ANYONE - that would be really weird.  I didn't even know that one had to pay for a "meet and greet."  I just assumed it was contest winners who were in on that deal.  That ruins it for me right there.

I LOVE Rush, and after 27 shows since 1976, they always have been, they are now and always will be, by far, my favourite band - but holy EFFING EFF - if I need to "pay money" to meet them... they can forget it.  The whole thing seems very artifical and fake to me.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if Geddy and Alex don't even know how much people are paying to meet them.   And, i wouldn't be surprised if they don't even see ANY of the money either.  It's likely part of the promoters's deal.  Just a guess.

For eight seasons I hosted a television show that was seen all across Canada and the USA, parts of Europe.  I made MANY "meet and greet" type appearances all through Canada and the US.  Obviously, there is a big difference between the TV show I did and being a super famous rock iron.  But, even still, I would have felt like a real dickhead if I knew that people had to pay even one single dollar to meet me and have a picture taken, autograph, or whatever the case may be.  I was only too happy that people wanted to meet me in the first place...

As has been said by many famous entertainers before, "Without the fans, we'd have nothing."

If all you'd get is a simple "standard-issue" 30 seconds and a "Hi, I love your music," you might want to reconsider the whole thing.  There is a decent chance that you will be disappointed afterward, for various reasons.

Go to the Orbit Room... buy Big Al a beer...

#13 nhlrush

nhlrush

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 233 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 06 February 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

View Postnhlrush, on 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

okay, this is just my opinion, so take it for its worth....(according to snaked, not much)

if you are willing to spend over $2000 to meet rush in a meet and greet.....don't bother and use the money to fund going to as many shows as you can....

here's why...

a rush show is special in itself, enough said...their careers are winding down and you don't know how many more tours there will be...if at all....so see them now while you can....

the meet and greet lasts 30 seconds, i know its special, i did it....i got the chance to shake their hands, say hi, have a picture taken, see my avatar....i showed alex and geddy my custom done jersey and alex said he saw it the night before at the previous show....it was cool that he acknowledged it...so i am probably biased since i did it...it was a dream come true at the time....i met them....

but on the down side, it was 30 seconds, i have the memory and picture, but i also know that they meet hundreds and hundreds of fans every tour and its great that they do that...i mean that so sincerely, its great....but will they ever remember me, no....and that's okay....i am not trying to be friends with them, they happen to be my musical heros and i love them in concert so i go to as many concerts as i can, and am going to more now, thinking the end of the run is gonna be sooner than later....

all i am trying to say is wouldn't you rather run into alex at the orbit room or some other place and just shoot the shit for a few minutes, i have never had the pleasure but from what i hear, he will engage you with normal conversation if you are normal...especially when they are not on tour and you just happen to be in the same room....i know its a little easier said than done, you don't want to stalk them....(i.e. read neil's books)

but another idea that is free....find out what hotel they are staying at, find out their schedules, figure it out, its info that's obtainable if you apply yourself....then see them in the lobby of the hotel, have them sign something, take a quick picture, whatever, if you and a friend are the only fans there, you might actually get more time than at a meet and greet if you do it right....

again, there is a fine line between eager fan and complete stalker....you can't scare them off with your over enthusiasm....

on a side note, my wife feels about the country band Sawyer Brown the way I feel about rush....they were popular in the 90s but now play smaller venues like county fairs, small casinos, they are a touring band and have some die hard fans, but they all tour in one bus, there is one sound guy, no guitar techs, its just a country band, there is no full scale touring.....they just play shows....

well, my wife is in the fan club, we get meet and greets for every show we ever see them, they are just regular guys, some married, some not, we became friendly with the guitar player, even went to his church for a sunday morning service where he plays in the church band....but again, totally different situation and country music is completely different than rock....many country shows i have gone to with my wife, if its not jason aldean at a major arena, or carrie underwood, the artist will stay after the show and if you are willing to wait on line, you can wait and have a picture taken, get an autograph, say hello....

its very similar with nascar drivers, you have to wait on long lines, but if you are willing to do it, you can meet your favorite driver....not all sports or music are like that....

and finally, if you really want to spend $2500 for 30 seconds  and its legit, well, its your money, but i wouldn't want to pay for it...i personally would feel that if i had to shell out money for it, it would feel artificial....as said, go find them in a lobby somewhere....its possible, i am sure people on  this board have stories of meeting them in various places...


