Star Trek: Into Darkness

USB Connector

2013 is on the horizon and with it new details emerge regarding the new Star Trek film. The movie is slated to be released May 17th,

Official Synopsis:

When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis. With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction. As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

Benedict Cumberbatch will be playing the villain (so...Khan is basically confirmed that this point).

I think Abrams might be aiming too high with this one. Not only does he have to live up to the success of the last film but it seems he's going the Khan route too so he'll be going up against the two most successful Trek movies simultaneously. Who knows? Discuss all things related to the movie.

Here's hoping for Klingons. I hope they show both TOS and TNG Klingons. Of course they'll have to go over the canon explanation Enterprise gave, but I think it would be cool if they ran with it.

Thoughts?

What is the official explanation of Klingons' change of appearance, besides the difference between 1966 and 1979?

The Klingons without the ridges were the result of a genetic experiment. They were created as a response to the aftermath of earth's genetic wars, which Khan featured in...

What is the official explanation of Klingons' change of appearance, besides the difference between 1966 and 1979?

The Klingons without the ridges were the result of a genetic experiment. They were created as a response to the aftermath of earth's genetic wars, which Khan featured in...

But Klingons still had the old look after the "Space Seed" episode...

I've heard the enemy will be Gary Mitchell... in fact I think Karl Urban accidentally leaked that fact.

At least I hope that's true... Khan's story has been told- very well, too.

If Urban wasn't McCoy, he would've made a great Mitchell. He looks almost exactly like Lockwood.

That was hundreds of years after the eugenics war, Khan had been in suspended animation and was found floating in space. The eugenics war happened in the 22nd century and this storyline is explored in a double episode of Enterprise featuring Brent Spiner as Arik Soong a relative of the creator of Data. The Klingons in the original Star Trek are supposed to be the desendents of the Genetically altered Klingons which were called augments (even though three of them feature in Deep Space Nine as "proper" klingons with face ridges, teeth etc, as played by William Campbell, John Colicos and Michael Ansara).

That was hundreds of years after the eugenics war, Khan had been in suspended animation and was found floating in space. The eugenics war happened in the 22nd century and this storyline is explored in a double episode of Enterprise featuring Brent Spiner as Arik Soong a relative of the creator of Data. The Klingons in the original Star Trek are supposed to be the desendents of the Genetically altered Klingons which were called augments (even though three of them feature in Deep Space Nine as "proper" klingons with face ridges, teeth etc, as played by William Campbell, John Colicos and Michael Ansara).

Sorry, I'm not up on the "Enterprise" series. Maybe it's all explained in the episode you mentioned. But it still seems strange to me that the "old" Klingons would be around, while Kirk is in his 30s and change with Shatner at 48. :eh:

Sorry, I'm not up on the "Enterprise" series. Maybe it's all explained in the episode you mentioned. But it still seems strange to me that the "old" Klingons would be around, while Kirk is in his 30s and change with Shatner at 48. :eh:

The real truth is when they came to make Star Trek The Motion Picture, someone decided that the klingons needed to be jazzed up for the big screen to make them more formidable-looking (even though they only make a brief appearance), so they came up with this new look, the explanations came later. The new look continued in the films that followed and that was how they were depicted in The Next Generation and everything else.

Cumberbatch and Star Trek? I'm in nerdvana if that happens.

Edit: How about me make it a Star Trek/Sherlock corss over. If they can bring Abraham Lincoln to the Enterprise, they can do Sherlock.

And they can bring in Steven Moffat, who is a superior writer to Abrams... but I digress.

Edited by New World Kid

The real truth is when they came to make Star Trek The Motion Picture, someone decided that the klingons needed to be jazzed up for the big screen to make them more formidable-looking (even though they only make a brief appearance), so they came up with this new look, the explanations came later. The new look continued in the films that followed and that was how they were depicted in The Next Generation and everything else.

Yeah, it all confused the hell out of me right from the start when I went to the movie theater to see "The Motion Picture" in 1979. Thanks for the explanation, Ducky. :cheers:

I've heard the enemy will be Gary Mitchell... in fact I think Karl Urban accidentally leaked that fact.

It could well be him, if not him maybe Charlie Evans or maybe Trelane. Or maybe Mitchell and Trelane.

Yeah, it all confused the hell out of me right from the start when I went to the movie theater to see "The Motion Picture" in 1979. Thanks for the explanation, Ducky. :cheers:

No probs mate! :guitar:

Hey you should watch Enterprise, it's got a bad rep but I really enjoyed it. I've watched it twice now. The first 2 seasons are good but seasons 3 and 4 are brilliant, some of the best Trek ever! :cheers:

It could well be him, if not him maybe Charlie Evans or maybe Trelane. Or maybe Mitchell and Trelane.

Mitchell and Trelane? No more sequels after that. :16ton: :rose: :angel:

It could actually be Khan and Mitchell... :o

Wouldn't mind seeing that girl from "By Any Other Name" too. :drool:

She's 69 now!

She's 69 now!

Yeah, but Kelvans can make themselves look any way they want. :whipgirl:

She's 69 now!

Yeah, but Kelvans can make themselves look any way they want. :whipgirl:

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke: