Jump to content


Members of Rush do drugs? (Real ones, not pot)?

drugs neil peart

  • Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#21 Ancient Ways

Ancient Ways

    That's Itâ„¢ Sig

  • Members
  • 15996 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:iEarth
  • Interests:Hanging out with my kids, riding my bike, playing guitar.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

I'm guessing that Lipitor, Cialis, and Rogaine are much better candidates for them to be involved with at this point.

Sponsored Post

#22 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

It's silly to think they haven't done hard drugs. So what? Use doesn't equal abuse, and timing is everything.

In fact, any fan who's read Ghost Rider knows the answer.

#23 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

View PostupstateNYfan, on 05 November 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

It's silly to think they haven't done hard drugs. So what? Use doesn't equal abuse, and timing is everything.

In fact, any fan who's read Ghost Rider knows the answer.

In Ghost Rider does Neil talk about doing a bunch of coke?

#24 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

I don't know if I'd say that, but he definitely alludes to using.

#25 lifeson90

lifeson90

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

View PostupstateNYfan, on 05 November 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

It's silly to think they haven't done hard drugs. So what? Use doesn't equal abuse, and timing is everything.

In fact, any fan who's read Ghost Rider knows the answer.

yup, it's pretty clear from their demeanour over the years and lives in general these guys have never abused hard drugs although probably used more for creative purposes than anything else

i think if you're an artist of any description you're kinda obliged at some stage to experiment at least with mind-altering substances of some sort

just a general rule of thumb though, probably doesnt apply to everyone.

#26 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

    The Sphere

  • Members
  • 8319 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Maine
  • Interests:The Ocean

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

:facepalm:

Oh No   .

Edited by Chicken hawk, 05 November 2012 - 10:01 PM.


#27 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

View Postlifeson90, on 05 November 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

View PostupstateNYfan, on 05 November 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

It's silly to think they haven't done hard drugs. So what? Use doesn't equal abuse, and timing is everything.

In fact, any fan who's read Ghost Rider knows the answer.

yup, it's pretty clear from their demeanour over the years and lives in general these guys have never abused hard drugs although probably used more for creative purposes than anything else

i think if you're an artist of any description you're kinda obliged at some stage to experiment at least with mind-altering substances of some sort

just a general rule of thumb though, probably doesnt apply to everyone.

I don't know that coke is considered a "mind altering" drug, or that doing it like a champ at age 52 is seen as "experimenting".

#28 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53762 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Makes me wonder if Neil ever ventured into trying ayahuasca when he was down in South America...

#29 Gemari77

Gemari77

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 236 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Call me naive then....

I just have a hard time believing this, and I'm simply not going to believe it, as to not ruin my idea of Rush and what they are.

Rush are...or I'd like to "think" Rush are too professional and down to earth to get wrapped up in such cliche Rock trappings. They may as well have been banging groupies and throwing TV's out of hotel rooms, then.

I just have a hard time believing family men who married young and were into living healthy (Neil was an avid bike rider and health nut for a while there) would be so self destructive. Plus, being around that stuff, as a former full time touring musician myself.... people's personalities change and are hard to be around and they eventually can't perform at the high level that Rush has consistently performed....

Hard drugs are for the Aerosmith's and Guns N' Roses of the world--the Behind The Music casualties. Rush have always been too sophisticated and intelligent for that....

At least in MY mind...and, if I'm wrong, I don't even want to know about it....

#30 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

They're awesome, but they are human too.

Neil talks about using in Ghost Rider.

I would say they are "balanced", not health nuts. Neil was a heavy smoker for years. Again, use does not equal abuse. The question was whether they've used hard drugs.

Of course they have. So what.

#31 driventotheedge

driventotheedge

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1774 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver,WA USA
  • Interests:Riding my Harley (2006 Road King)
    Razor clamming
    The Seattle Seahawks

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostAncient Ways, on 04 November 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I'm guessing that Lipitor, Cialis, and Rogaine are much better candidates for them to be involved with at this point.

:laughing guy:

#32 GeddysMullet

GeddysMullet

    Non-Binary

  • Members
  • 5293 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Northeast New Jersey
  • Interests:music, books, documentary films, parrots, long hair, big noses

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

View Postdriventotheedge, on 07 November 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostAncient Ways, on 04 November 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

I'm guessing that Lipitor, Cialis, and Rogaine are much better candidates for them to be involved with at this point.

:laughing guy:

I hope they don't use Lipitor!  That crap is more dangerous than most recreational drugs :yes:

#33 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostGemari77, on 07 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Call me naive then....

I just have a hard time believing this, and I'm simply not going to believe it, as to not ruin my idea of Rush and what they are.

