New Orleans SAINTS official thread 2013-14

treeduck

We'll have put up 45 to win. I just hope it's later in the season, I have the feeling Payton will try to pull a Belichick and run up the score against undermanned opponents (and use the pathetic defense as an excuse.)

To me there's no such thing as running up the score, there's just teams that play horribly and get torched and deserve to get torched, like the Saints against the Giants last year when they put up 55 against us. If you can't stop your opponents scoring don't cry for mercy it doesn't look good.

Edited by treeduck

We also hired Stan Kwan as assistant special teams coach, whoo hoo! :zzz: :givebeer: :d13: :doh:

Wrath of Kwan? :eh:

I didn't realize Michelle had her surgery yet...

To me there's no such thing as running up the score, there's just teams that play horribly and get torched and deserve to get torched,

In late 1989, at Riverfront Stadium, Sam Wyche and his Bengals took on Wyche's bitter enemy, Jerry Glanville and the Oilers. Wyche absolutely DESPISED the no-class, dirty coach Glanville. The Bengals were still running onsides kicks when they were up 45-0......en route to a 61-7 destruction of the Oilers and their loser coach.

When there is ill will and bad blood on the field, running up the score not only exists, it thrives.... :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

To me there's no such thing as running up the score, there's just teams that play horribly and get torched and deserve to get torched,

In late 1989, at Riverfront Stadium, Sam Wyche and his Bengals took on Wyche's bitter enemy, Jerry Glanville and the Oilers. Wyche absolutely DESPISED the no-class, dirty coach Glanville. The Bengals were still running onsides kicks when they were up 45-0......en route to a 61-7 destruction of the Oilers and their loser coach.

When there is ill will and bad blood on the field, running up the score not only exists, it thrives.... :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

I remember that rivalry. Glanville was pretty funny. I wonder what happened to him? He was the coach of the Failclowns for a while then... :huh:

We also hired Stan Kwan as assistant special teams coach, whoo hoo! :zzz: :givebeer: :d13: :doh:

Wrath of Kwan? :eh:

I didn't realize Michelle had her surgery yet...

Special teams is going to be really special this year... :smoke:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/6436009/152647262.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Well I suppose he can't mess up the defense anymore than it already is, we've already had the worst defense in NFL history! :blink: Another defense like that would just be meh now. So the worst he can be is "meh"... :hail:

you won't need defense...you have Drew Brees.

Yes I remember that. :yes:

I remember that rivalry. Glanville was pretty funny. I wonder what happened to him? He was the coach of the Failclowns for a while then... :huh:

He was an announcer for a while after leaving Atlanta (he was awful), and I think he actually drove in NASCAR for a race or two.

I remember that rivalry. Glanville was pretty funny. I wonder what happened to him? He was the coach of the Failclowns for a while then...

He was an announcer for a while after leaving Atlanta (he was awful), and I think he actually drove in NASCAR for a race or two.

I remember him saying something once to an official: "You know what NFL stands for? Not For Long if you keep making decisions like that!" he was right about the not for long part anyway.

I remember that rivalry. Glanville was pretty funny. I wonder what happened to him? He was the coach of the Failclowns for a while then...

I remember him saying something once to an official: "You know what NFL stands for? Not For Long if you keep making decisions like that!" he was right about the not for long part anyway.

He might have coined the phrase "No Fun League" when the league cracked down on end zone celebrations, too.

He might have coined the phrase "No Fun League" when the league cracked down on end zone celebrations, too.

Do you think there a Jerry Glanville equivalent in today's NFL?

Do you think there a Jerry Glanville equivalent in today's NFL?

Joe Philbin :)

Hey Jerry's coming back! :oops: :facepalm:

At age 71, former Oilers and Falcons coach enjoys teaching the game.

Terry McCormick

FEBRUARY 05, 2013, 09:34 AM EST

Former Houston Oilers and Atlanta Falcons head coach Jerry Glanville would like another opportunity to coach either in pro or college football.

Glanville, now 71, was scheduled to be the coach of the UFL Hartford Colonials, but that team folded before he got the chance to coach again.

“Coaching never leaves you. That’s a forever gene,” said Glanville told TitanInsider.com

Now, he says he would like the chance to be on a staff as an assistant. Glanville recently helped coach in the East-West Shrine Game and says football hasn't changed much really, even with new wrinkles like the read option and the pistol formation.

http://www.nationalf...n-coaching.html

Edited by treeduck

Here's some good info I found about Ryan...

In Ryan's nine seasons as a defensive coordinator, his offenses have given him a lead of at least eight points or more in 37 games.

In those 37 games, his teams have won 27 of them.

That's a percentage around the 75 mark. Considering the Saints offense, with Sean Payton at the helm, are a team that rarely gets turned away from scoring points, I'd say that that's a good percentage to go by. Having a coach on the defensive side of the ball that knows how to put his foot on the opponent's throat when they are down is great, especially when there is a coach on the offensive side that has that same mentality. Last time i checked, winning 75 percent of your games is a 12-4 season.

Saints re-sign Rafael Bush, Eric Olsen, Michael Higgins

Associated Press

Published: Feb. 14, 2013 at 04:32 p.m

METAIRIE, La. (AP) - New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis says the club has re-signed safety Rafael Bush, tight end Michael Higgins and guard Eric Olsen.

All three players were reserves last season, but Bush and Olsen saw substantial playing time.

Bush appeared in all 16 games and led the Saints with 15 special teams tackles to go with a fumble recovery. He also had an interception, which he returned 40 yards, to go with 13 tackles on defense.

The 6-foot-3, 305-pound Olsen also appeared in 16 games last season, often checking in as a tackle-eligible tight end, giving the Saints an extra blocker.

