Star Trek: Into Darkness

USB Connector

I was really hoping for Gary Mitchell, I think it would have made a fantastic storyline in this iteration. I'm a little dubious about the Khan story. How do you top Ricardo Montalban (and his rich Corinthian leather)? One of the coolest aspects (imo) of Khan in TOS and the movie was the tie in - a villain from TOS back and looking for vengeance. They can't do that here. Another wormhole/timeline crossover? Doubtful.

Mitchell makes more sense to me with a built-in catch phrase to boot (I'm a god, Jim. Pray to me.)

I was dubious about the reboot, but loved it. I'm optimistic about the sequel and I'm looking forward to the new movie.

I was really hoping for Gary Mitchell, I think it would have made a fantastic storyline in this iteration. I'm a little dubious about the Khan story. How do you top Ricardo Montalban (and his rich Corinthian leather)? One of the coolest aspects (imo) of Khan in TOS and the movie was the tie in - a villain from TOS back and looking for vengeance. They can't do that here. Another wormhole/timeline crossover? Doubtful.

Mitchell makes more sense to me with a built-in catch phrase to boot (I'm a god, Jim. Pray to me.)

I was dubious about the reboot, but loved it. I'm optimistic about the sequel and I'm looking forward to the new movie.

It's not Khan!

Simon Pegg Swears Khan Is Not The Villain In Star Trek 2

It's the rumor that simply won't die. As much as J.J. Abrams has sworn up and down that the villain in his Star Trek sequel is not Khan-- back when Benicio del Toro was pegged for the central villain role, and again when Benedict Cumberbatch was cast instead-- the Internet has been insistent on believing that Captain Kirk and company will be facing off against Khan Noonien Singh. Khan, if you're not up to date on the plot of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, first appeared in the original TV series episode "Space Seed," and as played by Ricardo Montalban in Wrath of Khan was an intelligent, vicious bad guy who brought the Starship Enterprise to the brink of ruin. He's one of the most charismatic and deadly villains the Star Trek universe has ever produced, and you can understand why fans keep hoping for his return.

It was just last month that a rumor surfaced yet again about Cumberbatch playing Khan, but if you ask Simon Pegg-- who plays Scotty, of course-- people who believe that rumor are still barking up the wrong tree. Talking to The Telegraph in the UK, Pegg praised Cumberbatch's performance in the vaguest of terms, as being "not just another disgruntled alien," but he got very specific when asked if Cumberbatch was playing Khan:

It’s not Khan. That’s a myth. Everyone’s saying it is, but it’s not. I think people just want to have a scoop. It annoys me – it’s beyond the point to just ferret around for spoilers all the time to try to be the first to break them."

Ouch! Those are strong words from a self-professed fanboy like Pegg, but you can also get how he's gotten annoyed-- and how J.J. Abrams' love of secrets has probably rubbed off on him. Die-hard believers in the Khan rumor will probably take Pegg's denial as another part of the Abrams secrecy machine, but I'm inclined to believe him, if only because I want as many secrets as possible intact when I finally see Star Trek 2-- or whatever they wind up calling it-- on May 17 next year.

It's not Khan!

It's the rumor that simply won't die. As much as J.J. Abrams has sworn up and down that the villain in his Star Trek sequel is not Khan-- back when Benicio del Toro was pegged for the central villain role, and again when Benedict Cumberbatch was cast instead-- the Internet has been insistent on believing that Captain Kirk and company will be facing off against Khan Noonien Singh. Khan, if you're not up to date on the plot of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, first appeared in the original TV series episode "Space Seed," and as played by Ricardo Montalban in Wrath of Khan was an intelligent, vicious bad guy who brought the Starship Enterprise to the brink of ruin. He's one of the most charismatic and deadly villains the Star Trek universe has ever produced, and you can understand why fans keep hoping for his return.

It was just last month that a rumor surfaced yet again about Cumberbatch playing Khan, but if you ask Simon Pegg-- who plays Scotty, of course-- people who believe that rumor are still barking up the wrong tree. Talking to The Telegraph in the UK, Pegg praised Cumberbatch's performance in the vaguest of terms, as being "not just another disgruntled alien," but he got very specific when asked if Cumberbatch was playing Khan:

It’s not Khan. That’s a myth. Everyone’s saying it is, but it’s not. I think people just want to have a scoop. It annoys me – it’s beyond the point to just ferret around for spoilers all the time to try to be the first to break them."

Ouch! Those are strong words from a self-professed fanboy like Pegg, but you can also get how he's gotten annoyed-- and how J.J. Abrams' love of secrets has probably rubbed off on him. Die-hard believers in the Khan rumor will probably take Pegg's denial as another part of the Abrams secrecy machine, but I'm inclined to believe him, if only because I want as many secrets as possible intact when I finally see Star Trek 2-- or whatever they wind up calling it-- on May 17 next year.

Looking at Cumberbatch, I think the villain will be Thomas Dolby.

It's not Khan!

He looks to me like Dennis Quaid's under-fed clone that was kept in the attic out of the sunlight.

It's not Khan!

He looks to me like Dennis Quaid's under-fed clone that was kept in the attic out of the sunlight.

Arne Darvin, then.

It's not Khan!

Arne Darvin, then.

He wasn't in star fleet and he's not from earth...neither was Khan for that matter...

It's not Khan!

I'm all with you on keeping the secrets intact. Unfortunately some guy read the synopsis out loud where I was having lunch the day I posted this. I didn't realize it was trek until he reiterated it at the end for his friend. You may be right about Khan and I really hope that Abrams takes it in a direction that Star Trek hasn't gone before. I mean, that was the whole point of having the alternate timeline wasn't it?

I mean, that was the whole point of having the alternate timeline wasn't it?

You're damned straight! :sundog:

A zillion people have done nothing but chain themselves to the old TV series/films, so naturally, they expect the new films to regurgitate the same stories. It's utter silliness. The new films can go ANYWHERE.....where no Trek film has gone before. Personally, I would be extremely disappointed if they have another Wrath of Khan film. It would tell me that they're just going after revenue and/or they can't come up with new stories.

It's not Khan!

I'm all with you on keeping the secrets intact. Unfortunately some guy read the synopsis out loud where I was having lunch the day I posted this. I didn't realize it was trek until he reiterated it at the end for his friend. You may be right about Khan and I really hope that Abrams takes it in a direction that Star Trek hasn't gone before. I mean, that was the whole point of having the alternate timeline wasn't it?

I hope you are right, duck, I hope you're right.

And that stinks someone would drop a spoiler like that out loud, USB. I think your course is the most sensible one. So much of the canon was reset in the first movie with the basic characters left intact, the possibilities are endless and they can take the story in any direction they choose. I think it is much better in Abrams' hands than Berman's.

Pragmatically, I thought the whole idea of the timeline reset was so they could re-tell the time tested stories again to a new generation in a new context ($, of course) but not completely destroy 40+ years of fan loyalty (nice try, Enterprise). I thought the movie handled it brilliantly. Certainly, a much better direction than the abomination that was Nemesis. Its the same as remaking any movie and its been happening in Hollywood for decades. Nothing new under the sun.

I'm wondering how they are going to work The Naked Time/The Naked Now reference in. :unsure: You know its coming.

It's not Khan!

And that stinks someone would drop a spoiler like that out loud, USB. I think your course is the most sensible one. So much of the canon was reset in the first movie with the basic characters left intact, the possibilities are endless and they can take the story in any direction they choose. I think it is much better in Abrams' hands than Berman's.

Pragmatically, I thought the whole idea of the timeline reset was so they could re-tell the time tested stories again to a new generation in a new context ($, of course) but not completely destroy 40+ years of fan loyalty (nice try, Enterprise). I thought the movie handled it brilliantly. Certainly, a much better direction than the abomination that was Nemesis. Its the same as remaking any movie and its been happening in Hollywood for decades. Nothing new under the sun.

I'm wondering how they are going to work The Naked Time/The Naked Now reference in. :unsure: You know its coming.

This is why I'm thinking Khan is coming. If not Khan then it's going to be a huge retelling of a bunch of things. The movie industry, especially paramount, seeks original content for the sole purpose of establishing or re-establishing a franchise. Once that has been done they normally revert to the standby and go for time tested stories. I know Abrams WANTS to take it in a totally different direction but he doesn't have a say if paramount looks at the script and say "No. Give us Khan, it will bring in more money."

As for enterprise, I actually enjoyed it. It was a whole lot better than the lifeless, canon destroying Voyager. Sure, it took two seasons to find it's footing but you could tell it was building up momentum when it was cancelled (forget that TNG episode that ended the series).

It's not Khan!

This is why I'm thinking Khan is coming. If not Khan then it's going to be a huge retelling of a bunch of things. The movie industry, especially paramount, seeks original content for the sole purpose of establishing or re-establishing a franchise. Once that has been done they normally revert to the standby and go for time tested stories. I know Abrams WANTS to take it in a totally different direction but he doesn't have a say if paramount looks at the script and say "No. Give us Khan, it will bring in more money."

As for enterprise, I actually enjoyed it. It was a whole lot better than the lifeless, canon destroying Voyager. Sure, it took two seasons to find it's footing but you could tell it was building up momentum when it was cancelled (forget that TNG episode that ended the series).

