10 Most Epic Tracks of the 60's

rushgoober

Ok, this isn't a place merely to list your favorite tracks of the decade (though it can contain them), but to list your favorite EPIC tracks of the decade.

In terms of defining "epic," I'll go with standard dictionary definitions like "surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size" or "heroic and impressive in quality."

It could be less or more than 10 tracks, even. List and/or discuss other people's lists!

1. Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive

2. The Moody Blues - Knights in White Satin

3. The Beatles - A Day in the Life

4. Grateful Dead - That's It For The Other One

5. Love - You Set The Scene

6. King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King

7. 13th Floor Elevators - Slip Inside This House

8. The Beatles - Revolution 9

9. Creedence Clearwater Revival - I Heard it Through the Grapevine

10. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)

11. Kak - Trieulogy

12. The Mothers of Invention - Return of the Son of Monster Magnet

13. The Chambers Brothers - The Time Has Come Today

• Like 1

I knew my 70's thread would get more takers than this one, but anyone? Thoughts, comments, songs you think are worthy?

A couple worthy songs I considered:

The Doors - L.A. Woman

The Doors - Riders on the Storm

and now that I think about it, The End by them might be the most worthy!

• Like 1

I knew my 70's thread would get more takers than this one, but anyone? Thoughts, comments, songs you think are worthy?

The Doors - L.A. Woman

Both these songs were on the album "L.A. Woman" Goobs which was released in 1971 so not eligible for a 60s list. If you want to include an epic long piece released by this band in the 60s, "The End" off the first album, and even better IMO, "When The Music's Over" off their 2nd album "Strange Days" I think would qualify as epic to you. Also, check out the title track to "The Soft Parade". I love that song as well as "Shaman's Blues from that album. "The Soft Parade" may be long enough to qualify for the term 'epic' as well.

I love that you included "Time Has Come Today" on your list. The long version is truly an epic.

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1

The Velvet Underground - "Sister Ray"

The Beatles - "Tomorrow Never Knows"

Bob Dylan - "Desolation Row"

The Beach Boys - "Good Vibrations"

Crosby, Stills & Nash - "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"

James Brown - "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag"

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - "Down by the River"

The Beach Boys - "God Only Knows"

The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever"

Amon Duul - "Phallus Dei"

Bob Dylan - "Visions of Johanna"

The Velvet Underground - "Heroin"

King Crimson - "Epitaph"

The Doors - L.A. Woman

Both these songs were on the album "L.A. Woman" Goobs which was released in 1971 so not eligible for a 60s list. If you want to include an epic long piece released by this band in the 60s, "The End" off the first album, and even better IMO, "When The Music's Over" off their 2nd album "Strange Days" I think would qualify as epic to you. Also, check out the title track to "The Soft Parade". I love that song as well as "Shaman's Blues from that album. "The Soft Parade" may be long enough to qualify for the term 'epic' as well.

I love that you included "Time Has Come Today" on your list. The long version is truly an epic.

:doh:

I actually DO know those songs are from L.A. Woman, but my brain somehow has The Doors listed as a 60's band and didn't connect it. Thankfully, I only considered those songs and they didn't make my actual list! You're right, The End is the ultimate 60's epic by them, and When The Music's Over is also great. The Soft Parade isn't in the same category IMHO.

Glad to find another fan of Time Has Come Today - definitely an epic track. :haz:

• Like 1

The Velvet Underground - "Sister Ray"

The Beatles - "Tomorrow Never Knows"

Bob Dylan - "Desolation Row"

The Beach Boys - "Good Vibrations"

Crosby, Stills & Nash - "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"

James Brown - "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag"

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - "Down by the River"

The Beach Boys - "God Only Knows"

The Beatles - "Strawberry Fields Forever"

Amon Duul - "Phallus Dei"

Bob Dylan - "Visions of Johanna"

The Velvet Underground - "Heroin"

King Crimson - "Epitaph"

Some GREAT choices! :ebert:

I thought of Sister Ray, but while definitely a classic early "epic," it's a bit on the harsh side and I listen to it very rarely. Heroin is another worthy choice, though for me far more listenable.

I also considered Down by the River, as well as Cowgirl in the Sand. And the CSN song came REALLY close to making my list.

And REALLY nice call on Amon Duul II - if any Krautrock track from the 60's would be worthy, that's the one. I thought of it, but prefer their 2nd and 3rd albums more, and one of those tracks did make my 70's list.

:cheers:

• Like 1

Great call on 'Time has come today'.

Here are some of my epic 60's songs

1. Heart full of Soul by the Yardbirds. A heavy song for 1965.

2. Eight Miles High - the Byrds.

3 & 4. Dazed and Confused and How Many More times - both off the landmark debut Led Zeppelin album.

5. Legends of a Mind - the Moody Blues.

6. Journey to the Centre of Your Mind - the Amboy Dukes

7. 21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson

8. We're not going to take it/See me, Feel me - Last songs of Tommy by the Who

9. Born on the Bayou - CCR

10. Only the beginning - Chicago Transit Authority

• Like 2

Jefferson Airplane - Somebody to Love

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets

Cream - Crossroads

East of Eden - Centaur Woman

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man

Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid

Frank Zappa - The Gumbo Variations

Some of my favorites that I don't think have been mentioned yet :D

Signed,

Willie the Pimp :haz:

• Like 1

Great call on 'Time has come today'.

Here are some of my epic 60's songs

1. Heart full of Soul by the Yardbirds. A heavy song for 1965.

2. Eight Miles High - the Byrds.

3 & 4. Dazed and Confused and How Many More times - both off the landmark debut Led Zeppelin album.

5. Legends of a Mind - the Moody Blues.

6. Journey to the Centre of Your Mind - the Amboy Dukes

7. 21st Century Schizoid Man - King Crimson

8. We're not going to take it/See me, Feel me - Last songs of Tommy by the Who

9. Born on the Bayou - CCR

10. Only the beginning - Chicago Transit Authority

I'm glad I'm not the only one who absolutely loved "Journey To The Centre Of Your Mind." And "Only The Beginning" too - the album version, not the single.

• Like 2

Too bad that there aren't more old people here that remember what I guess should be called the "psychedelic era". There was a lot of good music during those few years. One that comes to my mind, and I can't remember who did it, is "The Wind." I eventually got the album in about 1984 from The House of Oldies on Bleecker Street in the Village. I wonder if it's still there?
  • Like 1

Too bad that there aren't more old people here that remember what I guess should be called the "psychedelic era". There was a lot of good music during those few years. One that comes to my mind, and I can't remember who did it, is "The Wind." I eventually got the album in about 1984 from The House of Oldies on Bleecker Street in the Village. I wonder if it's still there?

I guess to me the psychedelic era was late 60s to mid 70s or so. Psychedelic kind of went into prog with groups like Emerson Lake and Palmer or jazz like Weather Report.

Too bad that there aren't more old people here that remember what I guess should be called the "psychedelic era". There was a lot of good music during those few years.

I'm old... late 60s was a great era because the 'boundaries' kept expanding, and it was groundbreaking. How's about White Rabbit and Somebody to Love? Incense and Peppermints? Disraeli Gears was heavy. Purple Haze. It was one of my favorite periods of music and I was able to live through it.

You are right about the album version of 'Only the Beginning', not the chopped up version released as a single.(what a mess)

• Like 1

Too bad that there aren't more old people here that remember what I guess should be called the "psychedelic era". There was a lot of good music during those few years.

I'm old... late 60s was a great era because the 'boundaries' kept expanding, and it was groundbreaking. How's about White Rabbit and Somebody to Love? Incense and Peppermints? Disraeli Gears was heavy. Purple Haze. It was one of my favorite periods of music and I was able to live through it.

You are right about the album version of 'Only the Beginning', not the chopped up version released as a single.(what a mess)

We must be around the same age. Incense and Peppermints was another favorite of mine. And I loved The Cream. Disraeli Gears is my favorite album, but I love the song they did "Passing The Time." It was such a pretty song for Cream to do.

Good topic, and some great choices. I found this thread doing a search to see what, if anything, the forum has on Cream.

I was just thinking, as I was reading the first few post, how can you have a list of epic songs from the 60s, and not have one song from Cream? White Room? Tales of Brave Ulysses? :wtf:
  • Like 1

take that flower power shit outta here

...Funny, I was gonna mention Parchment Farm by Blue Cheer. Bonus for 2000 Light Years From Home getting mentioned. Monster Magnet did an excellent cover a few years back. Check it out. I agree with you Goobs on the King Crimson and Hendrix picks.

Let me add a few...

Beck's Bolero

Fire- Crazy World of Arthur Brown... hell, listen to the whole side. The Fire Suite. :fury:

The Narrow Way-pt. 1, 2, & 3- Pink Floyd

Writing Wrongs- the Monkees

Iron Butterfly Theme

How Many More Times- Zed Lepplin

Dreams- Allman Brothers

Tales of Brave Ulysses

Yes!!

Maybe not considered an epic song, but certainly one of my favorite Cream tunes. More fun to listen to than Pressed Rat and Warthog, that's for sure.

That reminds me- somebody should start a 'deep tracks' thread of some kind. Great songs by either better or lesser known artists, you know...

I would start such a thread, but...it's time for work.