The Moody Blues

waluigithewalrus

Lorraine, Sixties music on the whole is very alien to me. I find it to be a decade of the most unusual sounds and I am blown away in a very different way I am sure to those who heard it back then, but even today, a certain sense of wonder takes over me.

I always enjoy your recommendations! The last one was Tim Buckley. I bet it was amazing back then...I have decades of rock to listen too, but when this was new...it must have been awe inspiring!

You have no idea how awe inspiring it was. Absolutely amazing. The only other song from that time period that I remember being as totally blown away on hearing for the very first time was Court of the Crimson King.

• Like 2

Lorraine, Sixties music on the whole is very alien to me. I find it to be a decade of the most unusual sounds and I am blown away in a very different way I am sure to those who heard it back then, but even today, a certain sense of wonder takes over me.

I always enjoy your recommendations! The last one was Tim Buckley. I bet it was amazing back then...I have decades of rock to listen too, but when this was new...it must have been awe inspiring!

You have no idea how awe inspiring it was. Absolutely amazing. The only other song from that time period that I remember being as totally blown away on hearing for the very first time was Court of the Crimson King.

It's funny but all these old bands...when I started listening to them, you'd think it would feel predictable but they are so different to today's music it was a massive jaw dropping moment, all these bands!

First time I heard The Doors...I remember this sinking feeling in my heart, a sadness I would never witness the birth of a whole era like this one. I swear, those sixties and seventies bands still carry a weight that when heard for the first time, blows one away!

I have also just noticed how similar Hayward sounds to the frontman of Love! Really similar!!!

• Like 1

LORRAINE NIGHTS IN WHITE SATIN IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE SONGS!!

I have been searching for this for years! I knew the melody but no lyrics...it's this one oh my word I never knew!!!!!!!

• Like 2

It has been in my head constantly for like fifteen years...I heard it once I hum it often it's this....WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW Edited by Segue Myles

And that wasn't the song that made that album famous - it was Tuesday Afternoon, and that was two years after the album was released. I remember buying the album in the Fall of 1969 and being amazed to see it was released in 1967.

As an aside, the album was recorded in one week. Isn't that amazing?

• Like 3

And that wasn't the song that made that album famous - it was Tuesday Afternoon, and that was two years after the album was released. I remember buying the album in the Fall of 1969 and being amazed to see it was released in 1967.

Really? This sounds like months of hard work...I take it is is a concept album? Or is there another reason for the spoken word parts?

I love it!

Playing In Search Of The Lost Chord.

I have just died.

This is just...out of this world Lorraine. I had no idea, NO IDEA how beautiful they sounded. The album I picked obviously left the best impression...

And the artwork...I love it!

I am so excited by this, its just heavenly!

• Like 1

If you can appreciate Rush, you should be able to appreciate the music of the sixties.and early 70s. It was all about experimenting with sound, pushing boundaries and being yourself. It was the real golden era of rock, even though so much of it is truly folk.

• Like 2

If you can appreciate Rush, you should be able to appreciate the music of the sixties.and early 70s. It was all about experimenting with sound, pushing boundaries and being yourself. It was the real golden era of rock, even though so much of it is truly folk.

I hear folk in most sixties music, especially British rock. It is a quality I adore, and a reason why I think The Kinks, Beatles, Love, ABBA and CCR are still so loved.

One of my favourite modern bands is Fleet Foxes, and they sound gloriously vintage and modern. Lorraine would love them!

• Like 1

Really? This sounds like months of hard work...I take it is is a concept album? Or is there another reason for the spoken word parts?

I love it!

We didn't know the phrase "concept album" back then. Closest was "rock opera" and that was reserved for Tommy.

It would be considered a concept album today though. So, the Moodies were ahead of other bands who later did concept albums. That's why I didn't think too much of Pink Floyd. I already had experienced the Moodies and didn't need them.