Khan was never a member of Star Fleet, Cucumberpatch is not right for the part of Khan, the Wrath of Khan was already set-up by the Space Seed TV episode, it would make the film too long to do the whole story in one.

It's not Khan!

Khan was never a member of Star Fleet, Cucumberpatch is not right for the part of Khan, the Wrath of Khan was already set-up by the Space Seed TV episode, it would make the film too long to do the whole story in one.

It doesn't have to be the same story. Don't forget the timeline was initially changed when Kirk was born and I'm pretty sure most people get it. I think Abrams is going to play on that to change some canonical events that weren't played on in the movie that took place before kirk got command of the Enterprise.

To the point, there are a bunch of Khan scenarios that can be played on:

• Khan's pod is found by a ship and taken aboard, Khan and his crew take it over, learn of the Federation and go on to plot to take it over by starting with luring the flagship into a trap to hikack it. The movie could end with a cliffhanger with the genesis device.

• Khan's ship is hit by an asteroid, causing it to crash into a planet where he wakes up. He learns of the federation from the Klingons and uses/manipulates them to leading an assault against the federation.

• Same or similar, but throw in the neutral zone and Romulans

• Now that I'm on a role: the planet he crashes into is that of the Squire of Gothos, who is revealed to be a Q isolated from the continuum. This could branch off in a bunch of plots that I don't have time to type out. Personally, if I were trying to make a cash grab I would do this and make it so that the Squire is completely appalled by the idea that Khan was designed to be the "best" human being possible. Enterprise comes to investigate some side effect/anomaly caused by the Squire being disgusted/pissed with Khan. They figure out what's going on, arguments, shenanagians. The Squire has enough and sends them to the delta quadrant. Borg (with queen for maximum cheese, appeal to lowest common denominator and damage to canon).

The story doesn't need to be exactly the same. People get the alternate timeline. If enough events are similar it will be enough or have a bunch of similarities and nods to other Trek lore for the cash cow to be milked and long time fans just on the border of being annoyed that they'll still see the next one out of hope that it will be better. As much as I WANT Abrams to outdo himself, I fear we've set the bar too high and Paramount is one of the greediest POS companies in existence.

EDIT: grammar

Edited by USB Connector

It's not Khan!

It doesn't have to be the same story. Don't forget the timeline was initially changed when Kirk was born and I'm pretty sure most people get it. I think Abrams is going to play on that to change some canonical events that weren't played on in the movie that took place before kirk got command of the Enterprise.

To the point, there are a bunch of Khan scenarios that can be played on:

• Khan's pod is found by a ship and taken aboard, Khan and his crew take it over, learn of the Federation and go on to plot to take it over by starting with luring the flagship into a trap to hikack it. The movie could end with a cliffhanger with the genesis device.

• Khan's ship is hit by an asteroid, causing it to crash into a planet where he wakes up. He learns of the federation from the Klingons and uses/manipulates them to leading an assault against the federation.

• Same or similar, but throw in the neutral zone and Romulans

• Now that I'm on a role: the planet he crashes into is that of the Squire of Gothos, who is revealed to be a Q isolated from the continuum. This could branch off in a bunch of plots that I don't have time to type out. Personally, if I were trying to make a cash grab I would do this and make it so that the Squire is completely appalled by the idea that Khan was designed to be the "best" human being possible. Enterprise comes to investigate some side effect/anomaly caused by the Squire being disgusted/pissed with Khan. They figure out what's going on, arguments, shenanagians. The Squire has enough and sends them to the delta quadrant. Borg (with queen for maximum cheese, appeal to lowest common denominator and damage to canon).

The story doesn't need to be exactly the same. People get the alternate timeline. If enough events are similar it will be enough or have a bunch of similarities and nods to other Trek lore for the cash cow to be milked and long time fans just on the border of being annoyed that they'll still see the next one out of hope that it will be better. As much as I WANT Abrams to outdo himself, I fear we've set the bar too high and Paramount is one of the greediest POS companies in existence.

EDIT: grammar

Khan is not a "one-man weapon of mass destruction" he's just slightly enhanced, a little stronger and a little smarter, though that latter is questionable based on what happened with him. It doesn't look like Khan (Cucumber in a star fleet uniform) and it doesn't sound like Khan...

http://i.imgur.com/ietKT.jpg

:D Nice! I'm a god, Jim. Pray to me. Now *that's* a weapon of mass destruction. Khan was just an enhanced human who thought in two dimensions and put bugs in people's ears (people he thought he knew when in reality he didn't). Gary Mitchell is head and shoulders above Khan as a class of opponent.

I still cling to hope.