The Moody Blues

waluigithewalrus

This topic has me pulling up some Moodies this evening that I haven't spun in awhile. Gotta love Tuesday Afternoon and Story in Your Eyes. Dang good those two. And of course, Nights in White Satin.
  • Like 1

Woot! Got some.damn nice.seats fir the Milwaukee show

Satch, you going to see them? Or are you referring to a show you saw them at years ago?

going to see them in early November. I saw them three years ago in Milwaukee and they were amazing. Lodge and Hayward were unreal. Edge has a hard time playing, so they have a second drummer. They also has two amazing women playing with them on keyboards, strings and horn. I somehow missed them in the early 80s and I know it's not the same without the original band, but they were flawless and unlike the Who and Stones, still put out music you could swear was on vinyl.
  • Like 1

Satch, you going to see them? Or are you referring to a show you saw them at years ago?

going to see them in early November. I saw them three years ago in Milwaukee and they were amazing. Lodge and Hayward were unreal. Edge has a hard time playing, so they have a second drummer. They also has two amazing women playing with them on keyboards, strings and horn. I somehow missed them in the early 80s and I know it's not the same without the original band, but they were flawless and unlike the Who and Stones, still put out music you could swear was on vinyl.

Please let me know how the show goes. November will be here quicker than we think! Time is going by faster than ever it seems.

John looks wonderful for his age. He's got some head of hair!

Justin's voice is still good but, like all singers, it seems to have lost a bit of power, but he still can bellow out those songs.

I agree they still put on a good show. I've seen videos of them. The last time I saw them in concert was 1988. Maybe they'll come back out here. They were here two years ago, but I didn't go.

Please let me know how the show goes. November will be here quicker than we think! Time is going by faster than ever it seems.

John looks wonderful for his age. He's got some head of hair!

Justin's voice is still good but, like all singers, it seems to have lost a bit of power, but he still can bellow out those songs.

I agree they still put on a good show. I've seen videos of them. The last time I saw them in concert was 1988. Maybe they'll come back out here. They were here two years ago, but I didn't go.

John has this whole John Pertwee thing going on, and he still puts it all out there. Justin's voice is a bit flat compared to the past, but it's still amazing and solid, considering he's 66. I took my ex-wife to the show when I was 46 and she was 36. She was by far the youngest person there and I was a close.second. lots of canes, walkers and white hair, but people really got into the show. You can check their website for tour information. I made a point of seeing them and David Gilmour this year. David is 70 and these guys are almost there and some older. It's getting to that point where it may be your last chance to see them.

Having seen the Who in 82 or 83 and the Stones sometime later, I have no.desire to see them embarrass themselves at the expense of my paycheck. They are both terrible caricatures of their once amazing selves. The very thing Alex said he wanted to avoid.

• Like 1

That's why I didn't go see the Moodies when they were here. I saw them about eight times - the first in 1971. I saw them when they were at their peak and they had Mike Pinder. Why go see them now?

I envy you that. I was in high school when long distance voyager came out, and didn't get a chance to see them. After that, I was more into the punk scene during and after college and kinda shelved the moodies and the rest of my hippy, folk music.

But I will say, their shows are loud, powerful and very entertaining. It does suck two band members aren't there, but that's their loss. I don't know if Pinder is just too old or there is a rift, but seriously, you close your eyes and you're taken back 40 years. They are that tight and that good.

• Like 1

There was rift in the middle of the production of Octave. That's when both Mike Pinder and Tony Clarke, their producer, walked out for good. They were never the same after that. Became very poppish.
  • Like 1

There was rift in the middle of the production of Octave. That's when both Mike Pinder and Tony Clarke, their producer, walked out for good. They were never the same after that. Became very poppish.

What caused the rift? I always wondered why Pinder walked. Guess I could google it but figured I'd be lazy today and let someone else explain to me! :)

What caused the rift? I always wondered why Pinder walked. Guess I could google it but figured I'd be lazy today and let someone else explain to me! :)

Don't know. They never really said, Justin Hayward is a master at evasion. And John Lodge is a shmoozer.

i like Mike Pinder a lot, and it was on account of him and him alone that those first seven albums are so revered, but he is a bit controlling. He is responsible for the Moodies' sound in those days. He was the one that brought in the glorious mellotron. I know he once said something to Graeme Edge that caused the two of them to never speak again. That might have happened during the recording of Octave.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Band dynamics are very rarely good. It's one reason bands don't last as long, and certainly not as famously, as say Rush have. A rare breed of creative person can invest so much time and effort/energy into something so personal and share that process with more than one other human being for 40+ years, and still talk to them. lol
  • Like 2