Good Post!!

I don't know about trying to meet them in a lobby or something, though, but that's ligit if you want to.  It's a public place and as long as you're polite, why not?  It's not something I'd do...

But, the rest of this post is bang on.  The main thing for me, is if you have to pay $2500 just to meet someone - ANYONE - that would be really weird.  I didn't even know that one had to pay for a "meet and greet."  I just assumed it was contest winners who were in on that deal.  That ruins it for me right there.

I LOVE Rush, and after 27 shows since 1976, they always have been, they are now and always will be, by far, my favourite band - but holy EFFING EFF - if I need to "pay money" to meet them... they can forget it.  The whole thing seems very artifical and fake to me.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if Geddy and Alex don't even know how much people are paying to meet them.   And, i wouldn't be surprised if they don't even see ANY of the money either.  It's likely part of the promoters's deal.  Just a guess.

For eight seasons I hosted a television show that was seen all across Canada and the USA, parts of Europe.  I made MANY "meet and greet" type appearances all through Canada and the US.  Obviously, there is a big difference between the TV show I did and being a super famous rock iron.  But, even still, I would have felt like a real dickhead if I knew that people had to pay even one single dollar to meet me and have a picture taken, autograph, or whatever the case may be.  I was only too happy that people wanted to meet me in the first place...

As has been said by many famous entertainers before, "Without the fans, we'd have nothing."

If all you'd get is a simple "standard-issue" 30 seconds and a "Hi, I love your music," you might want to reconsider the whole thing.  There is a decent chance that you will be disappointed afterward, for various reasons.

Go to the Orbit Room... buy Big Al a beer...

i think you misunderstood....

people don't pay rush to meet them.....

people who get a meet and greet put them up for sale on the secondary market...

you do win them from radio contests or if you know someone on the crew or know someone who knows someone.....

Meet and Greets are totally free....there is no money for them....but its like getting one of the shirts thrown into the crowd...someone catches a shirt, it could go on ebay....

I got my meet and greet because a guy i met who i was doing a ticket exchange with just asked me "would you like a meet & greet, I am friends with guys who are friends with a merchandise guy and he has a stack of them."

I was like, "you bet I would like one."

boom, that was it, it was pure luck and a generous gesture by a fellow rush fan paying it forward.....if i ever got a meet and greet again and knew someone who hadn't done it, i'd feel compelled to let another do it....my one time was enough (although don't get me wrong, if anyone wants to give me another, i would be glad to it again)

#14 Thunder Bay Rush

Thunder Bay Rush

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:South Shore, Nova Scotia, CAN
  • Interests:Rush, Rush, Rush, drums, living off-grid, fishing, hunting, cooking, gardening, raising and growing my own food! Farting in crowded elevators... silent or otherwise.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

View Postnhlrush, on 06 February 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 06 February 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

View Postnhlrush, on 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

okay, this is just my opinion, so take it for its worth....(according to snaked, not much)

if you are willing to spend over $2000 to meet rush in a meet and greet.....don't bother and use the money to fund going to as many shows as you can....

here's why...

a rush show is special in itself, enough said...their careers are winding down and you don't know how many more tours there will be...if at all....so see them now while you can....

the meet and greet lasts 30 seconds, i know its special, i did it....i got the chance to shake their hands, say hi, have a picture taken, see my avatar....i showed alex and geddy my custom done jersey and alex said he saw it the night before at the previous show....it was cool that he acknowledged it...so i am probably biased since i did it...it was a dream come true at the time....i met them....

