Michael Schenker V. Eddie Van Halen: "INTO THE ARENA" "ON FIRE!"

RUSHHEAD666

Get INTO THE ARENA! SCHENKER V. VAN HALEN!  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which guitar player is the better all around shredder in 2013?

• Michael Schenker
    • Eddie Van Halen

You old school metal fans need to pick up the double live cd by the Michael Schenker Group! TEMPLE OF ROCK LIVE!

It kicks bloody ass!!! Herman Rarebell is on drums as is the old Scorps bass player is back on the four string sting!

I know TICK hates Herman Ze German. He is totally WRONG! HERMAN CAN PLAY THE DRUMS!!!!!!!!!

Even Rudolf Schenker is on this live record playing to "Blackout" with his brother!

This is by far Michael's best live recording since "Strangers In The Night."

They play many songs off of the "Lovedrive" album. Many songs from the UFO catalog. Also many tunes from the MSG canon.

I'm glad that Eddie was able to get another record under his belt with David Lee Roth and Company but as usual we all knew how that whole thing was going to turn out.

Michael and Eddie actually have a lot in common on the fretboard and away from it.

Both are insane, crazy addicts. Both are GUITAR GODS.

If you were to put Eddie and Michael in a room with their guitars plugged in and they had a shred fest I think that Michael would win.

Do you?

Perhaps if Eddie and Michael had a guitar showdown in 1980 Eddie would have won.

But I'm talking about now in the year 2013. I think Schenker would easily destroy Eddie.

That is hilarious Pat!

Did I tell you that in a pm a few years ago?

Michael is a twisted sick human being but his guitar playing is exceptional.

Yes it's true! Schenker loves it when a chick takes a shit on him when he is having sex with her.

Eddie ain't no New Orleans Saint either though!

As guitar players both men rule.

As ethical and moral human beings?

Both shit the bed of mental stability.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

That is hilarious Pat!

Micheal is a twisted sick human being but his guitar playing is exceptional.

Yes it's true! Schenker loves it when a chick takes a shit on him when he is having sex with her.

I think if you compare them at their peak in the late 70s/early 80s Michael measures up very well, but ultimately Eddie owns him.

And yeah you told me about the shitting! Eddie may not be a SAINT but Schenker is more of a Cleveland Brown!! :moon: <<< Schenker's old lady

• Like 1

That is hilarious Pat!

I think if you compare them at their peak in the late 70s/early 80s Michael measures up very well, but ultimately Eddie owns him.

And yeah you told me about the shitting! Eddie may not be a SAINT but Schenker is more of a Cleveland Brown!! :moon: <<< Schenker's old lady

Oh SHIT! Lol

Pun intended! Now Michael's deep dark hole secret is on a public forum!

Oh well!! Shit happens!!!

Your Cleveland Brown joke is classic!

Perhaps Michael wishes he was a Green Bat Fudge Packer!

Yes, Schenker would have given Eddie a run for his money in the early Eighties.

I'm just in a Schenker mode.

I'm sure when I put Fair Warning on some night I will say Eddie was the greatest that ever was.

Brown Noise Inventor. Right?

You old school metal fans need to pick up the double live cd by the Michael Schenker Group! TEMPLE OF ROCK LIVE!

It kicks bloody ass!!! Herman Rarebell is on drums as is the old Scorps bass player is back on the four string sting!

I know TICK hates Herman Ze German. He is totally WRONG! HERMAN CAN PLAY THE DRUMS!!!!!!!!!

Even Rudolf Schenker is on this live record playing to "Blackout" with his brother!

They play many songs off of the "Lovedrive" album. Many songs from the UFO catalog. Also many tunes from the MSG canon.

I'm glad that Eddie was able to get another record under his belt with David Lee Roth and Company but as usual we all knew how that whole thing was going to turn out.

Michael and Eddie actually have a lot in common on the fretboard and away from it.

If you were to put Eddie and Michael in a room with their guitars plugged in and they had a shred fest I think that Michael would win.

Do you?

Perhaps if Eddie and Michael had a guitar showdown in 1980 Eddie would have won.

But I'm talking about now in the year 2013. I think Schenker would easily destroy Eddie.

Nope. I love Schenker era UFO. Love it! But head to head on pure "shred-ability?" Come on Earl. I'll go ahead and say it. EVH is the greatest hard rock guitarist ever. Ever! No one is even close.

• Like 1

Eddies style was much quirkier than Schenkers. More tools on his belt, and I think he was an overall better songwriter. He just did so much MORE than Schenker.

I think I'm one of the few who thinks Schenker is a bit overrated. Never got all the hype around his playing.

