BILLY CORGAN TO REFORM SMASHING PUMPKINS!!!!!!!!!!

Incredible news. I just bought the new album by him and have tickets to see both of his SF shows next month. I wonder what the chances of other Pumpkins members showing up. I never thought that thier breakup would be a permanent thing, and cant wait till they start touring again.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jun 21 2005, 10:44 PM)
Incredible news. I just bought the new album by him and have tickets to see both of his SF shows next month. I wonder what the chances of other Pumpkins members showing up. I never thought that thier breakup would be a permanent thing, and cant wait till they start touring again.

cool!! Have fun at the concert! smile.gif yes.gif

Hopefully, they won't be as popular as they had been before. Gish was stellar but once they got popular, their music started to go downhill.

I don't want yet another good band become a sellout.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 22 2005, 05:36 AM)
Hopefully, they won't be as popular as they had been before. Gish was stellar but once they got popular, their music started to go downhill.

I've heard this being thrown at them so much, but what about them sold out? After Gish, they wanted to put out a double cd, which thier record label refused to allow because the band still hadnt proved that they had the audience that would buy a double cd. So even though they had written enough material for a double album, they chose the best songs to go on Siamese Dream, and later used the remaining songs for Pisces Iscarot. Once that record became popular, they were given the o.k. to make Mellon Collie. Yes, Mellon Collie became popular, but I still dont see how they 'sold out' to make it. If they really were out to sell out, then Adore would have been a Mellon Collie part 2, which it most certainly isnt. Adore takes on a completely different direction, with themes and musical ideas that for the casual listener are almost impossible to immediatly pick up on. Despite being probably the most inaccesable album they have made, it probably thier most personal and deepest one. I still dont see how they sold out though, there is a difference between getting popular and selling out.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jun 22 2005, 07:02 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 22 2005, 05:36 AM)

I've heard this being thrown at them so much, but what about them sold out? After Gish, they wanted to put out a double cd, which thier record label refused to allow because the band still hadnt proved that they had the audience that would buy a double cd. So even though they had written enough material for a double album, they chose the best songs to go on Siamese Dream, and later used the remaining songs for Pisces Iscarot. Once that record became popular, they were given the o.k. to make Mellon Collie. Yes, Mellon Collie became popular, but I still dont see how they 'sold out' to make it. If they really were out to sell out, then Adore would have been a Mellon Collie part 2, which it most certainly isnt. Adore takes on a completely different direction, with themes and musical ideas that for the casual listener are almost impossible to immediatly pick up on. Despite being probably the most inaccesable album they have made, it probably thier most personal and deepest one. I still dont see how they sold out though, there is a difference between getting popular and selling out.

yes.gif goodpost.gif

Today Billy gave a new interview about this...apparently "it's not going to be a rosy version of a Pixies-esque reunion." I guess that means he is going to break new ground again with the Pumpkins and not just go on a nostalgia tour. Good, good.

Everything he touches is great, so whatever he does here will probably kick ass. Totally digging his new solo album.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 6 2006, 06:32 PM)
I think they're playing Coachella... don't know if it's the original lineup, though.

Or maybe they're not, maybe I'm insane.

Nope, it was rumored, but Tool is going to be headlining the second night, not Smashing Pumpkins.

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 6 2006, 09:25 PM)
Anymore news on this? Smashing Pumpkins is a great band!

ohh i hope its not just a rumor unsure.gif

I liked em but Indy got me into them alot more since i been with him

they rawk 1022.gif

would love to see em in concert yes.gif

Dispite all my rage...im still just a rat in a cage.... 1022.gif 1022.gif 653.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 6 2006, 10:37 PM)
I think they're playing Coachella... don't know if it's the original lineup, though.

Nope, it was rumored, but Tool is going to be headlining the second night, not Smashing Pumpkins.

Oh, well, better Tool than the Pumpkins. If only I was going to attend... sad.gif

I'll have to get into SP more before I get too concerned abouta reunion.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 7 2006, 02:12 PM)

Oh, well, better Tool than the Pumpkins. If only I was going to attend... sad.gif

If you're looking for somewhere to start, I would highly recommend Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. That is probably thier most easily accessable bit of work, with vast number of hits that made it onto radio. Very few skippers. If you dont feel like springing for a double album though, Siamese Dream is a good place to start as well.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 7 2006, 07:35 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 7 2006, 02:12 PM)

If you're looking for somewhere to start, I would highly recommend Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. That is probably thier most easily accessable bit of work, with vast number of hits that made it onto radio. Very few skippers. If you dont feel like springing for a double album though, Siamese Dream is a good place to start as well.

I almost bought Mellon Collie used (but in no doubt good condition) for $12. I ended up not buying it, and I kind of regret it (I don't remember what I bought instead).

I'll try and pick one of those up sometime.

Archived