It was the use of the mellotron by the Moodies that grabbed me, and that was Mike Pinder's influence (he later left the band in the middle of making Octave in the very late seventies).

• Like 2

I love it!

We didn't know the phrase "concept album" back then. Closest was "rock opera" and that was reserved for Tommy.

It would be considered a concept album today though. So, the Moodies were ahead of other bands who later did concept albums. That's why I didn't think too much of Pink Floyd. I already had experienced the Moodies and didn't need them.

It was the use of the mellotron by the Moodies that grabbed me, and that was Mike Pinder's influence (he later left the band in the middle of making Octave in the very late seventies).

Floyd and me never got along. I tried and tried, but its a pretty noise.

The reason I wanted to know if it has a concept is because if so, I would love to examine the lyrics and decipher the albums meaning!

Lost Chord is gorgeous. I might actually prefer it!

Lost Chord was their second album but it was the first one I ever heard and bought in 1968.

If you like Legion of a Mind, see if you can find the version of it from Red Rocks in 1991 or 92 with the orchestra.

I am listening to this one now, in was about to post about it.

Very ethereal. Lorraine, I promise to check that one out!

It's glorious. It's music from another world.

• Like 2

Justin Hayward claims that The Moody Blues are the only band to ever play and sell completely out two shows in one day at Madison Square Garden in 1972.

Oooh I wouldn't be surprised!

All these bands are so obscure today. I find it so hard to believe there was once a time when bands like Moody Blues, Yes or The Doors were ever major superstars! I am in my own little world...but once these bands were really famous. It's sort of sad, but I do like discovering all these artists!

I don't know where in England you are, but Justin Hayward is from Swindon and John Lodge is from Birmingham.

I am from East Anglia. A boat ride away from France haha!

• Like 1

Playing On The Threshold Of A Dream.

Liking it a lot more than I did before! Tastes have sure changed the last couple of years!

I Love the Moody's. but ONLY the Classic 7.

How i'd rank them.

1. Days of Future Passed

2. Seventh Sojjourn

3. In Search of the Lost Chord

4. A Question of Balance

5. Evey Good Boy Deserves Favour

6. On the Threshold of a Dream

7. To Our Children's Children's Children

Mick

• Like 3

How i'd rank them.

1. Days of Future Passed

2. Seventh Sojjourn

4. A Question of Balance

Mick

I'm with you Mick about only the first seven albums. Someone said to me once that if I was a true Moodies' fan, I would love everything they did. :eh: So be it. I know good music when I hear it. And I know crummy music when I hear it.

If I were to rate the core seven:

1. Days of Future Passed

2. To Our Children's Children's Children

3. Seventh Sojourn

4. A Question of Balance

6. In Search of the Lost Chord

7. On The Threshold of a Dream

• Like 1

How i'd rank them.

1. Days of Future Passed

2. Seventh Sojjourn

4. A Question of Balance

Mick

I'm with you Mick about only the first seven albums. Someone said to me once that if I was a true Moodies' fan, I would love everything they did. :eh: So be it. I know good music when I hear it. And I know crummy music when I hear it.

1. Days of Future Passed

3. Seventh Sojourn

4. A Question of Balance

Lorraine......did Zumbi say that to you? lol'

Mick

• Like 2

Thought I'd pick this as a place to jump into the Moodies thread...I was just thinking of the lovely irony involved. Segue has just discovered them, really, just now...and it is a Tuesday afternoon.

(I know, Segue, it's Tuesday night where you are. But still!).

I know that Nights in White Satin was the first song of theirs that I ever heard. But I distinctly remember when I heard Tuesday Afternoon for the first time, also.

• Like 2

How i'd rank them.

1. Days of Future Passed

2. Seventh Sojjourn

4. A Question of Balance

Mick

1. Days of Future Passed

3. Seventh Sojourn

4. A Question of Balance

Lorraine......did Zumbi say that to you? lol'

Mick

No, but someone else on here did. I don't remember who.