but on the down side, it was 30 seconds, i have the memory and picture, but i also know that they meet hundreds and hundreds of fans every tour and its great that they do that...i mean that so sincerely, its great....but will they ever remember me, no....and that's okay....i am not trying to be friends with them, they happen to be my musical heros and i love them in concert so i go to as many concerts as i can, and am going to more now, thinking the end of the run is gonna be sooner than later....

all i am trying to say is wouldn't you rather run into alex at the orbit room or some other place and just shoot the shit for a few minutes, i have never had the pleasure but from what i hear, he will engage you with normal conversation if you are normal...especially when they are not on tour and you just happen to be in the same room....i know its a little easier said than done, you don't want to stalk them....(i.e. read neil's books)

but another idea that is free....find out what hotel they are staying at, find out their schedules, figure it out, its info that's obtainable if you apply yourself....then see them in the lobby of the hotel, have them sign something, take a quick picture, whatever, if you and a friend are the only fans there, you might actually get more time than at a meet and greet if you do it right....

again, there is a fine line between eager fan and complete stalker....you can't scare them off with your over enthusiasm....

on a side note, my wife feels about the country band Sawyer Brown the way I feel about rush....they were popular in the 90s but now play smaller venues like county fairs, small casinos, they are a touring band and have some die hard fans, but they all tour in one bus, there is one sound guy, no guitar techs, its just a country band, there is no full scale touring.....they just play shows....

well, my wife is in the fan club, we get meet and greets for every show we ever see them, they are just regular guys, some married, some not, we became friendly with the guitar player, even went to his church for a sunday morning service where he plays in the church band....but again, totally different situation and country music is completely different than rock....many country shows i have gone to with my wife, if its not jason aldean at a major arena, or carrie underwood, the artist will stay after the show and if you are willing to wait on line, you can wait and have a picture taken, get an autograph, say hello....

its very similar with nascar drivers, you have to wait on long lines, but if you are willing to do it, you can meet your favorite driver....not all sports or music are like that....

and finally, if you really want to spend $2500 for 30 seconds  and its legit, well, its your money, but i wouldn't want to pay for it...i personally would feel that if i had to shell out money for it, it would feel artificial....as said, go find them in a lobby somewhere....its possible, i am sure people on  this board have stories of meeting them in various places...


Good Post!!

I don't know about trying to meet them in a lobby or something, though, but that's ligit if you want to.  It's a public place and as long as you're polite, why not?  It's not something I'd do...

But, the rest of this post is bang on.  The main thing for me, is if you have to pay $2500 just to meet someone - ANYONE - that would be really weird.  I didn't even know that one had to pay for a "meet and greet."  I just assumed it was contest winners who were in on that deal.  That ruins it for me right there.

I LOVE Rush, and after 27 shows since 1976, they always have been, they are now and always will be, by far, my favourite band - but holy EFFING EFF - if I need to "pay money" to meet them... they can forget it.  The whole thing seems very artifical and fake to me.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if Geddy and Alex don't even know how much people are paying to meet them.   And, i wouldn't be surprised if they don't even see ANY of the money either.  It's likely part of the promoters's deal.  Just a guess.

For eight seasons I hosted a television show that was seen all across Canada and the USA, parts of Europe.  I made MANY "meet and greet" type appearances all through Canada and the US.  Obviously, there is a big difference between the TV show I did and being a super famous rock iron.  But, even still, I would have felt like a real dickhead if I knew that people had to pay even one single dollar to meet me and have a picture taken, autograph, or whatever the case may be.  I was only too happy that people wanted to meet me in the first place...

As has been said by many famous entertainers before, "Without the fans, we'd have nothing."

If all you'd get is a simple "standard-issue" 30 seconds and a "Hi, I love your music," you might want to reconsider the whole thing.  There is a decent chance that you will be disappointed afterward, for various reasons.

