Alex Lifeson vs Eddie Van Halen

vital signz

I don't know if it is true but I have read rumors online that Eddie would show up to other bands gigs , drunk and high off his ass asking to sit in. Running to other bands and asking to join when his popularity waned. I don't know if it is true BUT considering how he treated Michael Anthony in recent years it is easy to believe. I will always love what he did in the Dave era . Its is simply the most amazing display of virtuosity ever recorded. I just love Alex's musicianship and style also. He stayed true to Rush and basically helped his band mates become legends themselves. I know he wasn't exactly happy during the synth period and eventually had to put a stop to it . His style during that era was amazing in IMHO. Ed's playing is a lot more diverse then Al's but lets face it most of that he invented himself. No discounting that achievement don't get me wrong . Alex's playing is also highly intuitive like Eds ( insert Capt Obvious comment here) . They are both simply amazing . But I still lean toward Alex because not every thing he plays is a million miles a minute. There has to be spaces between the notes., Otherwise they lose their value.
  • Like 2

Alex is obviously the best guitarist for Rush and EVH the best for Van Halen, that's what the best means to me in this kind of comparison, just like saying who's the best bass player Paul McCartney or John Entwistle? Obviously Entwistle by a mile but they were both crucial to the respective bands they were in and most would agree that music history would be re-written if they had swapped places! Edited by New Digital Man