Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:46 PM

Amped - Daniel H Wilson

Sponsored Post

#62 Rhyta

Rhyta

The Seeker

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi/fantasy shows and books, reading, hockey and Rush of course!

Posted 15 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

Getting ready to start The Sunset Lands S.M. Stirling (#4 in Emberverse series).  I also am looking at Foreigner by Cherryh, The Demolished Man A. Bester this year.

#63 barney_rebel

barney_rebel

The Camera Guy

• 26842 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

View Postrushgoober, on 15 May 2013 - 02:10 AM, said:

View Postwillowroolz, on 14 May 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

View Postrushgoober, on 15 November 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Ken Grimwood - Replay

Great call - Replay is one of my all-time favourites.

It's a dangerous book to have around.  Whenever I pass by it and decide to pick it up, you know, just to hold it or something, before I know it I'm on page 70...

Read that a couple months ago.  Loved it... one of my favorites of all time.

I often think of it and how it pertains to life in general.

#64 barney_rebel

barney_rebel

The Camera Guy

• 26842 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Posted Image

#65 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1817 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, hiking, making music, and of course Rush!

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

Ringworld Engineers - Larry Niven

#66 USB Connector

USB Connector

Trek for Echo

• Members *
  • 7939 posts
  • Interests:Exploring the final frontier as captain of the Galaxy Class Starship Rocinante (registry NCC-2112).

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Ready Player One. Finally finished my backlog of books and got around to it. My mind:

Posted Image

blown with every page.

#67 Rutlefan

Rutlefan

The Seeker

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Things that roll and fly, esp. Alfa Romeo (Always Looking For Another); Tolkien, classic sci-fi, history and such

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Was a huge sci-fi book guy growing up, like my fondness for Rush.

Got away from it in young adult years, like my fondness for Rush (though always really into smart sci-fi movies, of which there are not enough).

Like Rush, I've returned to sci-fi the last few years after reading SImmons' Hyperion books. Am currently re-reading the Giants series by James P. Hogan ("Inherit the Stars" and so on) and am reading more Allan Dean Foster after having gone through the Pip and Flinx books, which I really liked (the "Taken" trilogy as well). Foster, though very successful, seems to be an under-appreciated writer, IMO. I have a couple sci-fi encyclopedias which mention writers I've never heard of, yet don't mention Foster.

Going back further, my favorite sci-fi (incl fantasy and "speculative fiction") includes:

The Silmarillion by Tolkien (though I admit I like studying his writing -- or created mythological history -- more than reading it sometimes :eh:).
R is for Rocket by Bradbury. Grew up a HUGE Ray Bradbury fan. RIP
The Left Hand of Darkness by Le Guinn. She's got an insight and understanding into the human condition that I think most sci-fi writers lack (why I got away from the genre for many years).
Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut. Not really sci-fi of course, but I cannot not mention it. My favorite ending ever.
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Miller. If I could only have one fiction book, it would probably be this (edging out the Silmarillion).
Dune (of course). I've always avoided reading the follow-ups as I figured they'd erode how I imagined the continuing narrative should play out (that is, everyone lives happily ever after with political autonomy and plenty of water, instead of all that galactic jihad stuff).
The Skaith books by Leigh Bracket. Ursula K. LeGuin meets Edgar Rice Burroughs. Great stuff. The best, IMO, "planetary romance" author, along with Bradbury, but they each had a different flavor.

Going way back to when I was really young, I loved Burroughs, Verne, Wells, and H. Rider Haggard. I occasionally return to some of it, but they are not as magical as they were to my young self.

"Brave New World" was perhaps the most life-changing book I've ever read, though because of its philosophical weight, not really because of its story-telling or style. Cured me of the "technological utopianism" (that is, the belief that increasingly better technology will inevitably result in increasingly better neighbors) I grew up with as a result of reading futuristic sci-fi, a la H.G. Wells.