Go to the Orbit Room... buy Big Al a beer...

i think you misunderstood....

people don't pay rush to meet them.....

people who get a meet and greet put them up for sale on the secondary market...

you do win them from radio contests or if you know someone on the crew or know someone who knows someone.....

Meet and Greets are totally free....there is no money for them....but its like getting one of the shirts thrown into the crowd...someone catches a shirt, it could go on ebay....

I got my meet and greet because a guy i met who i was doing a ticket exchange with just asked me "would you like a meet & greet, I am friends with guys who are friends with a merchandise guy and he has a stack of them."

I was like, "you bet I would like one."

boom, that was it, it was pure luck and a generous gesture by a fellow rush fan paying it forward.....if i ever got a meet and greet again and knew someone who hadn't done it, i'd feel compelled to let another do it....my one time was enough (although don't get me wrong, if anyone wants to give me another, i would be glad to it again)


Holy shit... well thank GOD I misunderstood... it didn't sound right to me anyway.  Thanks for clarifying that.

I think it's shameful that someone would sell a "meet and greet" though... unless they really need the money.

Cheers!

#15 nhlrush

nhlrush

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 233 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I know, its a wierd situation....

someone gets a meet and greet pass and then they sell it for loads of money....

hard to judge someone if they need the money really badly, but it still  seems strange, although i have been saying in another thread that i am going to sell the shirt that was thrown my way by alex...but i think there is a big difference....

the shirt is a shirt, thrown out by random at a concert....

winning a contest is random, or knowing someone who knows someone who knows someone i suppose is sorta random but you are selling off an experience to meet people....

selling the shirt feels like if you won a car by a local raffle and then put it up for sale, that happens all the time, the car has value, you want the cash, you sell it...

i suppose the meet and greet has a value, but i have to agree, it just feels awkward to sell that or to buy it...

#16 Apollo

Apollo

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Boise, Idaho

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

What is the Orbit Room, is it a bar Alex owns or something?

#17 kbomb106

kbomb106

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1774 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VT

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostApollo, on 08 February 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

What is the Orbit Room, is it a bar Alex owns or something?

http://www.orbitroom.ca/orbit.htm

Edited to add that the answer to your question lies under the Club Info link.

Edited by kbomb106, 08 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.


#18 MusicalAbby2112

MusicalAbby2112

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 217 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:New York
  • Interests:Design, Illustration, travel

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I wouldnt mind paying a little money to meet them. after all, they are my absolute heroes.  
But paying a ton of money for a short little meet and greet is a waste of money.

I wish I could meet them though, I always enter the backstage club contests but I have yet to win! I enter every time I see them. I wish there was another way to obtain the passes.

Do all the merch people carry them??

#19 Wingmaster

Wingmaster

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 316 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

View Postnhlrush, on 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

a rush show is special in itself, enough said...their careers are winding down and you don't know how many more tours there will be...if at all....so see them now while you can....

the meet and greet lasts 30 seconds, i know its special, i did it....i got the chance to shake their hands, say hi, have a picture taken, see my avatar....i showed alex and geddy my custom done jersey and alex said he saw it the night before at the previous show....it was cool that he acknowledged it...so i am probably biased since i did it...it was a dream come true at the time....i met them....

but on the down side, it was 30 seconds, i have the memory and picture, but i also know that they meet hundreds and hundreds of fans every tour and its great that they do that...i mean that so sincerely, its great....but will they ever remember me, no....and that's okay....i am not trying to be friends with them, they happen to be my musical heros and i love them in concert so i go to as many concerts as i can, and am going to more now, thinking the end of the run is gonna be sooner than later....

all i am trying to say is wouldn't you rather run into alex at the orbit room or some other place and just shoot the shit for a few minutes, i have never had the pleasure but from what i hear, he will engage you with normal conversation if you are normal...especially when they are not on tour and you just happen to be in the same room....i know its a little easier said than done, you don't want to stalk them....(i.e. read neil's books)

Good overall post, I completely agree.

