Members of Rush do drugs? (Real ones, not pot)?

drugs neil peart

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#41 D3strukt

D3strukt

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2489 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostGeddyLeeRoth, on 08 November 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

Hey guy, pot is a real drug. Anywho, somehow Rush has managed to keep their drug use under control quite well, probably by using it less and less over the years. Apparently, none of them are addicts, although I've wondered about Alex's drinking (ha ha).

Cannabis is a plant.

Sponsored Post

#42 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Cannabis is a plant and contains a drug, THC, which should have been legalized years ago. Much safer than ETOH.

#43 librarian

librarian

Aquarian Librarian

• Members
  • 5714 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Deodorant!   oooh. scandalous....

#44 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

View Postgreg2112, on 08 November 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

Im sure they did drugs in their 70s heyday... could care less what they did then or do now (which Im sure is slim to none irregardless of this blog)

I've always assumed that all the bands from back then did drugs and if it didn't kill them or make them look like Keith Richards it was no big deal :lol:

#45 HalfwayToGone

HalfwayToGone

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Interests:Music—listening and performing.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Unless things have changed since Roadshow, Neil had a drink of scotch after each show, and after each ride on the Beemer.  He also smoked "red apples" all the time, whatever they are (Marlboro reds?).  Then there's the fact that Brutus is banned from the US, which makes me wonder if he was caught carrying some significant quantity of something illegal here.  All complete speculation, mind you.  I make no accusations, and have no basis to know any facts about it.  In any case, it's clear he's not a health nut at this point, although he's probably in pretty good physical condition from all that playing and riding.

#46 Good,bad,andrush

Good,bad,andrush

The Mathemagician

• Members *
  • 6152 posts
  • Interests:Blue mountain.

Math Magic.

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

View Postlifeson90, on 05 November 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

View PostupstateNYfan, on 05 November 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

It's silly to think they haven't done hard drugs. So what? Use doesn't equal abuse, and timing is everything.

In fact, any fan who's read Ghost Rider knows the answer.

yup, it's pretty clear from their demeanour over the years and lives in general these guys have never abused hard drugs although probably used more for creative purposes than anything else

i think if you're an artist of any description you're kinda obliged at some stage to experiment at least with mind-altering substances of some sort

just a general rule of thumb though, probably doesnt apply to everyone.
I'd agree with this, all of it. Especially the last part. I don't think they're necessary at all, but see no problem with someone who uses them "responsibly." That means, rarely, in the safety of their home or friend's home, with safety precautions taken and a general knowledge of the consequences.

#47 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

The Seeker

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

They've done stuff no doubt but they are now living in the reality of personal trainers, nutritionists, and a chef that travels with the band (i.e. living healthy).

#48 fs2112

fs2112

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

This thread reminds me of being in elementary school and being disappointed at my parents because they might actually have had sex.

#49 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1773 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

View Postfs2112, on 11 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

This thread reminds me of being in elementary school and being disappointed at my parents because they might actually have had sex.

:ebert:

:notworthy:

Edited by driventotheedge, 11 November 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#50 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5293 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

View Postfs2112, on 11 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

:rfl: :rfl: :rfl:

Indeed!

#51 HowItIs

HowItIs

Goddess in our Garden

• Members *
  • 6072 posts
  • Interests:Well, Rush of course..... Other Prog bands including Genesis, Yes, ELP. Reading, always reading. Stephen King, Carl Hiaasen, any kind of Non-Fiction and, naturally, Neil's books. Collecting; Fenton glass, Frankoma pottery, Disneyland souvenirs. Movies; we have about 300 DVDs. Word puzzles; crosswords and the like. Politics; I'm a writer for a political blog and a proud Progressive.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

Well, if it means anything.... Alex did tell us in Seattle Tuesday night that he loved Washington state and, "Let's light one up!" Between that and the High Times interview I'm pretty sure he still lights one up now and then.  :madra:

#52 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Nice. I'm sure they do...

So much good bud from the Emerald Triangle. Better yet, from BC!

A much safer drug than ETOH.

#53 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30145 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostHalfwayToGone, on 10 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

He also smoked "red apples" all the time, whatever they are (Marlboro reds?).
"Red Apples" is the name of a cigarette brand that does not exist. Tarantino has referenced them in a few films of his. One scene in which Red Apples are mentioned is in Pulp Fiction when Bruce Willis orders them at the bar after he talks to Marsellus Wallace. Peart isn't going to freely promote some ciggy company. ;)

#54 Rush2112Drums

Rush2112Drums

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Playing Drums & Guitar, playing drums in my band, listening music... especially RUSH :))

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

In the Beyond Lighted Stage, Geddy says about Caress of Steel "I think we were pretty high when we made most of that record" or something, if i remember right :D

#55 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 79250 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostGeddysMullet, on 10 November 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

Im sure they did drugs in their 70s heyday... could care less what they did then or do now (which Im sure is slim to none irregardless of this blog)

I've always assumed that all the bands from back then did drugs and if it didn't kill them or make them look like Keith Richards it was no big deal :lol:

Is Keith Richards still alive..?  :P

#56 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

Non-Binary

• Members
  • 5293 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostBabycat, on 20 November 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

View PostGeddysMullet, on 10 November 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

Is Keith Richards still alive..?  :P

:yes:

Posted Image

#57 teamski

teamski

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have to align myself with those squares out there that would be disappointed with extended drug use by RUSH.  I like to think that when Gene Simmons talked about Geddy, Alex and Neil hiding out in their dressing room while everybody else was going wild, that meant that they didn't buy into the drug culture wholesale.  Sure, they used drugs, but I hope that it was transitory more than anything else.  RUSH has been my life music group since I was 10 back in 1981, and I consider them the "good" guys of rock.  I hope that is the case.  I'm sure it is.