Edited by Rutlefan, 13 March 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#68 Lady April

Lady April

Lady of the Lake

• Members *
  • 9236 posts
  • Interests:Cosmic hopscotching, tripping over my own feet, 'foot in mouth' and other tactful exercises to no avail, my daughter is kick ass, all my pets are kick ass, British Comedy is kick ass, Sci-Fi is kick ass and of course Music duh.

Not of interest: Chodes!

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

HA!!! Well I am getting down with my Doctor Who comic novels. Just got done with Child of Time and in the midst of The Betrothal of Sontar.

#69 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1817 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:24 AM

View PostLady April, on 20 March 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

HA!!! Well I am getting down with my Doctor Who comic novels. Just got done with Child of Time and in the midst of The Betrothal of Sontar.

I've been reading the BBC America hardback Doctor Who books. Love them. They're very well done.

#70 Lady April

Lady April

Lady of the Lake

• Members *
  • 9236 posts
  • Interests:Cosmic hopscotching, tripping over my own feet, 'foot in mouth' and other tactful exercises to no avail, my daughter is kick ass, all my pets are kick ass, British Comedy is kick ass, Sci-Fi is kick ass and of course Music duh.

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostEagleMoon, on 21 March 2014 - 12:24 AM, said:

I've been reading the BBC America hardback Doctor Who books. Love them. They're very well done.

I bought two Matt Smith/Karen Gillen hard backs both Dalek stories. I can give more details when I get home from work.  I will read those right after Betrothal of Sontar.

#71 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1817 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostLady April, on 21 March 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

I bought two Matt Smith/Karen Gillen hard backs both Dalek stories. I can give more details when I get home from work.  I will read those right after Betrothal of Sontar.

I haven't read any of those yet. David Tennant was my favorite doctor so I'm going through those first. Read a few Martha books and have started on the Rose books too. Picked up the first ones I got at Half Price Books if you have one of those nearby you might want to check it out. They also have some Torchwood books as well. I haven't read those yet but they do have them.

#72 Lady April

Lady April

Lady of the Lake

• Members *
  • 9236 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostEagleMoon, on 21 March 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

I haven't read any of those yet. David Tennant was my favorite doctor so I'm going through those first. Read a few Martha books and have started on the Rose books too. Picked up the first ones I got at Half Price Books if you have one of those nearby you might want to check it out. They also have some Torchwood books as well. I haven't read those yet but they do have them.

Ok the two Matt/Karen books I have are The Only Good Dalek and The Dalek Project both are comic novels. Then I also have a chapter book with no pictures called The Wheel of Ice, no Doctor in particular is mentioned thus far in the book but I barely started. There are other books in line in front of this one that must be read first! ;)

#73 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 23523 posts
  • Interests:Doctor Who, Monty Python...

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostLady April, on 21 March 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

View PostEagleMoon, on 21 March 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Ok the two Matt/Karen books I have are The Only Good Dalek and The Dalek Project both are comic novels. Then I also have a chapter book with no pictures called The Wheel of Ice, no Doctor in particular is mentioned thus far in the book but I barely started. There are other books in line in front of this one that must be read first! ;)
I think The Wheel of Ice is a 2nd Doctor, Jamie and Zoe story (one of my favourite TARDIS crews).
Bookwise, I've got a whole load of the Target novelisations. I originally started getting them so I could read the missing TV stories from the 60's, but I enjoyed them so much I started getting more. Still a lot more to get, though.

#74 Lady April

Lady April

Lady of the Lake

• Members *
  • 9236 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

I adore Troughton! Love the Chaplin type hobo in space with his hippie recorder. Always seemingly aloof though more on the ball than an unsuspecting being might think and ready to kick some ass when necessary. #2 -I love him!!!

#75 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 23523 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostLady April, on 22 March 2014 - 11:47 AM, said:

I adore Troughton! Love the Chaplin type hobo in space with his hippie recorder. Always seemingly aloof though more on the ball than an unsuspecting being might think and ready to kick some ass when necessary. #2 -I love him!!!
Exactly. I've loved Troughton's Doctor ever since I saw The Mind Robber as a child.
It wasn't until I started collecting the DVDs that I realised so few of his stories still existed. That was upsetting. So I read the Target novelisations and listened to the existing soundtracks. I was so overjoyed when the news came out last year about the rediscovered episodes.

