I love the song xanadu! what is it about and how do you all like it?

Rushfan82

The song xanadu for me, is amazing! I love everything about it. The lyrics are wonderful too,d escribing a world of paradise that a man wants to enter. What do you all think of the song and what is it about?

The song xanadu for me, is amazing! I love everything about it. The lyrics are wonderful too,d escribing a world of paradise that a man wants to enter. What do you all think of the song and what is it about?

I think the song has something to do with Olivia Newton-John.
  • Like 1

It's a great song! :ebert:

• Like 1

Love Xanadu!

It is such an interesting song on so many levels. My favorite part is the long intro on the studio version- it is one of the most sensual instrumental sections of any song ever.

I love the music, and the lyrics. But the two seem to tell very different stories. The music is sensual and sultry, fitting of a steamy tropical climate. The story, however, is set in cold mountain passes, like the Himalayas. In the most literal translation of the song, it about a man who travels by himself, in a selfish quest for immortality. He gets what he asked for, immortality- but not what he desired as he ends up stark raving mad in a cave of ice looking at a never-ending night sky. So, it is a man who gets trapped alone in his own mind.

• Like 1

Love Xanadu!

It is such an interesting song on so many levels. My favorite part is the long intro on the studio version- it is one of the most sensual instrumental sections of any song ever.

I love the music, and the lyrics. But the two seem to tell very different stories. The music is sensual and sultry, fitting of a steamy tropical climate. The story, however, is set in cold mountain passes, like the Himalayas. In the most literal translation of the song, it about a man who travels by himself, in a selfish quest for immortality. He gets what he asked for, immortality- but not what he desired as he ends up stark raving mad in a cave of ice looking at a never-ending night sky. So, it is a man who gets trapped alone in his own mind.

I like the description. :)

• Like 2

Love Xanadu!

I like the description. :)

Thanks! I always worry that I over analyze these things :unsure: can't help it though...

:)

What I enjoy so much about Xanadu is the cinematic nature of the song...I'm taken somewhere when I listen to it. The craft if impeccable. Thoughtfully produced and with real care. It reaches for greatness on every level and succeeds. Very fortunate to have seen it live. The band created a sonic skyscraper with this song.
  • Like 1

This song and Countdown were the two songs that got me into Rush. Such an epic piece of music! :)

Xanadu was the first favorite Rush song I ever had...that was a LONG time ago. And I still love it, but don't listen to it often.

This song was my introduction to Rush many years ago and I was totally blown away when I heard it. Beautiful song on so many levels. One of the best songs they've ever written.

One of the greatest songs written by anybody ever. It would make my top 20. The Lerxst solo is easily top 5 in my list of greatest guitar solos by anyone.