Red Barchetta on AL-355 Restoration

Hi everyone....

Been a while since I last posted. I've been up to my eyeballs in guitar work. I thought I'd share my latest job the just went out the door yesterday. It was a restoration of a Gibson Custom Shop AL 355. Warped neck, broken truss rod, hole in the back of the peghead, finish problems...a real mess. So as soon as I was done all the work I christened the newly made-over guitar by playing one of my favorites on it. Red Barchetta.

Hope you like it!

Now I can get busy with the Hentor replicas! :coy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNh2E0ZTf_g

• Like 3

Ooh, I like the rubber tube trick!

Yeah, you can't imagine how much of a P.I.T.A it can be to wire a 355. The modern ones aren't as bad as the vintage ones...they had the big components hanging off the varitone switch...just trying to get the thing into the body can be frustrating as all get out!

Awesome work Freddy, on both the playing and the guitar!!! Was the warped neck due to Gibson's idiotic placement of the volute?? LOL.

I'm starting a Sportscaster project, as well. I have a question if you or anybody else can answer. From what I've heard, the Bill Lawrence USA pickups don;t have the same tonal sound as the 'old' Bill Lawrence pickups. Are these pickups in the link (Bill Lawrence) NOT the Lawrence USA pickups? I was going to use one of these 500XL pickups in the bridge.

Also, any idea where I can acquire a 'Hentor Sportscaster' waterslide for the headstock?

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html

Beautiful work....With the guitar and on the guitar.

Thank you very kindly!

A kick ass rebuild. Kick ass song.

Never new a video of a guy fixing a guitar could be so damn awesome.

Thanks, I try to make my lutherie videos interesting, I appreciate your compliment!

Great rendition of RB and awesome work on the 355!!!

Any idea how it got so f'ed up?

Thanks! It was left in the trunk of a car on a hot day in Brazil. The neck warped badly. Then the owner tried to get the warp out by tightening the truss rod but it was too much. The rod snapped. Then they tried to use the "truss rod rescue kit" from Stew Mac to repair the rod but the tool dug a hole right through the other side of the peghead. That's when the guitar got sent to me.

Awesome work Freddy, on both the playing and the guitar!!! Was the warped neck due to Gibson's idiotic placement of the volute?? LOL.

I'm starting a Sportscaster project, as well. I have a question if you or anybody else can answer. From what I've heard, the Bill Lawrence USA pickups don;t have the same tonal sound as the 'old' Bill Lawrence pickups. Are these pickups in the link (Bill Lawrence) NOT the Lawrence USA pickups? I was going to use one of these 500XL pickups in the bridge.

Also, any idea where I can acquire a 'Hentor Sportscaster' waterslide for the headstock?

http://wildepickups....win_Blades.html

Yes that's the real Bill Lawrence. The one Alex has is the L500L.

Great video! And I can't wait to see the hentor videos.

Thanks,

There will be some cool Hentor stuff coming soon...

Great playing. It great to see you get in the "pocket" during the song, if ya know what I mean,.... I got goosebumps the same just like I do while playing Red Barchetta.