Higgins was signed by New Orleans as an undrafted free agent in 2011. The 6-6 tight end has appeared in four games with one start.

SAINTS news is pretty sparse during Mardi Gras week... :cheerleader: :zzz: :cheerleader:

The New Orleans Saints have announced two coaching staff moves Saturday. Bret Ingalls is now the offensive line coach after directing the team’s running backs since 2009 and Dan Roushar has been hired as running backs coach.

Roushar is a 28-year coaching veteran in the college ranks, coming to New Orleans following a six-year stint at Michigan State, his last two as offensive coordinator/tight ends coach. His stint with the Spartans marked the fifth time he served as an offensive coordinator, also having done so at Illinois (2004), Northern Illinois (1998-2002), Ball State (1994) and Butler (1989-92).

In 2012, Michigan State’s running game enjoyed a particularly productive campaign as junior RB La’Veon Bell won the Big Ten rushing title with 1,793 yards, the second-highest single-season total in MSU history, as he was selected first-team All-Big Ten and a first-team All-American by CollegeFootballNews.com. The passing offense ranked fourth in the Big Ten. In Roushar’s first season as coordinator in 2011, the Spartans averaged 31.0 points per game, ranked third in the conference, while setting school records for most points (434) and passing yards (3,535) and finishing second in net yards per game (5,466). Prior to his promotion, Roushar served four seasons as offensive line coach.

A two-year letterman as a quarterback at Northern Illinois, Roushar began his coaching career as a student assistant at his alma mater in 1984 and also spent time as an assistant at Butler (1986-92), Rhode Island (1993), Ball State (1994) and Illinois (1995-96), where he served on the same staff as Payton his final year. He then spent six years as offensive line coach at Northern Illinois, before returning to Champaign for a two-year stint in 2003. Roushar arrived in East Lansing after serving as offensive line coach at Cincinnati for two seasons (2005-06).

A coaching veteran of 31 years, Ingalls spent the last four years coaching the Saints running backs, with the running game achieving a top ten ranking in two of those campaigns. Prior to coming to New Orleans, Ingalls spent 26 years coaching in the college ranks, with extensive experience along the offensive line. Before his Saints stint, he served on the staff at Northwestern from 2006-08, where he was running game coordinator/offensive line coach his final season.

In 2008, Ingalls’ Northwestern offensive line started five new players for the majority of the season without extensive experience, but paved the way for the Wildcats to average 141.8 rushing yards per contest and allowed the second-fewest sacks in the Big Ten. Their play helped the Wildcats win nine games for only the fifth time in school history. In 2007, Ingalls’ offensive line blocked for the Big Ten’s top-rated passing attack.

Prior to joining the Northwestern coaching staff, Ingalls coached tight ends and tackles at Miami University in 2005. Ingalls has also had stints at Indiana State (2004), the University of Idaho (2000-02) as offensive coordinator, and was at Louisville from 1995-96 in the same role.

Saints Head Coach Sean Payton and Ingalls worked together on the coaching staff at San Diego State in 1989, where Ingalls served as running backs coach and tutored All-American Marshall Faulk. Ingalls showed his versatility during his years with the Aztecs, spending time as offensive coordinator (1992-93), offensive line coach (1990-92) and running backs coach (1989, 1993).

This may be the single most important transaction in the NFL this offseason...

No this one is! :o

Chargers claimed CB Johnny Patrick off waivers from the Saints.

The 2011 third-rounder was waived on Tuesday. It bodes poorly for Patrick's future that a team as talent deficient as the Saints on defense would waive a day-two pick less than two years after the fact — especially in February — but he's still only 24. He should compete for a spot on special teams in Chargers camp.

per: rotoworld

• Like 1

http://www.thedrawplay.com/comics/2012-03-29-SeanPaytonYearOff.png.png

http://www.thedrawplay.com/comics/2012-07-12-Paytonathome23.pnghttp://www.thedrawplay.com/comics/2012-10-04-SeanPaytonSaga1.pnghttp://www.thedrawplay.com/comics/2012-10-05-SeanPaytonSaga2.pnghttp://www.thedrawplay.com/comics/2012-10-08-SeanPaytonSaga3.pnghttp://www.thedrawplay.com/comics/2013-02-07-Paytons%20Revenge.png

Stupidest trade ever! We cut the guy in October and he played for the Texans for three months... :facepalm:

Larry Holder @LarryHolder

For those wondering, Seattle has the #Saints' seventh-round pick via the NFL draft list. It comes from the Barrett Ruud trade.

2013 NFL Draft Prospect Meetings by Team

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/saintsb_logo.gif New Orleans Saints:

Josh Boyd, DL, Mississippi State (EW)

Aaron Dobson, WR, Marshall (SR)

Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky (EW)

Zaviar Gooden, LB, Missouri (SR)

Corey Grissom, DL, South Florida (SR)

Demontre Hurst, CB, Oklahoma (EW)

Zach Line, RB, SMU (EW)

TJ McDonald, DB, USC (SR)

Bradley McDougald, S, Kansas (EW)

Leon McFadden, DB, San Diego State (SR)

Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon (SR)

Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M (EW) (VINT)

Chris Pantale, TE, Boston College (EW)

Trent Steelman, WR, Army (EW)

Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond (EW)

Chase Thomas, LB, Stanford (SR)

Brandon Williams, DL, Missouri Southern (SR)

Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor (SR)

Tyler Wilson, QB, Arkansas (SR)

2013 NFL Draft Prospect Meetings by Team

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/saintsb_logo.gif New Orleans Saints:

Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M (EW) (VINT)

???

And what's "VINT", or shouldn't I ask?