That "I can't pretend a stranger is a long-awaited friend" applies to all, eh.  None of us would turn down an opp to meet them and shake hands, but I would find it fascinating to sit down w/ Neil and just chat casually and ask some questions that I've never seen asked in rare interviews with him, or the same for Geddy and Alex.  Questions that knowing them they'd probably really enjoy discussing.

I recall a youtube video of Tommy Shaw where some guy/kid caught him en route to somewhere in a hotel and asked him some questions, and Shaw was appreciative of the questions and said that he wished that interviewers would ask questions like that.  He seemed to really enjoy it.

Either way, there's no relationship there and at the end of the day, other than to merely say "I did it," which is nothing but an ego-stroker, you may as well have used cardboard cutouts to have a pic taken.

Nothin' up on Alex or Geddy, or Neil, as they all know and appreciate the fans and are infinitely grateful.  You can see it in their expressions when they play and at other times, that look of "I really can't believe we made a career out of this" look.  LOL

It's great!  And to me that is worth far more than anything I could get from a M&G.

Just listening to their music and trying parse the piece-parts, an all but impossible task with Rush given the complexities and depth of each part on nearly every piece, much less the interactions between those parts, is astonishment enough.

On a side note, maybe if someone brought them a mouse in a bottle of beer it might buy them a personal interview.  LOL



View PostThunder Bay Rush, on 06 February 2013 - 09:33 PM, said:

The whole thing seems very artifical and fake to me.  

Agreed, it's too contrived for my liking.

Edited by Wingmaster, 15 February 2013 - 10:17 AM.


#20 got rush?

got rush?

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Baton Rouge, LA
  • Interests:Anything that involves RUSH ON TOUR.
    Saving all year just to buy RUSH TIXS.
    Wearing RUSH caps, shirts and other RUSH SWAG.
    Maybe win M&G again but actually get to meet them. Lol lol

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostMusicalAbby2112, on 14 February 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:


I wish I could meet them though, I always enter the backstage club contests but I have yet to win! I enter every time I see them. I wish there was another way to obtain the passes.

View PostMusicalAbby2112, on 14 February 2013 - 08:36 PM, said:

I wouldnt mind paying a little money to meet them. after all, they are my absolute heroes.  
But paying a ton of money for a short little meet and greet is a waste of money.

I wish I could meet them though, I always enter the backstage club contests but I have yet to win! I enter every time I see them. I wish there was another way to obtain the passes.

Do all the merch people carry them??

Are you asking "Do other merchandisers carry M&G?"
It would make since if there was other ways to get M & G.
I too have seen meet & greets at ticket brokers sites for $$$$. It really
sucks that true to the core fans (Like wife and I ) have to fight for a good seat
at most venues too! Dam ticket brokers only have profits in mind as they are able
to buy Blocks of seats fast and shut most fans out.  
I have learned that if you don't buy on Presale day 1 you get crap seats.
Getting back to M & G.  I actually WON M&G from Showtech Backstage last year
at Houston in which the M&G passes never showed.  
A few days after the show (AWESOME SHOW ACTUALLY)    I was still livid.
To be so close to having a 30 second photo op with the gods of rock only to have the 5:30 m&g time pass by
and being able to do nothing about it.
I admit being star struck and the build up which started the Monday before didn't help none.  
Showtech has already sent me a signed by 3 copy of the CA TOURBOOK.  
They have also made promises I hope will be kept like M&G of my choice 2013.
We chose Raleigh, NC on May 3.   We have front row Alex side.
I have the word of 3 people at SHOWTECH that we will get M&G at THE PNC ARENA.
It will be a special nite in NC which started 2010 in SYRACUSE then Chicago, N.O.,Houston and THE GORGE then
2012 to Atlanta, Los Angeles, San Diego and Houston.  BOY what a RIDE !!!!!
Look forward to seeing everybody there.
RUSH ON BABY !!!!!






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users