Alex Lifeson vs Eddie Van Halen

vital signz

I think Alex is more dynamic... different sounds, not so linear, where as Eddie just shreds every song, which gets a tad repetitive.

Am i stupid?

• Like 2

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Oct 3 2012, 09:55 PM)
I think Alex is more dynamic... different sounds, not so linear, where as Eddie just shreds every song, which gets a tad repetitive.

Am i stupid?

Nope. I couldn't agree more.

EVH is a one-trick-pony. Alex is a versatile guitarist who is much, much better.

Here's the full list:

http://dl.guitarworld.com/GreatestGuitaristReadersPollBracket.jpg

Interestingly people are stating that May took out Page, but it is not listed on the bracket. I am wondering if it's due to some suspicion of voting irregularity or something since it seems so unlikely. Brian May is great. Better than Jimmy Page? Not fully believable IMHO.

• Like 1

Wow, Satriani beat Gilbert?! ohmy.gif Gilbert plays so much better IMO. But, where's Nels Cline, or Guthrie Govan?

Mustaine beat Petrucci?! no.gif no.gif no.gif

Wylde beat Vai, no.gif no.gif no.gif

I'm voting for Alex here, but so many people who don't like Rush will most likely vote for Van Halen, and I agree EVH does get repetitive.

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but EVH will probably win this. Probably only because his name is much more recognizable. Now, if Alex's name were Alex Rush, he'd probably have a better shot smile.gif

Of course I think Alex's playing is much more interesting and versatile, and EVH does get pretty repetitive, but I'm afraid it comes down to a popularity contest

As much as I love Alex and the diversity in his playing...I will be voting for EVH.

The reason I wanted to learn how to play guitar came after I heard EVH for the first time.

I don't think I'm alone in saying that for me and a lot of guitar players around my age, 44, that Edward was a huge influence and the biggest reason to pick up the guitar in the first place.

Either way there is no denying that both are fantastic players.

• Like 1

Sorry, I vote Eddie (won't actually mess w/the poll though). He's my #1 All-Time Guitar MVP. I still get goosebumps listening to him. Rush is my all-time favorite band, but the sum is greater than the whole when it comes to their guitars.

EVH is slaughtering Lifeson. Frankly, if it were the other way around, it would be bogus. No one on the world would think Lifeson should win this poll. These things always come down to Hendrix, EVH, Page. In my opinion, Lifeson plays circles around all 3, at least from a melodic, emotive, and versatility standpoint, but my opinion will never be shared by the masses and at the end of the day who cares?