Rush are...or I'd like to "think" Rush are too professional and down to earth to get wrapped up in such cliche Rock trappings. They may as well have been banging groupies and throwing TV's out of hotel rooms, then.

I just have a hard time believing family men who married young and were into living healthy (Neil was an avid bike rider and health nut for a while there) would be so self destructive. Plus, being around that stuff, as a former full time touring musician myself.... people's personalities change and are hard to be around and they eventually can't perform at the high level that Rush has consistently performed....

Hard drugs are for the Aerosmith's and Guns N' Roses of the world--the Behind The Music casualties. Rush have always been too sophisticated and intelligent for that....

At least in MY mind...and, if I'm wrong, I don't even want to know about it....

Groupies have come out and named Alex and Geddy as successful targets.  After watching the documentary with Alex at age 18, it's not hard to see why.

#34 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostLedRush, on 07 November 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

View PostGemari77, on 07 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Call me naive then....

I just have a hard time believing this, and I'm simply not going to believe it, as to not ruin my idea of Rush and what they are.

Rush are...or I'd like to "think" Rush are too professional and down to earth to get wrapped up in such cliche Rock trappings. They may as well have been banging groupies and throwing TV's out of hotel rooms, then.

I just have a hard time believing family men who married young and were into living healthy (Neil was an avid bike rider and health nut for a while there) would be so self destructive. Plus, being around that stuff, as a former full time touring musician myself.... people's personalities change and are hard to be around and they eventually can't perform at the high level that Rush has consistently performed....

Hard drugs are for the Aerosmith's and Guns N' Roses of the world--the Behind The Music casualties. Rush have always been too sophisticated and intelligent for that....

At least in MY mind...and, if I'm wrong, I don't even want to know about it....

Groupies have come out and named Alex and Geddy as successful targets.  After watching the documentary with Alex at age 18, it's not hard to see why.

Which doesn't mean that Rush aren't substantially less into the rock-star lifestyle than others.  But come on, if you're 22, on the road, and part of a band, what are the chances you don't do some drugs and hook up with some chicks?

To me it's more surprising that Neil continued his cocaine use, and at such a level, through the age of 52, at least.

#35 GeddyLeeRoth

GeddyLeeRoth

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:KC MO
  • Interests:My family. Music- Classical, Jazz, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, and Metal. Revisionist History and Anthropology, UFOlogy, Astronomy, Tolkein, Game Of Thrones (books), Star Wars, Weight Training, not completely growing up.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

Hey guy, pot is a real drug. Anywho, somehow Rush has managed to keep their drug use under control quite well, probably by using it less and less over the years. Apparently, none of them are addicts, although I've wondered about Alex's drinking (ha ha).

#36 LedRush

LedRush

    The Counterparts Remain The Same

  • Members *
  • 24836 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Very small southeast Asian island
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

View PostGeddyLeeRoth, on 08 November 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

Hey guy, pot is a real drug. Anywho, somehow Rush has managed to keep their drug use under control quite well, probably by using it less and less over the years. Apparently, none of them are addicts, although I've wondered about Alex's drinking (ha ha).

A real drug like caffeine?  Except less addictive, of course.

#37 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 30145 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostGemari77, on 07 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Call me naive then....

I just have a hard time believing this, and I'm simply not going to believe it, as to not ruin my idea of Rush and what they are.

Rush are...or I'd like to "think" Rush are too professional and down to earth to get wrapped up in such cliche Rock trappings. They may as well have been banging groupies and throwing TV's out of hotel rooms, then.

I just have a hard time believing family men who married young and were into living healthy (Neil was an avid bike rider and health nut for a while there) would be so self destructive. Plus, being around that stuff, as a former full time touring musician myself.... people's personalities change and are hard to be around and they eventually can't perform at the high level that Rush has consistently performed....

Hard drugs are for the Aerosmith's and Guns N' Roses of the world--the Behind The Music casualties. Rush have always been too sophisticated and intelligent for that....

At least in MY mind...and, if I'm wrong, I don't even want to know about it....
The kindest, most thoughtful people in the world have done self-destructive things again and again WHILE raising and providing for a family. No matter how godlike their musical abilities make them appear, they're still human.

#38 Sathington WillOUghby

Sathington WillOUghby

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 110 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 November 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:


...they're still human.

Blasphemer!!!

#39 ReGorLaTroy

ReGorLaTroy

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 12523 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North of Dragontown

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I wouldn't think they "do" hard drugs now, (perhaps smoke Marijuana) but would venture to guess that they have used harder drugs in the past.

#40 greg2112

greg2112

    Solar Federalist

  • Members
  • 2915 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Washington, DC

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Im sure they did drugs in their 70s heyday... could care less what they did then or do now (which Im sure is slim to none irregardless of this blog)





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: drugs, neil peart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users