Lou Reed and Velvet Underground

DanVAhsState

Lou's pretty cool...a bit of a inconsistent career but lots of good stuff....

-Transformer rocks (especially Vicious)

-Berlin is depressing as hell but an interesting album (How producer Bob Ezrin recorded the ending of "Kids" is pretty MEAN though)

-I really like Magic and Loss (very pretty guitar on "Harry's Circumcision (not what u think laugh.gif ))

Blue Mask is a good album as well...

As for VU of course it is the "banana" album that rocks... 1022.gif

Anybody got "Metal Machine Music"? Arguably THE WORST album of all time? ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

I'm not really familiar with Lou Reed solo other than a couple of big hits, but I am a big Velvet Underground fan. My assessment of their albums:

The Velvet Underground & Nico - a truly groundbreaking work that mixes psychedelicia with sex and drugs in an honest and daring way that was way ahead of its time - a brilliant album.

White Light/White Heat - a major divergence into the heart of deviant behavior and the dark side. Also groundbreaking in how punk it was for 1967/1968, but it's not really my cup of tea personally. I don't dislike it, but then again, I rarely listen to it.

The Velvet Underground - the differences between their first three albums is truly astounding. This is an album that is FAR more mellow than White Heat, while still maintaining the edginess that was the Velvet Underground - a heartwrenchingly beautiful album.

Loaded - Again a major shift, this time more towards pure rock and roll - another must have classic. To me the Velvet Underground is apotimized by the song Who Loves the Sun - upon superficial listening, it sounds like a happy upbeat poppy kind of a tune, but if you listen to the lyrics, you realize how dark and edgy it truly is - this is what made them so magical, making angst fun!

Another essential purchase is VU, which was unreleased songs that didn't make it onto the 4 original albums, and is as good as the best of the material on them. They also did some live stuff and an album or two after Lou Reed left that are far less popular and that I've never heard.

LOU REED-NEWYORK / I think one of his best great from beginning to end. MAGIC AND LOSS also good but I like NY better. I also like THE RAVEN Lou's interpretation of the Poe classic. Also have greatest hits cd (Reed hits?) laugh.gif Use to have TRANSFORMER on 8 track . unsure.gif When I get back into a Lou mood again going have to update that one !!!

If one is interested in the Velvet Undrground, all you really need to buy is their box set "Peel Slowly And See" which contains their first 4 albums and tons and tons of demos, live tracks and non-album tracks - superlative, classic, essential... yes.gif cool.gif

Saw the great man in a tent in Skibbereen years ago, he was insolent, moody and spoilt. Noodled away for 2 hours playing stuff I've never heard( I have all his albums, so I was surprised). Came back for an encore, and blew us all away.

Best Album: New York or Berlin, Songs for Drella, with John Cale is also excellent.

Best VU album: Loaded. It's perfect. Oh Sweet Nuthin' will break your heart.

He's a cranky old sod, but you gotta love him, one of the few "poets" in the songwriting genre.

Archived