If it was Uli Roth and Eddie, we'd have a battle....

Eddies style was much quirkier than Schenkers. More tools on his belt, and I think he was an overall better songwriter. He just did so much MORE than Schenker.

I think I'm one of the few who thinks Schenker is a bit overrated. Never got all the hype around his playing.

I like that match up! Where would you put Jabs? Wolf Hoffmann from Accept?

Do you?

Nope. I love Schenker era UFO. Love it! But head to head on pure "shred-ability?" Come on Earl. I'll go ahead and say it. EVH is the greatest hard rock guitarist ever. Ever! No one is even close.

Excellent post! I was just feeling the Schenker vibe last night! Eddie does RULE.

I would say Jabs was good for Scorpions style, but didnt really bring anything unique to the table. He laid down some killer , classic solos of that era though.

Accept rock, and Wolf is just a killer riff writer..awesome.

I would say Jabs was good for Scorpions style, but didnt really bring anything unique to the table. He laid down some killer , classic solos of that era though.

As usual I agree with everything you have said!!! Well done amigo!

That is hilarious Pat!

Oh SHIT! Lol

Pun intended! Now Michael's deep dark hole secret is on a public forum!

Oh well!! Shit happens!!!

Your Cleveland Brown joke is classic!

Perhaps Michael wishes he was a Green Bat Fudge Packer!

Yes, Schenker would have given Eddie a run for his money in the early Eighties.

I'm just in a Schenker mode.

I'm sure when I put Fair Warning on some night I will say Eddie was the greatest that ever was.

Brown Noise Inventor. Right?

Eddie has the brown sound, Michael has the brown nose...

:joker:

Jabs has a little Schenker and a little Van Halen too...

Virtually every flashy guitarist from the 80s has a little Van Halen in their style. Not by accident either.

Ya Earl I always make the same comparisons between Ed and Michael.. I always thought of schenker as the "Eddie across the pond" lol.

I kinda thought Eddie was all washed up until I saw VH last year. Man the they guy can still shred!! I was impressed! But unfortunately Schenker is the man for me. He did that Rock Bottom solo when he was barely old enough to drive and it's still the best solo of all time! (Yes it is!! Lol)

Schenker doesn't need to try very hard either, he just gets up there and plays and it sounds amazing!

I will DEFINATELY check out this album though!! I listen to Schenker/UFO probably more than anything else. Thanks for the tip!!

• Like 1

Virtually every flashy guitarist from the 80s has a little Van Halen in their style. Not by accident either.

Aye!

And little did they know that Eddie was trying to get a little bit of Holdsworth in his sound...

Ya Earl I always make the same comparisons between Ed and Michael.. I always thought of schenker as the "Eddie across the pond" lol.

I kinda thought Eddie was all washed up until I saw VH last year. Man the they guy can still shred!! I was impressed! But unfortunately Schenker is the man for me. He did that Rock Bottom solo when he was barely old enough to drive and it's still the best solo of all time! (Yes it is!! Lol)

Schenker doesn't need to try very hard either, he just gets up there and plays and it sounds amazing!

I will DEFINATELY check out this album though!! I listen to Schenker/UFO probably more than anything else. Thanks for the tip!!

Yeah, I saw Van Halen in 2008 twice! Eddie was ON FIRE then too! I don't think Eddie is washed up at all! I hope somehow he records something again. Maybe an Eddie Van Halen solo album? Schenker has a ton of them! I have them all! LOL!

There is no doubt about the "Rock Bottom" guitar solo. I have probably written a few threads on here over the years about it!

It truly is one of the greatest guitar solos in the world!!! Can you name an Eddie Van Halen solo that comes close to that one?

Well the eruption solo last tour was awesome but to me it was more about "let's see how fast I can play.." Not all the time but certainly more so than schenker. Where as schenkers playing sounds a lot better musically if that makes sense.. Listen to the solos in 'highway lady', 'out in the street' or natural thing.. or anything really. To me he's like a cross between Satriani and David Gilmour! So ya.. Sorry Ed

Yeah, I saw Van Halen in 2008 twice! Eddie was ON FIRE then too! I don't think Eddie is washed up at all! I hope somehow he records something again. Maybe an Eddie Van Halen solo album? Schenker has a ton of them! I have them all! LOL!

There is no doubt about the "Rock Bottom" guitar solo. I have probably written a few threads on here over the years about it!

It truly is one of the greatest guitar solos in the world!!! Can you name an Eddie Van Halen solo that comes close to that one?

Every note on Fair Warning.

Schenker was one dimensional..Eddie seemed to come up with new ways of playing the guitar on every Roth era album..

The Rock Bottom solo is killer though..