NHL IS BACK: 2013 NHL Season

Cygnus 2112

http://espn.go.com/n...ent-source-says

NEW YORK -- The lockout appears to finally be over. A tentative agreement has been reached between the NHL and NHLPA, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

The announcement was made after the two sides hashed out their remaining differences for more than 16 hours at a hotel in midtown Manhattan, spelling the end to a lockout that has persisted for almost four months and cost more than half the regular season.

A source told ESPNNewYork.com that the emphasis should be placed on the word "tentative." That source said there is still work to be done but there has been a verbal agreement between the two sides on the major points.

The tentative agreement includes a 10-year CBA with a mutual opt-out clause after 8 years, contract term limits at seven years (eight years for a team to re-sign its own players) and a 2013-14 salary cap of $64.3 million, a source confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.

The tentative agreement includes a 10-year CBA with a mutual opt-out clause after 8 years

This is good. I'm not totally convinced that we aren't going to go through this again after this CBA, but 8-10 years is a long while. Gives the NHL plenty of time to truly analyze the impacts and benefits of the cap system, resolve the awful Coyotes situation, and replace Bettman with someone who can actually negotiate with a union. So maybe next time around, "we need money back from the players" won't be the league's default agenda.

contract term limits at seven years (eight years for a team to re-sign its own players)

It's truly unfortunate that the owners couldn't just self-regulate on this, but oh well. The 10+ season, frontloaded deals won't be missed. Now let's see what new self-destructive loophole they come up with instead...

and a 2013-14 salary cap of $64.3 million

So basically what the cap was last year. Isn't it great that we lost half a season over this?

I guess I shouldn't be so cynical now that it looks like we'll get NHL hockey after all. But there's really nothing worth celebrating. The league has lost fans, people have lost jobs, and it might take a very long time before that stuff normalizes. It's just a sad situation, but at least it can start to improve now.

Edited by invisibleairwaves

Even though starting a season in January is like eating half a dinner, it gave Hossa and Toews time to recover from their injuries. I can't imagine where my team would be without that pair for three or four months. Go Hawks! :madra:
  • Like 1

So much for not drinking today

:LOLsign:

There is a god!! About damn time they worked things out.....

Hell, I'm still feeling it from last night's Packers game.....some more down the hatch!! Thank God I have off tomorrow! :cheers:

Edited by rushfanforever!

:LOLsign:

There is a god!! About damn time they worked things out.....

Hell, I'm still feeling it from last night's Packers game.....some more down the hatch!! Thank God I have off tomorrow! :cheers:

GO PACK GO! DESTROY THE WHINERS!!!

We start January 19th... :popcorn:

Could be the 15th, according to LeBrun's twitter.

I heard we'll have 14 games on the 19th to start but if it's on the 15th I won't complain. :drool:

The schedule on ESPN shows games cancelled through the 14th, with games on the 15th.

Looks like the CBA is going to be voted on by the board of governors, then handed out to the player to be voted on, on either friday or saturday, once ratified, training camp can start, and the the season! Looking like the 19th will be that date. :ebert:

Apparently Cam Barker is getting a tryout with the Canucks at training camp. Is it too late to restart the lockout?

(so is this gonna be the thread for the truncated season?)

A lot of people in Chicago was sorry to see Barker go, including me. He may not have been a top defenseman on the Hawks but he always looked comfortable with the puck. As far as the thread goes, I vote - Y :hockeygoon: E :hockeygoon: S