NHL IS BACK: 2013 NHL Season

Cygnus 2112

The multimillionaire Olympian thing is kind of unavoidable, at least this time around. There's zero chance that the KHL will be kept out of a Russian Olympics, and if you let the top Russian league send its players, you kind of have to let the other leagues in too or else you're putting those countries at a significant disadvantage.

And I agree that the hockey is way better with the NHL there. To be honest, since the Olympics are all about money these days I'm not really bothered by it...

Hey, Invisiby. Hawks picked up Kostka. He could be a useful defenseman if we limit his minutes, right?

just my opinion here, but I'm not a fan of the 16 day break in the 2013-14 NHL schedule in February while the winter Olympics are on.... I don't think NHL players should compete at the Olympics. any comments?

The Olympics are so much bigger than the NHL, and adding NHL players to the teams not only increases the talent level, but makes the teams more accessible to viewers. I like it; even though there will be a break from NHL, it won't be from hockey.

Agreed. Sure there will be no NHL for about two weeks or so, but I expect some great top-tier hockey and maybe get a close look at players that are not in the NHL but have great depth and like you said, it makes the teams more accessible to viewers since viewers may identify the NHL players more often than those that are not.

I don't think the Canada/USA Gold medal match in 2010 would not have been as exciting and have that memorization as one of the more well-known hockey games in history if the NHL players were not in it.

That game was the game that really opened my eyes to hockey that wasn't the Stars in the playoffs..

The multimillionaire Olympian thing is kind of unavoidable, at least this time around. There's zero chance that the KHL will be kept out of a Russian Olympics, and if you let the top Russian league send its players, you kind of have to let the other leagues in too or else you're putting those countries at a significant disadvantage.

And I agree that the hockey is way better with the NHL there. To be honest, since the Olympics are all about money these days I'm not really bothered by it...

Hey, Invisiby. Hawks picked up Kostka. He could be a useful defenseman if we limit his minutes, right?

I think so. He was perfectly fine as a third-pairing guy in Toronto. And the Hawks have crazy depth at D, so limiting his minutes shouldn't be a issue at all...

just my opinion here, but I'm not a fan of the 16 day break in the 2013-14 NHL schedule in February while the winter Olympics are on.... I don't think NHL players should compete at the Olympics. any comments?

The Olympics are so much bigger than the NHL, and adding NHL players to the teams not only increases the talent level, but makes the teams more accessible to viewers. I like it; even though there will be a break from NHL, it won't be from hockey.

Agreed. Sure there will be no NHL for about two weeks or so, but I expect some great top-tier hockey and maybe get a close look at players that are not in the NHL but have great depth and like you said, it makes the teams more accessible to viewers since viewers may identify the NHL players more often than those that are not.

I don't think the Canada/USA Gold medal match in 2010 would not have been as exciting and have that memorization as one of the more well-known hockey games in history if the NHL players were not in it.

Most of the people who are against NHL players in the Olympics simply don't care about international sports. They rate a rivalry between New York and Boston a lot higher than USA and Canada or Russia. This only happens every four years. I think we can bare it.

I just don't care for multi-millionaires competing in the Olympics. Oh well, I thought I'd be in a minority position on this one. One thing I'm wondering, how will the time difference work? (they are 7 or 8 hours ahead?) I remember the evening games from the 1972 Canada Russia series being on tv early afternoon.

Yeah, this is where your recording devices come into play on working days. I don't have to worry. It's not like somebody's going to tell me the scores here in Chicago. :P Also, if we still had a tournament like Canada's Cup in existence, I'd say fine. But since this is the only way to decide which country rules in hockey, I'm forced to be in favor of having professionals in the Olympics.

What would happen if an NHL player is injured at the Olympics so that he has to miss NHL time afterwards? Owner mad? Salary of player is still paid? I hope this never happens, just curious why owners agree to Olympic competition.

Today was Dave Bolland's turn with the Stanley Cup. He spent part of the day here in London, Ontario. First stop was his home gym (they said he lives here in the off season). Then he took it to the Children's Hospital. Finally, he took it to a local prestige golf course. Afterwards, he left London and will spend the rest of the day with it in Mimico (where he was born). Dave is now a Leaf. After the story, the news anchor said that it was a good thing he's already won 2 Stanley Cups (implying he won't be winning any with his new team?).

Today was Dave Bolland's turn with the Stanley Cup. He spent part of the day here in London, Ontario. First stop was his home gym (they said he lives here in the off season). Then he took it to the Children's Hospital. Finally, he took it to a local prestige golf course. Afterwards, he left London and will spend the rest of the day with it in Mimico (where he was born). Dave is now a Leaf. After the story, the news anchor said that it was a good thing he's already won 2 Stanley Cups (implying he won't be winning any with his new team?).

Bolland has done some great things with the Hawks at just the right times. He will be missed more than some Hawks fans may think. Heard an interview with him yesterday on a Toronto radio station. He said he got quite emotional when he found out he was leaving Chicago. Good luck to you, Dave! And he will be a free agent next season so...