-Ski

#58 -D-RocK-

-D-RocK-

knuckle draggin' canucklehead

• Members *
  • 9854 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to list but here are some: Cycling, Girls, Hiking, Books, Food & Wine, Hockey, Football, Travel, Girls, Aviation, My Telescope, Skiing & Boarding, etc. etc. etc........

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Check out the clip of Alex on you tube pissed/stoned off his tits on the beach trying to play 2112!!

Link??

#59 Roadcrew

Roadcrew

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Sports ( Manchester United fan ) music tv

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

My name is Peter Brockbank, and I wrote Legends of Brocklehurst. I joined The Forum when, by accident, I came across this discussion. First I want confirm I did drive NEP on both '88 and '92 legs of the European Tour. I am not some internet wannabe pretending to be someting I am not. Everything I wrote in my story is true as far as my aging memory can tell. I had no idea that the mention of certain matters while visiting Neil in The Savoy Hotel would cause to much distress. After reading comments about that post, I removed the " offending " words.
The reason I mentioned that in the first case was to prove Neil is in fact human, not a machine, a lot of you fans have this set idea that he is unfriendly, uncommunicative, and generally is a dour character. I have always maintained, as Chris Lea does in the part he wrote, Neil is a very funny, humane, caring guy. I never could have guessed at your reaction. I really think some of you are very naive when I read your comments. As well as brilliant musicians, do your heroes also have to be paragons of virtue ? No one is saying anyone is a drug addict, over doing various chemical stimulants. It is a fact at certain times all rock groups have indulged. There was no slur meant on anyone's name. If I said I got drunk with one of the band, would that be wrong ? How the fact that one, or all, of Rush have taken drugs, now and then, can alter the way you think about them is amazing, and almost unblievable to me.
I can't speak for the USA but over here half the people under 40 ( and plenty over ) are using recreational drugs at leat once a week. The other half can't afford to !.
I would be pleased to read your thoughts on this, and will answer any questions.

Edited by Roadcrew, 09 December 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#60 Mika

Mika

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

Hi, Peter; thanks for your thoughts.

I think a lot of us hold Rush as being special, and thus kind of above the usual trappings of rock-stardom. Many of us are pleased that the Rush boys seem to be rather outstanding people with no blatant problems often associated with a rock-and-roll lifestyle, and this elevates our appreciation of them. Of course, one can say that well, why should anything affect our liking of their music other than the music itself? and this is a fair question. Speaking for myself, the favourable image I've formed of the Rush boys has made their music that much more special to me. If the same music was being produced by rude, mean, and yes, drug-addled men, my appreciation of their music would be lessened. Yes, that's being biased, but integrity is a big turn-on (to use a term Geddy's been fond of!) to me, and for me and for others, integrity includes the abstinence of reliance on drugs.

I understand the dabbling in recreational substances, for creativity's sake or otherwise, but it's the reliance that's not my cup of tea. I have an idea of Rush being awesome enough with their musicality that they don't need drugs to be able to produce awesome music, and I respect that, though I realize that's just my idea of them, and not necessarily how it is. I like to think that the boys don't need drugs to be able to make music, don't need drugs to be able to live day-to-day. They have an image as normal guys, and doing drugs doesn't really fit in with this image.The boys seem to be on a level that they don't need artificial influences; they are comfortable with themselves and their capacity to live well, without 'enhancements', and I think this has been attractive to a lot of fans.

I don't want to put Rush on a pedestal, and am uncomfortable when others do so, because if Rush fails in my own selfish expectations of them, they will fall and I'll be the only one hurting from it. No one is perfectly virtuous, and it is unreasonable to think anyone should be. I think Rush just have a particular, more 'clean-cut' image, and this has attracted a lot of people who are happy to see a band make it big without chemically cheapening themselves.

To move on slightly: I'm pleased when I hear, say, about Geddy striving to be fit and healthy; this meshes with my own lifestyle beliefs, and I'm happy when a 'celebrity' I admire is interested in being well. Being biased, my respect for Geddy, and therefore Rush, increases. This makes no logical sense to increasing my enjoyment of their music, but it does.

Basically, it comes down to personal beliefs. If someone believes in racial equality, he would be sad to find out his favourite band has used racial slurs. If someone doesn't like the use of any kind of drugs, that person will be sad to learn his favourite band is big on drugs.

Gosh, this has taken forever to type out. I hope anyone reading it isn't bored and that I get a point or two across! :S

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drugs, neil peart

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users