#76 Lady April

Lady April

Lady of the Lake

• Members *
  • 9236 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

View PostYour_Lion, on 22 March 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

Exactly. I've loved Troughton's Doctor ever since I saw The Mind Robber as a child.
It wasn't until I started collecting the DVDs that I realised so few of his stories still existed. That was upsetting. So I read the Target novelisations and listened to the existing soundtracks. I was so overjoyed when the news came out last year about the rediscovered episodes.
I heard Steven Moffett talking about that at one time, the lost episodes but remember very little. what that about ?

#77 Lady April

Lady April

Lady of the Lake

• Members *
  • 9236 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

View PostLady April, on 22 March 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

I heard Steven Moffett talking about that at one time, the lost episodes but remember very little. what that about ?

Ok ok I gotcha now! I am at Barnes and Noble and I have the Doctor Who magazine winter 2013/14 special edition #36 titled The Missing Episodes with Patrick Troughton on the cover! Now for some details!

#78 Your_Lion

Your_Lion

Professor Gumby

• Members
  • 23523 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

View PostLady April, on 22 March 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Ok ok I gotcha now! I am at Barnes and Noble and I have the Doctor Who magazine winter 2013/14 special edition #36 titled The Missing Episodes with Patrick Troughton on the cover! Now for some details!
Yeah, for various reasons, there was a stupid policy in the BBC during the 60's and 70's to junk TV shows once they'd been shown (storage space, cost of film, and -believe it or not- the actors union (they were afraid that if you could repeat shows, they'd lose work, because there'd be no need to make new ones)...and also once colour TV became the norm, no one thought anyone would want to watch an episode of Black and white telly again)

Luckily, the episode were distributed around the world to be broadcast in other countries, again, with instructions to destroy them, or send them back to BBC to be destroyed.
It's just pure luck that any 60's Doctor Who survives at all. Lost episodes have been found all over the place. In the 90's, Tomb of the Cybermen was found in Hong Kong. These most recent episodes were discovered in Africa.
People are still out searching for more.

I posted a list in the Doctor Who thread of all 97 episodes still missing.

#79 Lady April

Lady April

Lady of the Lake

• Members *
  • 9236 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

View PostYour_Lion, on 23 March 2014 - 05:59 AM, said:

View PostLady April, on 22 March 2014 - 11:34 PM, said:

Yeah I remember Terry Gilliam was talking about that at one point some years ago regarding Monty Python episodes that were found post American syndication and were very nearly destroyed. Terry Jones mentioned also that the first season or some shit someone had in a closet lol and gave a crap so it was saved from the Beeb also. So I believe there are missing Doctor who episodes. But just knowing how many exist already I cant believe there are so frikkin many  
Yeah, for various reasons, there was a stupid policy in the BBC during the 60's and 70's to junk TV shows once they'd been shown (storage space, cost of film, and -believe it or not- the actors union (they were afraid that if you could repeat shows, they'd lose work, because there'd be no need to make new ones)...and also once colour TV became the norm, no one thought anyone would want to watch an episode of Black and white telly again)

Luckily, the episode were distributed around the world to be broadcast in other countries, again, with instructions to destroy them, or send them back to BBC to be destroyed.
It's just pure luck that any 60's Doctor Who survives at all. Lost episodes have been found all over the place. In the 90's, Tomb of the Cybermen was found in Hong Kong. These most recent episodes were discovered in Africa.
People are still out searching for more.

I posted a list in the Doctor Who thread of all 97 episodes still missing.

#80 Lady April

Lady April

Lady of the Lake

• Members *
  • 9236 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:45 AM

Check out that last post ▲▲▲ about Gilliam and Jones. It posted out of order..... spookeh....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users