• Like 3

Kinda hurts to score the winning goal and then get traded. What other team did he get a ring for? I hope you are right blackhawkrush, maybe they could get him back.

Kinda hurts to score the winning goal and then get traded. What other team did he get a ring for? I hope you are right blackhawkrush, maybe they could get him back.

If I understand your question, he never played for any other NHL team, therefore he has two rings with Chicago. We can only hope some our youngsters work out next season and we end up with enough money to get him back. Good centers were always hard to find in our organization.

Bolland has done some great things with the Hawks at just the right times. He will be missed more than some Hawks fans may think. Heard an interview with him yesterday on a Toronto radio station. He said he got quite emotional when he found out he was leaving Chicago. Good luck to you, Dave! And he will be a free agent next season so...

Dave may enjoy playing in Toronto since he's from that part of Ontario. He will need to get used to the magnifying glass that Leaf hockey players are under. I remember Eric Lindros complaining that he couldn't eat in a restaurant in privacy. And it will be a contrast to what Dave was used to when he played in the OHL. My family and I travelled to Toronto area OHL arenas to support the London Knights. There were more Knights fans in the stands as Toronto didn't seem to care about junior hockey, only the Leafs.

If he's emotional about leaving Chicago now, just wait until the Leafs season gets underway...

If he's emotional about leaving Chicago now, just wait until the Leafs season gets underway...

I only read the first part but I don't agree on the shootouts, I like them and think they make things more exciting. I can see his point on the points for the losing team going away but someone is going to squawk if that happens. Love his idea of keeping Bettman from giving out the Cup, sooo tired of all the boos in the presentation of the Cup. :yes: Edited by Rhyta

How To Fix The NHL

I don't agree with all of it but there's some neat ideas in there.

Lots of good thoughts. I can't say I like the hybrid icing. I know Europe got rid of chasing after the puck a long time ago when some Swedish players ended up with broken backs but these refs are making enough mistakes without giving them more to worry about. Besides, Olczyk wants this rule. :P Also, I don't know if a 10 minute OT period is going to make much difference. And the puck-over-the-glass penalty has to stay. A return to white home jerseys is the right way to go as is the home-and-home idea.

How To Fix The NHL

I don't agree with all of it but there's some neat ideas in there.

All right, I read that article and here's my thoughts on it. On the remove the loser point section, I'm not in favor of the whole the losing team gets 0 pts if this goes to shootout, though I am indeed for the 3-2-1-0 pts system or go back to ties, though I'm sure casual fans does not like to spend their hard earned money to see a game tie.

As for everything else, I say keep Bettman during the presentation. I take great pleasure seeing him get booed especially during 2011 where Vancouver was already past the boiling point of getting angry.

As for the puck over the ice without hitting glass, I say it should be the same as an icing call. People were mad when that call cost the Sharks game two against Kings. Even though, I was happy that LA won that game, I felt a lot of remorse for the Sharks over that scenario that was not the most ideal way I would like to see that game end, though a win is a win and if the tables were flip, Sharks would probably feel the same way.

Same conference teams finals would be pretty interesting if we get that big match-up like Canucks/Blackhawks, Bruins/Habs like the article said while risking not a great big-draw final. Though if the league did that sort of thing last season, it would still end up Bruins/Pens, Hawks/Kings based on pts. (I think it was Hawks, Pens, Bruins, Kings in that order in terms of pts) and we still end up with the big matchup with Hawks/Bruins in the finals.

I agree with getting rid of referees' microphone. Helps build more drama knowing that a goal would be decided or disallowed with just a motion.

Overall, decent article to read.

Edited by Anguyen92

I hope the Blues don't suck next season. Wassup Hawkman?

Only 41 days left. :popcorn:

BHR, right before training camp starts, as your team won the Cup this past year, you have the honor of starting the 2013-14 NHL Season Thread.

Well, if you insist. But I've noticed that the person who started an NHL thread, did not have much luck with his team that year. :unsure: Still, it will be my pleasure.

BHR, right before training camp starts, as your team won the Cup this past year, you have the honor of starting the 2013-14 NHL Season Thread.

Well, if you insist. But I've noticed that the person who started an NHL thread, did not have much luck with his team that year. :unsure: Still, it will be my pleasure.

I don't insist. It's your honor if you want it.

Done!

Done!

Nice. Edited the title to match the other pinned ones. Looks official that way. Pinned it, and unpinning this one. The 2013 thread was a good ship, sad to see her go...

Done!

Nice. Edited the title to match the other pinned ones. Looks official that way. Pinned it, and unpinning this one. The 2013 thread was a good ship, sad to see her go...

Yeah, great season. I must say, I will always think about the Islanders while remembering the Hawks' run over the past few years. After all, we got John Wiedeman, who was the radio voice of the Isles. :cheers:

Edited by blackhawkrush