Honest Reviews Needed, Please

The Notorious B.S.G.

I know as a Rush fanatic, I MUST eventually acquire Geddy and Alex's solo albums. So, I'm not just looking for reviews to help me decide IF I should get them, but rather how soon.

So, what does anyone here think? How would you compare each of these CD's to various Rush stylings? If you've had these for awhile, do you still listen to them often? (A good test of durability, obviously.)

QUOTE (BSG @ Sep 27 2004, 10:45 AM)
I know as a Rush fanatic, I MUST eventually acquire Geddy and Alex's solo albums. So, I'm not just looking for reviews to help me decide IF I should get them, but rather how soon.

So, what does anyone here think? How would you compare each of these CD's to various Rush stylings? If you've had these for awhile, do you still listen to them often? (A good test of durability, obviously.)

I think Geddy's album is great. Love it. However, IMO Victor is garbage.

I agree 'MFH' is good and I still listen to it, but 'Victor'.....well, I frankly expected better from Alex.

I thought Victor was good... But I have different tastes in music than most people, some songs I wasnt as impressed with, but I liked it all the same, if I had the cd, I would be listening to it contsantly!!!! (ahem, 1001... laugh.gif )

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Sep 27 2004, 11:35 AM)
I thought Victor was good... But I have different tastes in music than most people, some songs I wasnt as impressed with, but I liked it all the same, if I had the cd, I would be listening to it contsantly!!!! (ahem, 1001... laugh.gif )

You can have mine.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 27 2004, 01:48 PM)
I think Geddy's My Favorite Headache was Rushlike and was excellent.

I was not much of a fan of the Victor album, but I never gave it much chanec to be fair.

Are we all brain-washed because he's the lead ?

Victor sound isn't all that bad (once you play it over again).

Just a thought

I've seen Geddy's album described as the best Rush album of the '90s!!. The fact is his bass playing and vocals are so distinctive that similarities to Rush are inevitable.

Alex's is a lot less like Rush. He's got guest vocalists and musicians on each track, and the album doesn't gel at all. It's a bit like the girl with the curl, when it is good it is very very good and when it is bad it is horrid!!.

I'd never play Victor all the way through, but a few tracks feature prominently on compilations, and while it's not an all time favourite, I've never regretted buying it.

M.F.H. on the other hand is like a Rush album with pedestrian drumming and guitar playing. I'd say get it, if only for Grace to Grace which is superb.

As an Alex fan, I must say I was disappointed in Victor. It just never "grabbed" me. Even after repeated listens, which usually ends up with the disc in question "growing" on me, this one didn't. I listened to it repeatedly for about a month after it came out, trying to like it. It never happened.

As far as MFH, I was very pleasantly surprised. It does have a Rush "feel" to it, yet is somewhat distinctive in it's own right. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and still pop it in from time to time. Can't say I do that with Victor.

Victor has some good stuff on it, but MFH is my fave of the two as well...and, I suspect, the main reason is just what others have said. It sounds like Rush. I, however, thought the drumming on Ged's album was pretty good...Matt Cameron from Soundgarden did the drumming on all but one track, I think.

I love Geddys solo work. "Window to the world" is one of my favorite songs. "working at perfekt" is almost as good as that one. "slipping" is a great song and so is "grace to grace". "The angels share" is even a good tune, Man...I love this CD!!!! i'M GOING TO LISTEN TO IT NOW. This is a must own CD in my book. I hate to say it but I like this CD better than a couple rush CD's but I wont name them. This CD brings back a lot of memories because it was in my CD player when we took a trip to Canada to go on a fishing trip and I accidently left my CD's at home so everytime I hear it I think of that trip.

As far as victor......I downloaded a couple songs to see if it was worth buying and, well, I never did buy the CD. wink.gif Sorry Alex.

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Sep 27 2004, 08:57 PM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 27 2004, 06:55 PM)
You just inspired me to pop in My Favorite Headache  biggrin.gif  trink38.gif

I was inspired to take a dump on Victor.

Sending out a warning......... 1022.gif

Geddy's Album is AMAZING!!!! I love it! The drummer on that Album....Matt Cameron is super awesome.....sometimes I think he acted like Neil for sure.....I have not yet listened to Victor.....But Do buy Geddy's Cd you will like it!!! trink36.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 27 2004, 04:33 PM)
I love Geddys solo work. "Window to the world" is one of my favorite songs. "working at perfekt" is almost as good as that one. "slipping" is a great song and so is "grace to grace". "The angels share" is even a good tune, Man...I love this CD!!!! i'M GOING TO LISTEN TO IT NOW. This is a must own CD in my book. I hate to say it but I like this CD better than a couple rush CD's but I wont name them. This CD brings back a lot of memories because it was in my CD player when we took a trip to Canada to go on a fishing trip and I accidently left my CD's at home so everytime I hear it I think of that trip.

As far as victor......I downloaded a couple songs to see if it was worth buying and, well, I never did buy the CD. wink.gif Sorry Alex.

Yea I would have to agree that I listen to this Cd alot......sometimes more than Rush....and yea it is better than some albums of Rush..... trink36.gif

For MFH, there are some definate gems on the album. Personally though to me, it sounds like an unfinished peice, it sounds like there are a lot of songs that if.... let say Neil and Alex had their creative input on, they would be INCREDIBLE Rush songs. Namely Runaway Train and Grace To Grace. Dont get me wrong though, it is definatly worth the buy. It would probably be a good idea to buy it sooner rather then later, as I havent seen a copy of MFH in nearly a year now at the stores (snagged that last one I saw).

As for Victor, I still have never seen a copy of it surface anywhere. I will just keep looking and if I find one, I will purchase it regardless of quality.

Archived